No. 3 BYU loses after dismissing player for honor code violation
Brigham Young University center Brandon Davies has been suspended for the rest of the season.
March 3rd, 2011

No. 3 BYU loses after dismissing player for honor code violation

Sticking to principles appears to carry a steep cost for the nation's third-ranked college basketball team.

A day after Brigham Young University dismissed center Brandon Davies from the team for violating the school's strict honor code, the No. 3-ranked Cougars were throttled Wednesday by unranked New Mexico.

"The honor code really reflects who we are as a university. It defines us and it does make us different," BYU spokeswoman Carrie Jenkins told CNN affiliate KSTU-TV.

Davies, a 6-9 sophomore from Provo, was the team's top rebounder and third-leading scorer. He received the Cougars' Academic Excellence award last season, according to an online profile.

BYU had been gunning for a high seed in the upcoming NCAA Tournament, but the team's fortunes took a tumble with Wednesday night's 82-64 loss to New Mexico.

University officials said Davies admitted violating the honor code at BYU, which is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormon Church.

The honor code requires all faculty, staff and students to:

• Be honest;
  • Live a chaste and virtuous life;
  • Obey the law and all campus policies;
  • Use clean language;
  • Respect others;
  • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse;
  • Participate regularly in church services;
  • Observe dress and grooming standards;
  • Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the honor code.

The code forbids homosexual behavior and bars members of the opposite sex from going beyond the lobby of the school's single-sex dormitories.

The dress and grooming standards forbid beards, tattoos and piercings for men and short or form-fitting clothes or bare feet in public for women.

The university did not say which part of the code Davies violated, but it did say he had not committed a crime. Davies' future as a student at BYU and his status for next season have yet to be determined.

Post by:
Filed under: College basketball • Religion • Sports • Utah
  1. jayh

Coffee and tea.. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

March 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Utah is a state run by the Mormon church – now I know why my clients there ask me to ship them alcohol directly to their homes. All top shelf and lots of it and did I forget to mention the Cuban cigars and Playboys....................

March 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chuch d

I bet BYU isn't in the top ten party schools
    I also bet this guy is way more honest that 90% of students and teachers at the school
    What is it 1820? This is from a religion that thinks its ok to have more that one wife

March 3, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dirk Anderson

It is NOT okay to have more than one wife in the LDS church. I am a faithful member of the LDS church . . . one wife is enough! lol

March 3, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nottaway

The Mormon church ceased the practice of polygamy toward the end of the 19th century. Any so-called mormon practicing it today is from one of the groups that splintered off the main Mormon church. One example is fundamentalist Mormons aka FLDS. There are others.
      There are concubines in the Bible. The Bible also had the practice of a brother marrying his dead brothers wife (in addition to an existing wife) to raise up seed to his dead brother (This was a question asked of Jesus, that in the resurrection whose wife would she be?). Muslims are allowed to have up to four wives. So polygamy abounds in the scriptures and other religions. Next thing you know you will be saying Mormons aren't Christians because they don't believe in the Holy Trinity the same way other Christian churches do, even though Mormons believe Jesus is the Son of God.

March 3, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dave

Mormons are morons.

March 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Dave, I am about as anti-mormonism as possible. I was raised in the lds church, and most of my family is still part of it. Although I don't agree with the lds church's teachings, I think it is wrong to label every mormon as a moron.

My parents are mormons, as are my niece and nephew and many of my friends. As a gay man, I am furious with the lds church over their recent attempts to make my second-class citizen status permanent. But I know that not all mormons are like that. Most of the ones I know are good, loving, honest, hard working people.

I take great offense when you label my friends and family as "morons".

March 3, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • skytag

I'll bet most Mormons are smarter than you.

March 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brian Coles

GIVE BYU CREDIT for standing up for their principles! This kid knew what he was getting into, plain and simple. And BYU didn't hesitate one second to put the sacrificial lamb (basketball–and all its millions in the NCAA, not Davies) on the altar and sacrafice it. Lesser schools with lesser-character graduates (most of you Libdogs on this comment column) wouldn't have the nerve to do this. I just wish Notre Dame would have been that way in my experience.

March 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tizocg

Any black person who goes to BYU should chane their name to Tom. They'll be treated like family. an uncle to be exact.

March 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian Coles

I know a black woman who went to that school in the 90's. She said she was quite surprised at the welcome and treatment. Her description was "like being greeted with palm branches and leaves." Doesn't surprise me. Your perception is grossly incorrect.

March 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • skytag

It would be faster to type "I hate Mormons."

March 3, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JoSmitty

He should have thought with his dick before he accepted admission, not after he enrolled! Oh well, live and learn!

March 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dadsnorz

How did Jim McMahon ever get past all of those rules on his way to the Bears?

March 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian Coles

Yep, this Davies kid is not the first BYU athlete who made speed bumps in their Honor Code program. This Man (and I mean it; he deserves a lot of respect for the way he stood up) did not sneer at the code; he just accepted the fact he didn't live up to it. Tanked Mcmahon, however, just sneared at it. . . . and took pains to never get caught. There are many more, however, that pushed it way past what Jimmie did. Those of us who live in the mountain West know that.

March 3, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. arch

I think sometimes these dudes who develop these codes go overboard a bit. In that honor code I didn't read anything that was involving honesty. It was all about being a good little doobie! He probably hadn't shaved for a few days and was walking around the halls not knowing his zipper was down! I have nothing against them for having their code, that is their business. However, there should be some flex. Reading the rules I didn't see anything that was worth a dismissal without appeal. If I were him I would withdraw and ask the ncaa for immediate acceptance into another schools basketball program. It wouldn't surprise me if BYU requires the student to ask for permission to go to the bathroom!

March 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mario

Attending or playing for a religion-based university has its pros and cons, depending on your personal convictions. I refuse to use the word "beliefs" because having beliefs (often construed as 'religious beliefs') is neither a universal human trait nor a requirement to be a moral and decent human being. Yes, I am an atheist. Thank you for reading.

March 3, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tammy

GO BYU GO! Has anyone reported on what Davies has to say about this?

March 3, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LBCSongbird

Whether you agree with BYU's honor code or not is a moot point. The point here is the player AGREED and signed the honor code. There were clear and concise rules and consequences to those rules. He broke the rule, he pays the price.

March 3, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. vegas guy

Having lived in a neighboring state of Utah for many years I have discovered there are some Mormons that are crooks and Liars just like the rest of the population. The BYU attendees are the cream of the crop and most LDS parents aspire for their children to be selected to attend. Mitt Romney is a BYU Graduate. Elect him and his administration will be full of BYU graduates, mark my word. This might be a good thing considering the state of our union. If he's got the balls to pull it off Washington will be a very different place

March 3, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

While I agree with you that there would be some definite benefits, our country is too far down the road of pop culture worship, anti-morals/ethics (because they associate them strictly with religion which is shunned), and simple rudeness/poor behavior.

March 3, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nottaway

No matter the religion or philosophy, you get enough of them gathered in the same place, you will see all kinds. Be it Baptists, Catholics, Buddhists, or Mormons. I have met plenty of Buddhists-in-name-only, Baptists-in-name-only, and Catholics-in-name-only. One reason I am glad I don't live in Utah anymore is because outside of Utah, if I meet someone who admits to being Mormon, they are like a good example of what a Mormon should be, and not a Utah Mormon who may or may not be a good example.

March 3, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Fig1024

that honor code is insane. No coffee or tea?
    They must be all hypocrites there, cause I doubt more than 20% of them actually able to follow all those stupid rules.

March 3, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • LWATCDR

Nope. I am LDS. I do not drink coffee, tea, or alcohol. Just as some Jewish people keep kosher this is much the same kind of rule.
      As to what % keep the rules? Well that depends on how one counts. If you count the ones that go to church most Sundays I would say around 85% to 90%. If you mean people that have never drank coffee, tea, or alcohol ever? Well I am sure a good number have been teens and tired it. Mormons are only human after all. So where do you set the bar is up to you but I would honestly say that more than 70% of active members make a real effort to live by the rules.

March 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mj

Just remember, Brigham Young and Joseph Smith could not live the honor code today. They, in fact, would have been expelled from BYU for their lifestyle and teachings. The historical facts that the church works so hard to suppress.

March 3, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |