No. 3 BYU loses after dismissing player for honor code violation
Brigham Young University center Brandon Davies has been suspended for the rest of the season.
March 3rd, 2011

No. 3 BYU loses after dismissing player for honor code violation

Sticking to principles appears to carry a steep cost for the nation's third-ranked college basketball team.

A day after Brigham Young University dismissed center Brandon Davies from the team for violating the school's strict honor code, the No. 3-ranked Cougars were throttled Wednesday by unranked New Mexico.

"The honor code really reflects who we are as a university. It defines us and it does make us different," BYU spokeswoman Carrie Jenkins told CNN affiliate KSTU-TV.

Davies, a 6-9 sophomore from Provo, was the team's top rebounder and third-leading scorer. He received the Cougars' Academic Excellence award last season, according to an online profile.

BYU had been gunning for a high seed in the upcoming NCAA Tournament, but the team's fortunes took a tumble with Wednesday night's 82-64 loss to New Mexico.

University officials said Davies admitted violating the honor code at BYU, which is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormon Church.

The honor code requires all faculty, staff and students to:

• Be honest;
  • Live a chaste and virtuous life;
  • Obey the law and all campus policies;
  • Use clean language;
  • Respect others;
  • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse;
  • Participate regularly in church services;
  • Observe dress and grooming standards;
  • Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the honor code.

The code forbids homosexual behavior and bars members of the opposite sex from going beyond the lobby of the school's single-sex dormitories.

The dress and grooming standards forbid beards, tattoos and piercings for men and short or form-fitting clothes or bare feet in public for women.

The university did not say which part of the code Davies violated, but it did say he had not committed a crime. Davies' future as a student at BYU and his status for next season have yet to be determined.

Post by:
Filed under: College basketball • Religion • Sports • Utah
  1. Rob

An "honor code" at a university named for a man who ordered the murder of over a hundred men, women and children, that's a laugh.

March 3, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Then don't focus on the who the "honor code" is named for. They wouldn't need an honor code if people knew how to properly behave and didn't immediately look to the negative aspects of something. In this case, you decide to focus on something that really doesn't have much bearing on the honor code itself. Yes, it is a little ironic, but the honor code itself has some good ideas.

March 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Zeus

apparently its not just coffee and tea, but caffeine in general.

which means no soda, and probably means no chocolate as well

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

March 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

While I may not agree with or abide by some of BYU's honor code criteria I respect them and it is clear how much better a place this country would be if more people followed the majority of them. Unfortunately, because several major religions relate to these morals, American culture has shunned them (because they are associated with religion) and mocked them in pop culture. Then people wonder why quality of life is going down, why there is tolerated violence and other poor behavior. You don't have to be religious to respect and encourage morality and ethics.

March 3, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. George

Ok...some real life BYU experiences should help clear up life on campus. I had a beard at BYU! Yes, It sounds unbelievable but it is true. I went to a doctor and he issued me a beard card. Yes, a beard card exists!

Living with a beard on the BYU campus was another story. Everywhere I went I got mostly the same reaction: You can't come in here. I would go to the testing center and the first thing they would say is: You can't come in here. I would say: I have a beard card. They would say that they thought this was a myth and I would show it to them and I would be let in.

No one ever ask me if I had a beard card. It was always: You are unacceptable with that beard. Oh wait....you have a beard card? OK....you are now acceptable. Outside appearance was all that mattered. I had to have a card to be accepted.

March 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Russ

I definitely commend the school for sticking with it's principles. However, I do find it ironic that this school is named after a terrible tyrant. Don't believe me. Look up the history of Brigham Young. He personally ordered the killing of people passing through the state of Utah during his reign as governor unless they carried a personal visa/pass from his administration in an effort to isolate off the morman faith. And yes, there were many wagon train parties massacred following his orders. Google it if you don't believe me.

March 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. woodie

This is very interesting. Create an impossible honor code, then treat violators like lepers. Nice. Why not just stone him or flog him like the other radicals religions do.

March 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Religion is nothing but BS

I agree. It's these people that always act like they're better than Muslims or something and yet they're flipping out if someone has a can of coke or eats a piece of chocolate. What a bunch of hypocrites. At least Muslims don't flip out over a girl having long hair or drinking a cup of tea. Honestly, aren't there more important things to worry about? What a petty bunch of people.

March 3, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crystal

An impossible honor code??? Are you kidding me? BYU has 30,000+ students a year at their Provo campus, not to mention their Idaho and Hawaii campuses. All students are required to live by these rules. As a graduate of BYU, I can attest that it is possible to live an honest and chaste life. Sorry you have never fulfilled that.

Also, I've never seen a Mormon "flip out" over tea, coffee, Coke, chocolate, or long hair and I've been a Mormon for 23 years. You obviously have never been around Mormons before. Don't you have better things to worry about than a school who you hates Honor Code? And who the freak said anything about Muslims? Ugh, you guys are a waste of my time.

March 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nottaway

I have met some knuckleheads who flip out when others don't live they way they have interpreted the scriptures or what their church leaders have said. I have met many who have been offended by idiots like that and because of that, will never give that particular religion a fair shake and judge it based on doctrine. This phenomenon is not limited to Mormons, but happens in all the other religions, also.
      Of course, I have also met plenty of agnostics and atheists who act like idiots toward people who don't subscribe to their particular philosophy.

March 3, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Banzai

I wonder if there were ever any BYU players on the Oakland Raiders roster....:-)

March 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian Coles

Just one of the best to ever play in Raider Nation: Todd Christiansen (sp?)

March 3, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. evensteven

Brandon heard the coach yell, "Put it in the hole."

He just got a little confused, that's all.

March 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dee

He signed the contract he should be held to it. On the other hand I cannot imagine why anyone would want to go there there is absolutely NO archeological or scientific evidence supporting the mormon fairy tale. Plus it is a creepy cult.

March 3, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Just before Hurrican Katrina made landfall, the mormon church has dispatched 14 full semi-trucks filled with food and first-aid supplies for the victims. Was that creepy?

March 3, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Religion is nothing but BS

I find it interesting that the minute you do something wrong, religion turns it's back on you. If religion can't help you right your wrongs, then what the hell is the point of religion? "Here, come to our wonderful religious "university", but the second you make a mistake will kick your ass out."

March 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amber

According to the Princeton Review, BYU has consistently outranked every university in the country in terms of accepted students who go on to enroll. It's a tough school to get into. If those who are admitted don't want to adhere to the honor code there are thousands of other students waiting to take their place. Just because someone is unusually gifted at basketball, physics, or latin doesn't make them exempt from the rules. If the honor code committee reviews his case and he decides to do what it takes to stay, then great. If Mr. Davies decides to attend a school with a less stringent behavioral code, then that's great too. It's not about BYU turning their back on him. It's about them holding all students to the same code of ethics.

March 3, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rebel without a cause

From what I have been hearing lately about what goes on at BYU it seems to be becoming a glorified Babysitting University to me.

March 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • evensteven

The Church teaches correct principles . . . and then forces them to do what is right.

March 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. toshmaster1

Religion is all phony!

March 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Oy Vey Az

Hey, you too can be a Moron. Just follow these few rules, and always blame the black kid for what goes wrong. "What a cult.

March 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian Coles

You too can be a blathering idiot like Oy Vez AZ by being a drunk frat boy who is in the middle of his 4th attempt to get through his freshman year of community college.

March 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swede68

Thanks Brian – that made my day!

March 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. james Griffin

For those of us who remember the cartoon character Super Chicken's favorite line: "YOU KNEW THE JOB WAS DANGEROUS WHEN YOU TOOK IT." I agree, he knew going in what the rules were and he should have abided by them or went to another school. I am a retired military and when I joined, I knew going in what the rules were. If I broke them, or got caught breaking them, I knew what the penalty would be. But with that all being said, from my experiences, it takes TWO to tango. What about the woman involved and why is her name not being pasted all over the papers and internet? Did she get expelled also? Give us the whole scoop on the issue so we can villify both participants instead of just one.

March 3, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SLA

"When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
    "She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." (John 8:10-11)

March 3, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nottaway

Don't forget the 'sin no more' part. She clearly knew better.

March 3, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |