No. 3 BYU loses after dismissing player for honor code violation
Brigham Young University center Brandon Davies has been suspended for the rest of the season.
March 3rd, 2011

No. 3 BYU loses after dismissing player for honor code violation

Sticking to principles appears to carry a steep cost for the nation's third-ranked college basketball team.

A day after Brigham Young University dismissed center Brandon Davies from the team for violating the school's strict honor code, the No. 3-ranked Cougars were throttled Wednesday by unranked New Mexico.

"The honor code really reflects who we are as a university. It defines us and it does make us different," BYU spokeswoman Carrie Jenkins told CNN affiliate KSTU-TV.

Davies, a 6-9 sophomore from Provo, was the team's top rebounder and third-leading scorer. He received the Cougars' Academic Excellence award last season, according to an online profile.

BYU had been gunning for a high seed in the upcoming NCAA Tournament, but the team's fortunes took a tumble with Wednesday night's 82-64 loss to New Mexico.

University officials said Davies admitted violating the honor code at BYU, which is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormon Church.

The honor code requires all faculty, staff and students to:

• Be honest;
  • Live a chaste and virtuous life;
  • Obey the law and all campus policies;
  • Use clean language;
  • Respect others;
  • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse;
  • Participate regularly in church services;
  • Observe dress and grooming standards;
  • Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the honor code.

The code forbids homosexual behavior and bars members of the opposite sex from going beyond the lobby of the school's single-sex dormitories.

The dress and grooming standards forbid beards, tattoos and piercings for men and short or form-fitting clothes or bare feet in public for women.

The university did not say which part of the code Davies violated, but it did say he had not committed a crime. Davies' future as a student at BYU and his status for next season have yet to be determined.

Post by:
Filed under: College basketball • Religion • Sports • Utah
  1. tizocg

what?

March 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. fsmgroupie

Did god have s-ex with the vir-gin Mary? Was it with her permission? Did she even know about it ? Were they married?Shame on you god !! You are off the team!!

March 3, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

Uh, pretty sure God didn't attend BYU or sign the honor code therefore rendering your argument moot. The issue isn't over whether or not you agree with the honor code, or if you think it's the dumbest thing you've ever heard of (and perhaps it is). The fact is, this player signed it, knew he was accountable for it, and is accepting the consequences. Bravo Brandon! Way to be honest and take it like a man even when you're in the public eye.

March 3, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sadie

Yeah, finally a college that sticks to its honor codes even if it costs them. Way to go BYU!

March 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. noemi

This is fo dirk a u say u only hav 1 wife.u don't mention the sisters wife I'm sure if your closet is opend far enough they well find more and you people are not a religon u r A CULT.

March 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hoss

Sounds a lot like the "Don't ask; don't tell" policy the military had. Until some one shows me that BYU is as diligent about investigating students upholding the honor code as they are at handing out punishment when it is broken I can only call them a hypocrite.

March 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Patrick

Okay peeps. I just want to throw my BYU experience in here. Maybe it will help people understand that we're not robots, but we believe in honoring our word, which everyone should. I HATED going to school there. HATED it, and did transfer (football) to a D-I AA school (Idaho State). I got sick of having to shave. I mouthed off about certain rules all the time, like curfew. My favorite trick was to take a starbucks cup and fill it with hot chocolate and walk through the library entrance by the security guard and sip it casually while he chased me down and demanded the cup, as soon as I had emptied it I gave it to him and thanked him. Everyday at 5:30 they lower the flag and the national anthem plays. Everybody stops and places hand over heart. It becomes a "i am going to out righteous and out patriotic you" situaiton so I always walked resolutely on and shouted "play ball" as soon as it ended to many a steely eyed glare.
    I also never broke the rules. Not one time. Not ever. I loved that my classes started and ended with prayer, and I really loved the religious classes because it was a forum and an opportunity to vigorously pursue the scriptures. Religion classes (new testament, etc.) are among the most difficult there. I couldn't wait to get out of there, but there were things I really missed. All in all, nobody is forced to do anything, yes there are a ton of self-righteous jerks, it is unique it is really high quality education, and the honor code makes a better person out of you.

March 3, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

I did the same thing during the playing of the nation anthem....when it was done I would look at those watching me and say "I am Canadian!" I loved to see the light bulb go on in their heads!

March 3, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • AR

"play ball!" hahahaha LOVE IT! I've gotta find a way to implement that in my everyday life.

March 3, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael Wong

BYU also has an astronomy professor who uses his position to spread 9/11 conspiracy rumours, claiming that "super-thermite" was used to bring down the WTC. Yay, bonus!

March 4, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • bill gilman

What the mormons have never understood is that Jesus taught that Grace and Mercy ALWAYS trumps the law. No one can keep God's law and no one can keep the BYU honor code. This guy just got caught. but again, there should have been mercy and grace showns and there was not. Once again proving that Mormons are not and never have been Christians.

March 4, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matthew Folks

This is more towards Bill Gillman than the original poster but seriously? Using this as a forum to explain in the most round-about way possible why Mormons aren't Christian. I know a guy from high school that was kicked out of Liberty University for smoking marijuana. Does that mean Jerry Falwell and the evangelical movement are all a big non-christian farce?

March 5, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. mac316

elevated morals this is good wish I had what it takes to go to BYU but I know I would have been tossed in a minute so kudos to those that have the strong will

March 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

BYU and Utah suck. Just sayin'. I am glad they are losing now. Probably the most arrogant group of people I have ever met. Winning any more games would just make them more obnoxious.

March 3, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Such an intelligent response! I hope you are not in position of responsibility.

March 4, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jon

Keeping the honor code really wasn't a hard thing from my experience. At BYU you are surrounded by like minded people who have the desire to live honorable lives. What a great place to spend your college years, however, I do enjoy living on the east coast since college at BYU.

March 3, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |

BYU shouldn't force it's version of honor on a person there to get an education. Some of these student athletes go to these schools only because they recieved scholarships, not because they share a finite view of honor.

March 4, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • why not

@no- No one holds a gun to their head and forces them to do anything. Surely, if they received a scholarship for BYU, then received other scholarships. If not, still their choice not to attend if they don't like the rules.

March 4, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ana

Just FYI, the barefeet thing isn't just for women, And it's not a modesty thing, it's a liability thing. Just like you can't walk around a grocery store barefoot, you can't walk around BYU campus barefoot. They don't want you stepping on something and suing.

March 3, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. scifigal2k

I am pleased that BYU stands up for what it believes in and isn't hypocritical in the situation.

March 3, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not Children

Yet is impedes what an individual may stand for and has the right to stand for.

March 4, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
    • GP

Uh, are you aware how hypocritical it is to have a honor code in the name of Bringham Young himself, who murdered several DOZEN innocent French, including women and children? How dense can you people be!

March 4, 2011 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. peggy

I would not trust that bunch for a minute. I am sure, almost positive that the rule enforcers are not themselves rule keepers. I attended one such school and sent my daughter to one. Thankfully, my granddaughter attends an ungodly private school with no hypocrisy. Having said that, I think some moral discipline is good.

March 3, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Earnest

Mercy Lord.

March 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Daym

What is a black guy doing in Utah at BYU?

March 4, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Daym: Brando grew up in Utah County where he was adopted. As a parent of two BYU students i am glad my children are growing up in such a great enviornment. Come tour the campus and talk to the 30,000 students who sign the honor code. There is also a BYU Idaho with over 25,000 students and BYU Hawaii which have the same honor code. The honor code is greater than just this insident or basketball season. Why does BYU Law School. MBA and Accounting programs rank nationally so high? I think the honor code has a lot to do with it. Integrity, hard work and ethics continue to slide and I am greatful that a school, athletic department will take a stand. No, they are not perfect but I have not found a group living a better standard.

March 4, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Now THAT's offensive. Why WOULDN'T a black guy be at BYU in Utah? LDS (and Utah) are equal opportunity...

March 4, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. tony

how does not drinking coffee or tea makes you righteous exactly. MORMON( OCCULT CREATED BY SHYSTER ). THESE ARE THE SAME SOBS THAT WOULD NOT ALLOW BLACKS TO JOING THEIR CHURCH UNTIL 1965. STILL THE MOST RACIST CHURCH AROUND

March 4, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Jake

Please check your facts before carelessly throwing out crass accusations that are completely absurd. The Mormon church is not a cult and there have been black members since the church was organized in 1830, they were simply not allowed to hold the Priesthood. That was changed, however, in 1978. And all members regardless or race, color or nationality are afforded the same blessings and privileges as any member provided they live up the standards of the church.

March 4, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

the Mormon church is a cult. if you say otherwise i won't hear a thing you have to say after wards.

March 4, 2011 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
    • kline

mark–all churches and religious traditions are cultic; if say otherwise we will not listen to a thing you say afterwards.

March 4, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

As Kline says, all religions are "cults" in one way or another, to others that don't believe in that religion.

As for not drinking coffee and tea – it doesn't MAKE you more righteous. By not drinking it, however, you don't alter your body chemistry, which allows you to make more focused decisions.

This is actually one of the tenets of Buddhism as well. We are told not to do anything to alter our body chemistry, because then we don't make rational decisions which are needed to live a focused and "righteous" life. Caffeine alters the body chemistry of some people in a radical manner.

Still, as Buddhists, we aren't made to feel guilty if we drink the occasional coffee...

March 4, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. Barry

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" (Baretta theme song.)

March 4, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |