Girl, 10, upstages Lady Gaga
Lady Gaga may be one of the world's biggest stars right now, but a little girl stole her thunder, and her heart, Thursday night.
March 4th, 2011

Girl, 10, upstages Lady Gaga

A 10-year-old girl who became a YouTube sensation by singing a Lady Gaga song joined her idol onstage Thursday night - and stole the show.

Maria Aragon of Winnipeg, Canada, walked onstage to wild cheers from the concert audience at Toronto's Air Canada Centre. Gaga picked her up in a hug and spun her around in the air.

Maria, wearing shiny black tights, a pink top and a tiny leather jacket, then sat on Gaga's lap on the piano bench and poised her fingers over the keyboard.

"I'm really excited that Maria is here today, because Maria represents what this song is all about," Gaga said, according to CNN affiliate CBC. "It's all about the next generation and the future, and no more divisiveness."

Maria began to play "Born This Way," the Gaga song she sang on the video that has drawn 17.7 million views in 15 days on YouTube. Gaga worked the pedals. The crowd went insane.

At the end of the song, the little girl thanked the crowd, Lady Gaga and her family and friends.

"I am a 10-year-old girl from Winnipeg, and I came her to sing to you guys, and I hope you enjoyed it," she said.

Gaga was tearful as Maria left the stage.

"Lady Maria from Winnipeg!" the megastar announced.

Maria later returned to the stage for an impromptu dance during the concert's post-midnight encore, CBC reported.

Friday morning, Gaga tweeted: "Myself +10 year Old Lady Maria of Winnipeg. She signed my t-shirt, she ate my heart, just like you."

It all started two weeks ago, when Gaga spotted the video and went on Twitter to tell her 8.5 million followers: "Can't stop crying watching this. This is why I make music. She is the future."

Since then, Maria has appeared on "Good Morning America" and "The Ellen DeGeneres show," and her video was posted on Perezhilton.com.

“I’m getting kind of tired, but this is for people and people’s entertainment,” Maria told the Toronto Star, which reported that her school chums have been asking for her autograph.

“I have a signature, actually. I’ve been practicing it for quite a while, because I do art, too. I didn’t know that I would have to sign it for other people, like my supporters,” she said.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Celebrity • Lady Gaga • Music • Showbiz
  1. Nate C

And the comment section is eerily quiet, devoid of the usual "OMG LADY GAGA IS SUCH A BAD INFLUENCE FOR KIDS" haters

March 4, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. LostMyHead

So it is appropriate for a 10 year old to hear and watch some of these songs?
    I enjoy her music, but the majority is not for those under 14.

March 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get Out

Age limits like that are arbitrary and serve little purpose, you whiny fool.

April 1, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lady Gag

Watch me as I gag on this _____________.

March 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David W.

Wow....You guys can hate on a talented 10 year old. That is a new low....so much for nurturing a talented youth. I am not a fan of Lady Gaga but showcasing this girls talent during her concert was an awesome thing to do. GOT LADY MARIA!!!

March 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • American Idiot

You must be reading something I'm not. I don't see any comments against the girl, just against Lady Gagagagagag.

March 4, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sally

Somebody is jealous of something here...That was a very cool thing for Lady Gaga to do, and the little girl will never forget it.

I've always been a fan of...let's say, VERY heavy stuff, but I've found myself listening to Lady Gaga in recent months and enjoying it. People just don't like her for the sole reason that she is a megastar.

March 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PDXDJ

Lady GG has talent and her biggest talent is marketing/shock. In the stylings of her previously groundbreaking foresisters Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and many others, she has our attention and can, at times, do something that makes us smile, right before we gag again.

Just because shes mostly an eyesore and doesnt use her real musical talent as she p.diddy's her way through this decades music industry, doesnt mean she cant occasionally do something worthy.

March 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SHOOOOOO

I just farted. Shoooooo : )

March 4, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Aww Sh~t

Here we go again worrying about a celeb america is a boring a~~ country bring war on to american soil so we can have some real fun please!

March 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

That's all fine and dandy. But don't go thinking you were really just "born that way". It's only a song.

March 5, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Chanda

How do you know people aren't born that way? Have you conducted some scientific research to prove your theory?

March 6, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. kim

Just crazy a future of drug and a pointless existence that crazy goofy gimic artist did a interview at a fashion show with a designer and she made it clear she does not care about intelligence she did not answer question told the reporter they where being to indepth and she did not care what kind of influence she has on the youth as long as she happy she could careless! That is what she thinks of any of your children...She going to make monsters alright.

March 5, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • christopher

@Kim "...she does not care about intelligence she did not answer question ...She going to make monsters" sigh.........no worse than your English challenged rant.

@others: To say "Lady Gaga has no talent", and that some of you "hate her". Wow....look in the mirror, I doubt you have 1/100th of her talent in music. If you do, good on you. I don't listen to her often, but that has to do with preference, not that I think she isn't talented. When I have listened/watched her, I know for a fact that she is truly gifted. One thing for sure, she didnt change from stardom, Lady Gaga was like this in High School. More power to her, and more power to the up and coming little girl.

March 31, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kim

I JUST HATE HER MUSIC HER STYLE HER MESSAGE I HATE HER!

March 5, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • NOH8

You must have somethign seriously wrong with you to hate someone that you don't even know. You can have dislike over Lady Gaga and her music. To hate someone just proves your intolarance to respect others.
      Peace, Love, and Respect; embrace it.

March 30, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nancy

This is so cool. This 12-year-old girl is very talented. It was neat for Lady GaGa to have her on stage with her. You don't see many other superstars do this type of thing. I didn't like heavy music either. But now at age 61 I really wish I could sing heavy metal. I would love to vent about a lot of things in this world.

March 6, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • barry kopulos

She is only 10 and if you compare her to Justin I think she got more fame and attention than he did and at younger age.She got on two of the biggest shows ever Ellen and GMA and I think more stardom earlier than Justin but like entertainment Talent AGENCY Gilles Paquin(Anna Paquin is his daughter I believe) said from Winnipeg all this stardom is about Gaga more or less and now Maria needs to break out if she can and become her own star! She does have alovely voice and seems to have self-made talent and poise when we see her in media.

March 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • NOH8

Peace, Love, and Respect; embrace it.

March 30, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sbast18

I watched the video and it ROCKS!!! That little girl has a future. And, btw, say what you like about Gaga, I think she's incredibly artistic and that she's an amazing performer. What I don't actually understand is how people will dislike her yet...say nothing about the rappers who inject bad language, violence and warped ideas into our childrens heads and then call it...."art". I don't like everything Lady Gaga says and does but, then, we don't have to. The one thing I don't like about her at all is the fact that she NEVER calls me 🙂 The woman has heart, and that's what matters.

March 6, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. barry kopulos

Maria today just made it into the center page pull-out poster of ON7 magazine march 6,2011 in Winnipeg the photo the world is seeing her and Gaga in their outfits on stage at Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

March 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jason

Where the heck is Winnipeg, Canada? Last I checked Winnipeg is in the province of Manitoba, the country of Canada.

March 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cory

Talent is good. I'm happy for the little girl. She was able to get exposure and I'm sure it will pay off in her future. As for all the negativity surrounding Gaga music, I think the girls parents gave the okay. Personally, I think her lyrics are shallow and she sucks, but hey – that's me. I can't tell anyone how to raise their kids. Society's already screwed up.

March 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |