Wisconsin governor issues union layoff notices
Layoff notices issued by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker could take effect as early as April 1.
March 4th, 2011

Wisconsin governor issues union layoff notices

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has issued union layoff notices that could take effect as early as April 1, a governor spokesman said Friday.

The measure "may be able to be rescinded and layoffs avoided" if 14 Senate Democrats return to the state capitol.

"Without Senate action within 15 days, individual employees may begin to receive potential termination notifications," said spokesman Cullen Werwie.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics • Protest • Wisconsin
  1. leeintulsa

April 1st. So, they have the rest of the month to come back. That's showin' em.

March 4, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • mamaw

Yes, it will show them that the governor of Wisconsin can break the law and get away with it. Want a dictator do you? Move to Lybia.

March 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa H

April Fools!

March 4, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Governor's is an Idiot

Hey Governor, did you tried firing the union security guards on your last jobs ande that county is now forced to hire them back with back pay due them?

March 5, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • They get whats coming to them

Way to go govenor. You have our support. there is no reason they need collective bargaining for benefits. We do not have it in the private sector and if they feel it is unfair, they can choose employment elsewhere ... no one is forcing them to work for the state. the problem is, they are not good enough to work in the private sector where having a brain and a work ethic is required. I hope they enjoy the unemployment line. Thank you for working on behave of the tax payers that have to fund these selfish brats.

March 8, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

Sounds like blackmail to me. What an ass.

March 18, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dan Beach

Low very low

March 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Why is this Low? He is doing exactly what he said he would do. They had their chance to keep their jobs, but oh well...It's called a choice. I'm sure the Union bosses will still have their jobs

March 4, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Very very good! The unions are the low point along with the absent senators who have proven they are not capable of doing their jobs and need to be fired!

March 4, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • RealPerson90

I'm laughing at these goons. My favorite thing being their blind tendancy to use short names with capitalized first letters. "John" If you're going to lie you should use something more nebulous than "it's what he said he was going to do" when that is statement is clearly false. To the site: these people are all imposters and liars who think they can muscle the internet into agreeing with them.

March 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • scottish Mama

He Warned them, what? They giv in to the demands of benefits and they don't want to give up the bargaining right and he lays them off. Get real this is Tyranny at its worst, They should run this guy out of town. He had the money situation sewn up. Hes just a union buster.

March 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DudeFromVA

Sounds like blackmail to me.

March 4, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Valady

Holding hostages-it's what the teabagger rethuglicans do. Remember when they held the unemployed hostage until the president agreed to extend those damn Bush tax cuts.

March 4, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I agree – the 14 senators should be ashamed of their blackmail techniques! Shame on them. They need to be kicked out of office for these deeds.

March 4, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • scottish Mama

If all this does not get everybody out to vote and get these people out of office, America is lost.

March 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • DudeFromVA

Actually, I was meaning the Governor is blackmailing the Dems and the Wisconsin people, not the other way around.

March 4, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Trueindependent

Another republican chooses tax cuts for rich over jobs for middle class go figure. Keep up the fight WI

March 4, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • RealIndependant

Huh ? What tax cuts ? These middle class jobs could be protected by having the state employees (paid for by WI tax payers btw) pay for their health & pension benefits at a reasonable rate. Except 14 cowards fled the state preventing resolution so now people are getting laid off.

March 4, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • scottish Mama

@ realindependent- They already conceded to the Gov. Benefit reductions. This is about bargaining rights. The 14 are in protest of Gov. Walker just trying to bust the union.
      Bill Gates has on his foundation website all of the states budget and says alot is phoney book keeping.

March 4, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bookfinder

These public employees are already paying for 100% of their benefits (pension & healthcare) They took a deferred compensation that goes into their benefits instead of the cash. They are actually earning and paying for their own benefits.

March 4, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • They get whats coming to them

Do you even have a brain. Get real.

March 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. leeintulsa

I don't have a dog in this fight. Like some %85 of Americans. There's whole STATES that could give a rat's patutie about the Unions. I'm trying to point out stupidity.

March 4, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

Then don't read the story if you don't care.

March 4, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Only 12% of American are with Unions, and only 4% are public unions. This is a great thing, Public Unions should not have Barganing rights

March 4, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@Kyle – Of course I care. The Unions did some great things in days of old. They established many traditions everyone takes for granted every day. Just like the military. I am directly affected by the things the Unions established, of this I have no doubt.

I'm a Libertarian. We're not into the whole collective taking care of the individual thing. Invest in your future, sure, there's 401k's, there's the stock market, there's what have you. Life insurance? It's all out there, and one thing the Unions didn't provide me was free health insurance. Free retirement. None of that. I'm likely gonna be a social security living old man, if I get too old to work. I hope my kids help me out.. Maybe my grandkids..?

The Union isn't a national thing. If they go for the national play, they'll lose. Alot of us have to pay for a living.

March 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • shenanigans

leeintulsa, I am a member of a union, and I don't get free healthcare or a free pension. I pay for the healthcare that my union collectively bargains for, and it isn't free, nor is it very good coverage. 10% of my salary is set aside and invested through my state's teacher retirement fund, and if I teach in my state for at least 10 years, then I am eligible to take the interest it has accrued. Nothing is free. Stop believing the lies that union members are taking your tax dollars and vacationing while you work your fingers to the bone. We aren't. Stand up for the working class instead of trying to kick them out of your way. We aren't in your way. I would be happy if my tax dollars were spent to improve the lives of members of the working class instead of bailing out the wealthy. Why have you bought into the rhetoric of the wealthy?

March 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@shenanigans – I know nothing is free, I'm sorry if I implied that you got something free. And I have no idea if what you pay for dues plus what you pay for coverage is anywhere near what I pay. I hear it isn't. And it's all because I live in a Right to Work state. Something like that. That's how little this affects me. And I'm an Electrician. I know there's a BEW here, and the name is enough to make me wanna join. I just know there's no work there. Around here.. I'm not agin you, and your legacy has given all Americans alot of security they wouldn't have now. I just don't see that the fight you are fighting is worth fighting now. Maybe the need for the Unions has gone the way of the Dodo. What do you pay for medical, including your dues as, like, a percentage?

March 4, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • dean IN

Unions are why Americas middle class thrived for 40 years during the best economic times America has known. Those in public workers unions are the last stronghold average Americans have left. Bust them and see what a two tier system looks like or just set your sights on our southern neighbor, Mexico.

March 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sdottish mama

@ Dean-Yes, it will be two tiered- Slave owners and Slaves.

March 5, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Speaking of Fools

Hey leeintulsa – some people just don't seem to get do they? This isn't about union workers vs. non-union workers – this is about WORKERS period. I assume you are a worker, though I could be wrong as you seem also to be in touch with "whole states" of workers who, as you say, don't care about their fellow workers. Just how many people, in how many states are you speaking with, leeintulsa? And, after gathering up all of this data, just how much time do you have left over for doing any actual work (hope you're not doing this on your employers dime)? PS: If Libertarian's "aren't into the whole collective taking care of the individual thing," the "whole collective" isn't going to force you to apply for your individual social security benefit, so maybe you could consider doing us all a favor and not tap into that collective benefit

March 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DAMN YANK

that's an april fool

March 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Conspiracy Theory

Just an April Fool's joke, clearly

March 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Greenspam

And next on the list, Wisconsin governor will instruct all police officers/fire fighters to stop responding to any call for help from union workers until Dems return.

March 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • David Y

In other news, Scott Walker announced today: "I regretfully announce that due to the budget crisis, I must kick puppy once a day until the Democrats return. They've really left me no choice."

March 7, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. deuce

Yeah, okay Walker. Do it and seal your fate buddy. You got 10 months and counting...

March 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Not really – He is doing what the people of WI voted him in to do. It is the Dems that are not doing their job...Hurry run away from democracy

March 4, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joshua from Baton Rouge

Which begs the question: why did you guys vote for him in the first place?

March 4, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

lol.. 'cause he was ANTI-the black guy.. Does everyone see how deep-bread this fear/hatred is? Many don't even want to acknowledge it, and it's so much deeper than skin. I'm a listener, and I listen everyday. People all around me who assume, because I'm white-ish, I share their beliefs.. It's horrific, really..

March 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Don't you understand that he is doing what the voters want! He will be reelected and honored as the hero he is!

March 4, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@Rob – I'm sure he's doing what the voters want. I'm not calling him racist – I'm calling the vast majority of white Americans racist..

March 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bookfinder

I didn't vote for him. But people voted for him because they wanted immediate results, and they listened to the republican spin machine. They have the Koch Brothers come in and spend $3.4 million dollars on tv ads, and the people didn't do their homework. That's why he won.

March 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sdottish mama

Bookfinder, you are correct. In looking for change the republicans are grasping at Tea Party. These people are extremist. He was backed by the Koch Bros and I listened to the tapes, it is socially telling about how Walker is their boy and the middle class is his whipping post.
      @Leein tulsa,-They voted him in to pay debt down and they wanted change, they went the tea party route. Surprise, I don't think they bargained on this.

March 5, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
    • jeff

If this is what the people want then why is every poll showing large percentages against this action. People are wising up to the republicans and starting to understand that they are not on the side of the middle class.

March 5, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. wann2know

IMPEACH the paid for politician.

March 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Liberal word of choice for everything... IMPEACH.

Clowns.

March 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • wann2know

No Bill, you clown. err paid troll!

March 4, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Yes, we do need to impeach these 14 traitors!

March 4, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I assume you're from WIsconsin? This is kinda their deal..

March 4, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moderain

Yeah, impeach all those democrats on the union payroll...great idea

March 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Is he trying to start a civil war or something?

The president should call in the national guard from another state. That governor is corrupt and needs to be removed.

March 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

LOL. Wut? Laying off people because the states budget is insolvent is trying to start a civil war? Oh yeah, forgot. #newtone.

March 4, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

lol.. the president, and the federal government, are no more responsible for the goings on in Wisconsin than they are the goings on in Libya.

March 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moderain

You need a lesson in government...Obummer has no authority to do any such thing to a soveriegn state. Maybe if you knew a little more about the USA you wouldl form different opinions of what was a problem and what needed solving...and what needed to be left to the people WHO LIVE THERE!!

March 4, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • bookfinder

He's not laying off people because of the budget, he's laying them off to blackmail the democratic senators into coming back, and then he'd lay off the workers to spite us and the senators.

March 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sdottish mama

@Bookfinder,why is it when you say something it is clear. Maybe you do some RESEARCH?

March 5, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Federal govt can bring down an insurrectionist...

March 5, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • bookfinder

Scottish Mama I say that because he has shown that he for the corporations and not the middle class. An enlightening conversation with a fake David Koch. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. They had to close the Capitol for cleaning. I was in the capitol today and guess what all the signs are still up, but he said it cost $7.5 million to clean up. Clean up what? Protesters have always gone around and cleaned up after themselves. The only thing they'd have to clean up are signs. He closed the capitol to get the protesters out of there, and a court order was needed to keep the capitol open to the people.

Walker is being sued by the Isthmus and Wisconsin State Journal newspapers to get records of his emails. The ones where he said the majority of the people are for his bill. Funny most emailers I talked to got confirmation that their emails were not open. So how does he know they are in favor of the bill. People didn't get confirmation from republican representatives. Funny how I did when I put "thanks" in the subject line. It was not thanks at all, but I wanted them to read my email.

March 5, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Bookbinder-1st hand eyewitness news.I am there in spirit. They kicked you out into the cold? They should have left the signs up, you all will be back. not like we are going anywhere. The news paper in Missouri says our officials are starting up about public unions too. They were republicans, I see a pattern emerging. I wish people of all parties coud see that it is a middle class worker oppress issue. With the government its a political corporate wealth beat opponents.
      To retreive the e-mails, does Wisconsin have a sunshine law to help? They used it on Gov. Blunt in Missouri to retreive his e-mails. They should have it put under lock and key till something is decided, so someone doesn't go in there to tamper with it. Maybe thats what he meant by clean the capitol. Get an order to get the computers of all of them.

March 6, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
    • bookfinder

Scottish Mama, they are trying to get the information through the"freedom of information act". They still haven't handed them over. 'And I know of a number of people who sent the emails so they would get a confirmation when they opened up the emails. They never got confirmations which means the emails weren't opened up. How do they know if they are positive or not?

March 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LovesAmericans

Great job!!! Keep up the good job to save America from the enemy within. American thank you for doing what's best for the nation. Washington D.C. is next.

March 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Todd Lewis

Walker just declared war on middle-class Americans.

It's time to escalate this. Walker and his masters are not going to destroy America.

March 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Seriously? War? Get a life.

March 4, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moderain

The unions are no more middle class than Vodka is from Mexico...the pawns who pay in are middle class...the owners are all elitists. only 14% of the entire americam workforce is unions and only a small percentage of them are public...if this is war, it's a war on selfish union workers and their power grabbing Union bosses but the middle class is glad to see it happen

March 4, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • bookfinder

This war is on the middle class by corporate republicans. They take away union rights because they usually back democrats. Then they'll go after the rest of the middle class. They are trying to make 2 classes: the rich and the poor.

March 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |