Wisconsin governor issues union layoff notices
Layoff notices issued by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker could take effect as early as April 1.
March 4th, 2011

Wisconsin governor issues union layoff notices

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has issued union layoff notices that could take effect as early as April 1, a governor spokesman said Friday.

The measure "may be able to be rescinded and layoffs avoided" if 14 Senate Democrats return to the state capitol.

"Without Senate action within 15 days, individual employees may begin to receive potential termination notifications," said spokesman Cullen Werwie.

Post by:
Filed under: Politics • Protest • Wisconsin
  1. cbsman

Bob,

Still trying to figure out what unions right to collectively bargain in the future has to do with the budget right now. If this was about the budget, then he can take his money now and leave the bargaining agreement alone. But you can ignore that question if you want to. But keep in mind just because he was elected by the majority does not mean that his wishes reflect the wishes of the voters. If thats the case then Obama is always right (i am sure you will love that one).

March 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Whole Earth

Now he is using Human shields, I hope Gaddafii doesn't read CNN, he will get ideas!

March 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Justin

End public unions! If the teachers want to teach, there are many private schools which are doing well and will hire them (assuming they are good at what they do). I homeschool my children, but I get no tax rebates, neither do I have any bargaining "rights". Why am I taxed to educate YOUR children? End the unions and their strong-arming of the people. I want my freedom and my taxes back!

March 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nursefor35years

It is a brave and patriotic stand that the 14 senate democrats have demonstrated. The average person doesn't realize that without unions we would all be working 7 days a week for slave shop wages. It was the unions that improved the horrid working conditions that existed years ago. The nonunion workers received the benefits fought for by the union workers. Isn't it obvious that the Republicans are in bed with big business. If they have their way everyone will be working for 5 dollars an hour and living in a trailer while big business and Republicans are sipping champagne ,cruising the Caribbean and patting each other on the back.

March 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Eddy Albanesi

Good, this ain't the Industrial age and the mob with the baseball bats. Different times require different strategic approaches, and when the bank account is dry, everyone will suffer. Besides' it's so clear that the Left has its hidden agenda and does not give a ship about the Union Members.

March 4, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. shenanigans

I will never understand how stupid my fellow Americans can be that members of the middle class and people living in poverty will fight amongst themselves like mangy dogs for the scraps of the wealthiest 1%. Money is clearly power in our nation, and you have handed it all over to wealthy by electing politicians who are in the pockets of the rich. Collective bargaining and unions built the middle class. We need more unions, not fewer unions, to rebuild our dwindling middle class. Why would you wish to disempower your working class? If you truly believe that you can only get ahead in the world by kicking others out of your way and taking away any power they may have, you are wrong, you are ignorant, and you are foolish. A nation is judged by how it takes care of the sick, the ignorant, and the poor, and I am embarrassed by our collective inability to do right by our citizens.

March 4, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nursefor35years

Well said!

March 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Kicking what? I never kicked no one. A nation as judged in your eyes. That's where it gets political, see. And, you are kind of throwing out the baby with the bath water. You think, by standing up for what we believe in, we cannot, without the Union, get what we want. I don't think that's accurate.

I've seen prevailing wage – where we are paid like we are union, even though we are not, because the contracts involved were meant for union folk. And that's easy street. I don't believe my boss is living high on the hog because I'm not. I get my fair share. I want to get jobs the Union can't afford.

Surely you can understand that people who don't think like you aren't necessarily wrong, right? We all have different interests. So if you can't maintain a collective bargaining right better than mine, i.e., quitting, you won't teach my kids? You won't do your calling? Lame.

Here's maybe a clue for you – I have an uncle by marriage that retired BEW in California. He owns an RV and travels the country. If he needs medication, or medical benefits, he has to go to California to get them. Something to keep in mind..

March 4, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sdottish mama

Its kind of hard to vote for someone when you have dumb and dumber to start with.

March 5, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. jfdrake1559

I believe that Gov. Walker's layoff threats violate freedom of association through intimidation and have described legal arguments for an injunction on my blog at http://roominhouseblues.blogspot.com/2011/03/layoff-layoff-threats-governor-walker.html

March 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Frank

Typically right-wing of this governor to be a union buster. If we keep on electing these right-wing goons to public office,the average worker will no longer have any rights. It'll be just like the situation back in 1900 with long hours and low pay plus bad working conditions!

March 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sdottish mama

Or the United States of China.

March 5, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Ringo

Well said,Frank. Both the Republicans and the "blue-dog" Democrats are now at war with the Middle Class. Before they're through,we'll have us an "hour glass" society!!!

March 5, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. KIC

Isn't that called blackmail? Nice.

March 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim

What I don't understand is they say the teachers and the union is causing the money problems in Wisconsin Then why are all the southern states that have no union teachers and are right to work states have the same money problems. Congress votes in their own raises and have a sweetheart pension and insurance after they retire. Look it up. This is nothing other then to point the finger at someone besides congress. And who's brother-in-law did they pay to clean the capitol for over a million dollars. I would do it for 1/2 that.

March 4, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • You liberals always pit Rich vs Unions

The southern states that have money problems is due to the same reasons many others have: high taxes drive businesses out of them. So, the circle comes around to Wisconsin and others, high taxes are due to out of control government spending. This includes teacher salaries, benefits, pensions, etc. Which makes it subject to scrutiny as any other government programs. I believe more schools should be privatized, it could cater to more needs of kids, instead of having government schools think they know what is best. They like to put all kids in a bubble and teach based on a formula. That's why they have to spend even more money on special education, a money grabbing venue for teachers. Realize that kids can be taught better if the private sector lets us know what skills students need, then set up more schools to teach.

March 5, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. jgs

Fire them all for missing work! We don't need a dam union. Get your ass back to work!!

March 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • bookfinder

I hope they stay away until this bill is gone.

March 6, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bob

I can't believe how people can be so selfish and short sighted at the expense of the whole population. It's exactly like cancer in the body. It has to feed on the body to survive, while killing the body. Although cancer lives and thrives for a little while it has to be eliminated or it will kill the entire body. I wish all of the union supporters actually took just one second to think about where the money all comes from. Public employees are paid for taxes collected from tax payers. Tax payers are those companies, and individuals working for companies, that produce a product! Why would you over tax companies or company owners when they are the body of the nation that allows us to even sustain a government and public employees. It is not a right to be able to allow your job or union to survive at the expense of the whole state or nation.

March 4, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • shenanigans

Bob, you have bought into the ridiculous rhetoric that is being used to pit the middle class against itself. I am a teacher, and I belong to a union. My healthcare is not free. I pay for it. My union collectively bargains for better rates with the insurance companies, but it is not free. I do not get free retirement or a free pension. 10% of my salary is set aside and invested through my state's teacher retirement fund. I am only eligible to earn interest on that money if I teach in my state for more than 10 years. I do not complain when others set aside, invest, and make interest on their money. This idea that union members are getting anything for free is ridiculous, but people who struggling to get by will believe what they want in order to think that somehow someone is getting something they are not getting, and life isn't fair. Stand up for the working class instead of trying to knock us down. We're not the enemy here, but you have been duped into thinking that we are by the actual people who are trying to take everything from you.

March 4, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jim

Also remember there is nothing congress would like better if we all turn against each other. They will get what they want every time.

March 4, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tom will

It is so stupid that the Democrats cater to the Unions who turn around and elect them and also control their wages and pensions. The unions are criminals and thugs as they have always been.

March 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • bookfinder

Just rhetoric. Nothing to back up what you're saying. When you don't have anything substantive to say, you guys resort to "thugs" and "criminals" Like the thugs at the Capitol who were supposedly keeping republicans from going to the bathroom?? The thugs that were waiting in line like everyone else, not blocking the bathrooms. Get a different argument, this one doesn't have a leg to stand on.

March 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

But they gave us bathroom breaks, 8 hour days, living wages, rights to be be able to do a job. Why let the money of the wealthy Koch Bros. take that away? They are part of our established America that has shown us that the employers will strive to get more and more product at the expense of the worker. There has to be workers rights or there will be none. Progression and freedom to choose, not regresssion and oppression. Life Liberty and persuit of happiness.

March 5, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tomtom Chantchant

Looks like Wisconsin will be left in the dust. Other states such as Ohio are taking control of their short- and long-term budgets. Bills reining in public unions are being introduced in about twenty other states. There will be no such thing as standing still to keep things going. State and local governments have to continuously improve in terms of cost cutting just to keep rendering the services we all agree they should provide. Don't like that? Sue the universe for not being born 20, 30, or 40 years earlier, and being dead by now.

March 4, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |