Gotta Watch: Vintage Sheen; women mechanics; Witherspoon on Avon
Charlie Sheen talks to Larry King in 1988 about "Platoon."
March 8th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Vintage Sheen; women mechanics; Witherspoon on Avon

Sheen before the chaos– With all the buzz around Charlie Sheen’s recent media-documented meltdown, we thought we’d bring out some vintage Sheen to illustrate how his popularity rose in the first place. In this 1988 interview with Larry King, Sheen talks about his breakout role in the hit war movie “Platoon.”

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2011/03/07/vault.charlie.sheen.lkl.1988.cnn"%5D

Women fueling mechanic workforce – "I want to do those things that women are running away from," says the head of an organization training Nigerian women to become auto mechanics. CNN's Christian Purefoy looks at how her mission is shaping so many lives.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/03/08/purefoy.nigeria.woman.mechanic.cnn"%5D

Avon's global mission – Avon is much more than just a cosmetics company. CNN's Hala Gorani talks to Avon CEO Andrea Jung and actress Reese Witherspoon about how the company is empowering women around the globe.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/business/2011/03/08/intv.avon.global.initiative.cnn"%5D
  1. JohnBoy

Please!. Stop covering Charlie Sheen and his drug-induced rantings. His problems do not affect the economy, world peace or my personal life. It is not pleasant to watch someone self destruct. There are at least 4,000,000 other topics which are more important.

March 8, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • SheensFanClub

JohnBoy, u mad? U mad cause he's stylin' on you?

March 8, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim Nickerson

I think you're wrong...it is entertaining...about as entertaining as watching news about the economy and the lack of world peace. It definitely is more entertaining than your personal life. True..there are 4 million more IMPORTANT topics...but not as many more ENTERTAINING topics.

And in regards to whether it is pleasant to watch a self destructing imbecile go at it....well, yes it is pleasant in a twisted sort of way...because deep down...both you and I, and everyone else – feel a little more pleasant about ourselves because we realize that our own views of ourselves isn't as bad as we thought it was in comparison.

So sit back, drink your beer, take your pill and if you should still find yourself all concerned about what is or is not being covered...unplug your internet, tv, and radio and go to sleep!

March 8, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Brad

I agree. Also I want to add that this is one of those times that we should practice responsible journalism. There does come a point where you should back off and give this man some privacy, you shouldn't have to be asked to. Irresponsible journalism is one of the great evils of this world, and it's going to have to stop at some point.

March 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

Sheen no has time to join the End of the Earth Caravan.

March 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

More Charlie Please! I can't get enough of this! I have so much stress and worry in my life right now and being able to follow Charlie and his winning is saving my life!

March 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mcaswell82

Umm why are you commenting on news coverage of Charlie Sheen. If you don't like it being covered don't read/watch any of the news coverage. I will say it is unfortunate that Sheen has melted down so drastically. I'm 28 and just saw the movie Platoon for the first time about 2 weeks ago. He was incredible in that movie a very talented actor to be sure. He also did a great job in Wall Street opposite Michael Douglas. Let us not forget his comedic movies Hot Shot 1&2 are still funny to this day. I hope he gets back to work and gets the help he needs be it for substance abuse or a mental breakdown or both!

March 8, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. COL. BAT GUANO

if you dont care, dont read it Johnboy.

March 8, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

@Col.Bat Guano, you must be heart broken loosing your favorite show. Anyway, I'm happy he is gone. He had it all, but he decided to throw it all away. Therefore, NO PITY from me.

March 8, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. leeintulsa

Wanna play conspiracy theory? I wonder who's paying sheen to act like this? What is he distracting us from? And... GO!

March 8, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • WndrWmn

Oh...YOU are spot on, baby!

March 8, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fish

Ooo I hadn't looked at it this way... If I had Sheen's acting capabilities and wanted out of a crappy sit com? What better way to do it and get media attention at the same time! And is it just me or does he look like Tom Cruise when he was younger?

March 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. formerfan

@col bat- johnboy probably didn't read the article. You can't escape it. I'm sick of it too.

March 8, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Ward86

@formerfan- Yeah, but both you and JohnBoy took the time to click on the link and comment on the subject, so you can't be too sick of him. Unless you are just trolling, in which case, please don't waste your time responding.

March 8, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. InEarnest

Charlie Sheen is a metaphor. In a way he's doing what a lot of people wish they could do. But it's more about the sad state of affairs the world find itself. I am not sure that it's the rest of us who are insane and Charlie's the only one who is sane.

March 8, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Heath

Charlie is the sane one. Most people will soon notice this. You are clearly sane for knowing that Sheen is sane if you know what I mean.

March 8, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. specialk1

I agree with previous comments! I only went to this article so I could express my concern that cnn is putting such garbage on the news. Who cares about an enraged drunk who can't get his life together? Sorry Charlie, but you are not newsworthy!!! I wish the media would drop him.

March 8, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

@SpecialK1, I agree w/yr comments. Hahahaha, they already drop him, that is why he is on CNN.

March 8, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • dumb_junkies@diejunkies.com

like any other worthless drunk/drug addict he needs to die and leave us alone, stupid people honestly.

March 8, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Ward86

@specialk1- Don't you realize that CNN doesn't read your comments and take them to the next board meeting, they only count the number of hits on the article. Your only adding to the hype that you so despise.

March 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. andrei

yeah – seriously – leave the guy alone. We all may have life crisis at some point.

March 8, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • bruguy

It has nothing to do with"leaving him alone" you could not have been more wrong. He is doing this to himself and he is the one drawing the attention to himself.

March 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael

this is news, there's a lesson here...

March 8, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Vrrooomm Vroom

Hey Charlie – and I know you are reading this. Trust me – get with some good people. Walk away form all of this noise. Get far away. Unplug. Go find peace dude. There is more to life and you need to get away – far away to see it again. It will take some time to get your bearings. To get back in sync with life. But it gets better. It does.

March 8, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

HE NEEDS MORE DRUGS TO GET AWAY..

March 8, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. doug

if this is winning, we need a new definition, going to miss him when he is gone

March 8, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. voice

March 8, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Martin

More CNN "hard news" about Charlie Sheen.

March 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rick Valencia

Charlie Sheen is in the end stages of addiction. It is much harder to hit rock bottom when you have millions as everyone in this culture worships money and bows to those with it. Donald Trump anyone? If you just look at Sheen's face you can see that he looks emaciated. This is not because he is necessarily too thin. It is because he is getting most of his calories from alcohol and his body thinks it is starving as it is not getting all the vitamins and minerals one needs from real food. His body is literally consuming itself and he probably does not sleep as a result of his cocaine addiction. We are watching the Charlie Sheen train going off the rails. He is going down the Anna Nicole, Heath Ledger road and will end up the same unless he finds a way to admit his illness and get a hold of recovery. Unfortunately few are able to do it. He is obviously very unhappy and his mental health is shot. He may even have brain damage at this point. So let's pray for a miracle for Charlie as that is what it is going to take to get him well. I have been sober 30 years. I worked in the movie biz for 32 years before retiring so it is possible. There are lots of people in the biz who are sober. I wore a ring with the sobriety triangle so we could find each other at work. It worked!

March 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Randy

It's crazy!! This guy they call Charlie Sheen! The fact that he can just throw away his life and millions and millions of dollars is beyond me. I Like liked the show. I did not watch it for one particular character. He needs to be put in front of his REAL friends and family to show him how much they love him, and want him to get well. Kinda like the character Christopher Moltisanti on The Sopranos!!

March 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mary

Not saying it wont help, but even his Family and true friends cant make him go get help, it's got to be him that finally gets it, "i do need and want help"

March 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |