Dalai Lama to retire as political head of exiled movement
The Dalai Lama attends a ceremony Thursday in India, marking the anniversary of the Tibetan uprising against Chinese rule.
March 9th, 2011

Dalai Lama to retire as political head of exiled movement

The Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, announced Thursday his plan to retire as political head of the exiled movement, according to his website.

"Tibetans need a leader, elected freely by the Tibetan people," he said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Tibet
  1. jared

thank you mark nelson, intuitiive does not even explain this ultra minded individual

March 10, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ken

Now he indicates that he is not elected? Why he always claims he represents the people? A big lier!

March 10, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. Perdie

Quote from Website: "One of the aspirations I have cherished since childhood is the reform of Tibet’s political and social structure, and in the few years when I held effective power in Tibet, I managed to make some fundamental changes. Although I was unable to take this further in Tibet, I have made every effort to do so since we came into exile. Today, within the framework of the Charter for Tibetans in Exile, the Kalon Tripa, the political leadership, and the people’s representatives are directly elected by the people. We have been able to implement democracy in exile that is in keeping with the standards of an open society.

As early as the 1960s, I have repeatedly stressed that Tibetans need a leader, elected freely by the Tibetan people, to whom I can devolve power. Now, we have clearly reached the time to put this into effect. During the forthcoming eleventh session of the fourteenth Tibetan Parliament in Exile, which begins on 14th March, I will formally propose that the necessary amendments be made to the Charter for Tibetans in Exile, reflecting my decision to devolve my formal authority to the elected leader."

March 10, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. jared

it is nice to meet a neutral minded individual

March 10, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. jared

come on a big liar he does not claim anything, he only claims the betteermenent of the human society. who agrees?

March 10, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. jared

look all im saying is so me your thoughts i grow from them?

March 10, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. jared

as you vou can tell im one of the few open minded southerns up at this time!!! suede me!!!

March 10, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ken

Millions and millions of Chinese belong to Buddhism both in China and oversea, but only a very handful recognizes Dalai Lama as their religious leader. A vast majority recognizes that he treated Tibet buddhism followers as slaves, taking most of their belongings to be his.

March 10, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Dear Ken, Buddhism has many branches just like Christianiy or Islam. Theravada (Hinayana) Buddhism in Southeast Asia, and Mahayana Buddhism in East Asia. However, Tibetan Buddism is different from those two branches. Therefore, not many Buddhists in the world would follow him. I'm a Theravada Buddhist and I do not follow his teaching. Just like Catholics do not get along with Proestants.

March 10, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. Carl

Reading his actual statement I think he thinks there should be a separate political leader of the Tibetan people. I don't think he is retiring from being the head of Tibetan Buddhism though.

March 10, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. jared

ken i hope u post more< like i said i love knowledge especially knowledge that counts!! please keep feeding the stream.

March 10, 2011 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • EuphoricCrest

Jared, the knowledge you seek will surely be found along the path.

March 10, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. jared

even as much as i have followed the pope and the dhali, as much as i can i love bloggin, cause it brings out the best in all minds, and as soon as we stop thinking we will be stagnant as a society!!!

March 10, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. jared

look i am an avid catholic but that does not mean my mind has stopped intelletcually!!

March 10, 2011 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. jared

?

March 10, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. jared

tell me "five for figthring" haas not clouded ur mind

March 10, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. raven

Whatever he does Im sure the world will be a better place for it . I wish him peace and goodwill .

March 10, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |