Montreal cops investigating hockey hit
Montreal's Max Pacioretty lies on the ice after a hit from Boston's Zdeno Chara Tuesday night.
March 10th, 2011

Montreal cops investigating hockey hit

Police in Montreal said Thursday they will investigate a hit in Tuesday night's National Hockey League game as a possible crime, Canadian media report.

The hit by Boston Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara on the Montreal Canadiens' Max Pacioretty left Pacioretty with a severe concussion and a fractured vertebra, according to a CTV report.

Chara was given two penalties on the play and ejected from the game. On Wednesday, the NHL said the penalties assessed on the ice were appropriate and it would take no further action.

But Quebec's top prosecutor, Louis Dionne, asked for the police investigation after watching video of the play, the CBC reported.

In the play, Pacioretty skates with the puck in front of the bench area of Montreal's Bell Centre as Chara comes alongside and tries to push Pacioretty into the boards along the benches. Pacioretty's head slams violently into a glass stanchion separating the two benches. Pacioretty was face-down on the ice for several minutes.

NHL Senior Vice President Mike Murphy called the hit "a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface," CTV reported.

Chara said Wednesday he did not try to harm Pacioretty.

“Obviously I feel bad about what happened. I was trying to make a strong hockey play and play hard. It was just very, very unfortunate that the player got hurt and had to leave the game,” the Boston Herald quoted him as saying.

"It was just one of those things. These things, like glass extensions, doors, even hockey nets, are part of the game. Obviously, players run into them. It’s just very, very unfortunate that a player got hurt,” he said.

The NHL's decision not to further discipline Chara didn't sit well with Canadiens fans. Their calls flooded a police emergency call center in Montreal after the league's announcement Wednesday asking police to take action, the CBC reported.

Pacioretty was also upset with the league.

"I am upset and disgusted that the league didn't think enough of [the hit] to suspend him," he told Bob McKenzie of TSN.com. "I'm not mad for myself, I'm mad because if other players see a hit like that and think it's OK, they won't be suspended, then other players will get hurt like I got hurt."

Post by:
Filed under: Boston • Canada • Hockey • Montreal • NHL • Sports
  1. nfvn3

PK is scoping out b!tches

March 10, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. USA USA

I wish the US military would just drop the "big one" on Canada and enslave the rest of the population!! What a pathetic existence and blight on the world Canada is!!

March 10, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yall

Thats how you brainwashed rednecks think, its humorous to the rest of the world. Oh, its not our concern, we will just go bomb someone, we are too dumb to talk about a solution, so start up the fighter jets. Go back to playstation army game with your entourage of losers.

March 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ugh

I blame all of this current whining on the Todd Bertuzzi/Steve Moore incident and the hoopla that ensued afterwards. When a big deal is made of something, then EVERYONE AND THEIR FREAKING GRANDMOTHER decides that the player on "their team" is as wronged as Steve Moore was.

"ZOMG CALL THE POLICE! HE TRIED TO KEEL HIM!"

March 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scot B

I saw the replay and it was clear to me that Chara took advantage of an opportunity to put the hurt on a guy. The player could've been killed. I think it is clear that the NHL should modify the structure of glass and stanchions around the benches because of risks like this. And I think it is clear that Chara should be suspended. The league doesn't need to "prove" guilt on Chara–Chara made an intentional play that severely injured another player. Suspend him because his actions and conduct were a detriment to the team, league, and game. That way, even if somebody were to believe that Chara "didn't mean to", then he (and other players) would think a little harder before endangering themselves or others because they got their ego bent. And finally, prosecute him for assault like they prosecuted Marty McSorely to taking out Don Brashear in 2000.

March 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicky

Yes, exactly! You said it perfectly. Finally a comment worth reading:)

March 10, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Jamming 911 with frivolous calls!!!! They should be embarrassed! Don't the cops have better things to do?

March 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Derek

So let me get this straight.... Trevor Gillies of the NY Islanders gets a 10-Game suspension for boarding, because it "looked like he was going for the head", yet this guy hits someone and breaks his neck and he gets nothing??? Not even a single game suspension????

March 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

"But Quebec's top prosecutor, Louis Dionne, asked for the police investigation after watching video of the play, the CBC reported". He's asking them to investigate. Doesn't mean they are. Calm down people.

March 10, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pat

It was a "clean hit", with an unfortunate conclusion,...Now go back to your curling, and Tim Horton's commercials,..I'm trying to watch a "real game", basketball,...March madness comin up !!

March 10, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anne

I have to say it: Basketball SUCKS – if you want to watch a real sport, watch rugby!

March 10, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Observer

There's a history between the two. Chara is a jerk, targets Pacioretty in every game they play against each other, and purposely pushed Pacioretty's head into the stanchion with his hand. Watch the tape more closely.

Prosecute Chara to the fullest; he is violent and a menace to other payers. Especially if the player's name is Pacioretty.

March 10, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Staangette

It doesn't matter what team he plays for, Canadian or US or WHEREVER...fact is..he may not have intentionally meant to hurt him, but he did. Take the responsibility for it and be done. He could've said...'I didn't mean for him to get hurt, but he did, and for that I'm sorry, and whatever the NHL decides to do I will honour.' BUT...he blames it on Patch saying he jumped into it!

BULLSH!T!!! He's only saying what the Booins want him to say. It's pre-written because he doesn't speak good english and would probably make a mess of things!

Now...precedent has been set in years past, so he will prob be charged. Sucks to be him to hit a player in Quebec eh!

BUT if it happened in Toronto, the backlash would be worse from all the make-me-laugh fans!

Now that Air Canada has threatened the NHL, Bettgoof will do something.

FIGURES IT TAKES A PLAYER ALMOST DYING FOR THEM TO DO ANYHTING!

This could've all been avoided 7 years ago with Bertuzzi...IF THEY HAD DONE SOMETHING THEN, PLAYERS WOULD THINK TWICE I BET YA! FINE THEM LIKE THE NFL. HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS....THE WALLET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad day for ANY hockey fan...not just Habs fans.

AND I AM A PROUD HABS FAN!
    (and yes..if it was someone on my team that was the hitter, I'd say the same thing...disciplinary action needed!)

GO HABS GO!!! 🙂

March 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lisa

Ok make up your mind. You glorify fights until players bleed, fans egg on fights, checks, etc. Now you want to cry foul it doesnt work that way. It comes with territory, sad but true..

March 10, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hannah Ford

This story is ridiculous. This is an issue with the ARENA. As an avid hockey fan, I can tell you that hit was not "dirty" or overly rough, it was a standard hit that happened at an unfortunate place on the ice. If that same hit had occurred anywhere else on the ice Pacioretty would not have been hurt. The real issue should be why the stanchion wasn't padded.

If you want to talk about a rough hit look at Cooke's hit on Savard, which has ultimately resulted in Savard being out indefinitely. THAT was a dirty hit and he got a slap on the wrist.

Do your homework HLN. You all said yourselves on air you know nothing about hockey. It shows.

March 10, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gord

– I hope Pacioretty makes a full recovery
    – Maybe some good will come out of this,like the re-design of the nets after Mark Howe's injury
    – I made a hit like this while playing hockey in High School. I had no idea that the stanchion was there, and I felt terrible about it. With the speed of the game, I really don't see how Chara could have planned to hit him at exactly the right spot. If it were Marty McSorely, that would be different...

March 10, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JOEM

Are these the rough, tough, mounted police Canadians crying..Ooooh...You're hurting me...Wait until we get these babies in Boston...Go eat some yellow snow...

March 10, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. southerner

I don't play hockey, never have. As a outsider I see hockey as a just a game, but it involves elements of aggression and finesse to win. Ok as in every sport there are "danger areas", areas that can be used to win the upper hand. The glass stanchion is a area that can be used to get the upper hand. It was a option for Chara to gain the upper hand, and the "danger area" was exploited in the heat of the play. Was it sportsman like? NO it was not, the glass stanchion was used as a tool by a aggressive player. Much the way I might look for a broken beer bottle in a brawl in a back alley.

March 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |