Ohio man is first executed with lone dose of pentobarbital
Johnnie Baston was convicted of the murder of a Toledo store owner.
March 10th, 2011

Ohio man is first executed with lone dose of pentobarbital

Johnnie Baston on Thursday became the first person in the United States executed with the single-dose drug pentobarbital.

Pentobarbital, a barbiturate that has been used in animal euthanasia and as a mild anesthetic in humans, was used in a U.S. execution for the first time in December, when it was administered as the first drug in a three-drug cocktail used in a lethal injection given to an Oklahoma inmate.

Sodium thiopental is the normal drug used in such lethal injections, but a nationwide shortage of the chemical has forced some states to scramble for possible substitutes.

In 2009, Ohio became the first state to perform an execution with a single drug, using a single dose of sodium thiopental.

Baston was pronounced dead at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at the Southern Ohio Correctional Institution in Lucasville, the state Department of Corrections said.

He received the death sentenced for the 1994 murder of Toledo store owner Chong Hoon Mah, a South Korean immigrant who was shot in the head at close range.

“For a long time I didn’t see a lot of value in myself,’’ Baston said Thursday in the death chamber, the Toledo Blade reported. “It wasn’t until this moment, till I had to go through this ordeal, that I have seen so much love from so many people, letters from people all over the world, and even Ohio.’’

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Death Penalty • Ohio
  1. Shamrock6

They need to legalize euthanasia for those who have terminal diseases like ALS,Alzheimers and MS plus those who were left in a vegetative state from a stroke and use that drug for that purpose. The current laws they have against assisted suicide are totally unfair to those who suffer. The way the actor Burt Lancaster spent the last 4 years of his life should be a wake up call to all of us.

March 10, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kriss greenn

@Shamrock6: Very good point. I totally agree with you. If a person honestly has a incurable illness or is in great pain in their last dying days or is already gone (veggie state) they should allow them (or family member with some brains) to make the choice to be put down. But really the article is about OH using one dose of this chemical to kill this inmate. I say GREAT lets move on to the next inmate and get these death sentences moving. Tired of paying for these guys that are doing nothing to better our world.

March 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie

I'm sorry why was that a stupid comment? Apparently you have never had a loved one who is suffering pain that you could never in your life imagine and will not recover from, only suffer until their death. Perhaps we can start with you??

March 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • DaveyS

To Ladybug2000; I disagree with your assumption that the comment was stupid.
      I have watched several of my own family members suffer through the catastrophic consequences associated with an untimely medical event, and it is not easy to see!
      I was asked by one of my closest relatives, to "accidentally" pull out the plug, because she was suffering so much, that she didn't want to go through it any longer!
      Careful consideration must be given to each case, I don't say that we should just start killing people to make room in the house for a "man cave". But humane euthanasia, as devisive a subject and act as it can be, is sometimes the best and only option, to truly be, humane.

March 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mari

I totally agree with you Shamrock6. If we have no choice about being brought into this world, why would anyone besides us be able to deside how we leave it? If I'm ever in a situatin like that, I for one would NOT want to kept alive but much rather be allowed to rest in peace...literally.

March 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • MeToo

I agree... I have watched 2 people , that I Loved Dearly, be consumed by Cancer and had to lie, hooked to tubes for weeks , till their bodies finally gave out.. How Horrible to let these people suffer this way. You can not stop Death but You Can Stop Suffering !!!

March 10, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kotori Mohri

Ladybug2000: Shamrock would absolutely be in favor of putting down a family member who became a vegetable, and he would see that as justified and moral, and he would find attempts to stop that unjustified and immoral

March 10, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • On The Fence

It's a very good idea on its face and while I agreed for a long time, I have reservations concerning whether someone suffering from an incurable disease would always have the requisite mind set to competently make that decision. And I'm not too sure if that's a decision that should be fairly left to family members....I understand the reasons why and don't disagree with them...but it's just too much for me to give a nod to making it legally acceptable.

March 10, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fingerblast

I agree completely. Having a close member die from Alzheimer's and dealing with it for the last 10 years has been very difficult on every one of my family, I can say that it is better to stop the suffering than to have to bear witness to this tormented disease.

March 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam the Sham

Our civilized society has an interesting dichotomy. We euthanize those who deserve to suffer the most, and we force those we love to endure starvation, dehydration, and breakthrough pain until their bodies finally give up. I think we've got it backward.

March 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan the man

You are quite wrong...yes it is horrible to watch people die because of illness but remember that God created man and woman and it is up to Him to call that person from this life in His time and that anything else amounts to murder!!

March 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dot

Shamrock....MS is not a terminal illness

March 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raven

Oregon is a right to die state..If you have a disease that is terminal and all hope or treatment has been used, you may choose to end your life with a doctors help.

March 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • LadyinCO

I don't agree with you Shamrock6. In my belief system, we as people don't have a right to choose when we can leave this world. That's up to our own individual fate, no matter how horrific the illness/suffering is.

March 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Propaganda machine

STOP using religious moral arguments to justify bans on assisted suicide. I don't believe in your sky fairies, so why use YOUR religion and YOUR morals to legally prevent me from ending my life should I choose? You religious people are CONTROL FREAKS. It isn't good enough that you believe in whatever you want, but you try to force your beliefs on others through legislation. YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE MORALITY!

March 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • teresa, ohio

I totally agree with you Shamrock. When the inevitable is sure to come and we already know most illnesses will not have a cure in our lifetime, it would be a kindness to have a form/ some type of DNR that stipulates we be euthanized.

Johnnie: I'm sorry you had to go thru that ordeal to find out that you were valued and worthy of being loved.
      I wonder if Mr. Mah's family is at peace with Johnnie's ...termination.

March 10, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • pauline

I am a survivor of what was thought to be an incureable cancer. I have suffered greatly. The beauty and depth of life is such that one minute of life is worth enduring great suffering. You have _no idea_ unless you've been there. In that one minute, there is time to hear a someone tell you that they love you, or for you to tell someone "I love you". In that minute, there is time to see how beautiful the evening sky is adorned in cobalt blue and stars. You who believe that people who suffer should not be suffered to live (read that carefully) hold life cheap. Euthanasia, in any form, at any time, is murder. Period.

March 10, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

It looks like the comments have shifted from the article's subject of an execution of a criminal to assisted suicide. Several people have commented that assisted suicide should be allowed to end the suffering of loved ones in great pain as they live their last days. At first glance this is an admirable position in wanting to end their suffering.
      But we must be very careful in that this can be a very slippery slope that may go from the patient wanting to end their suffering to the care givers wanting to end their responsibilities of caring for them. Setting aside any religious considerations, this is a very scary scenario that we must avoid.

March 10, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • ExtraJesusWithThatPlease

@PropagandaMachine – While I disagree with your opinion that God is a "sky fairy," I do agree that each individual should have the right to make their own decision about their own life and fate. I may take guff for what could be perceived as an "un Christian" stance on the right to choose to end our own individual suffering, but the way I see it, if free will is good enough for God, it's good enough for me. Controlling others interferes with their free wil. If I feel it is pre-empting God by ending my own suffering "prematurely," then I guess I should tough it out to the end. You shouldn't have to because I feel that way, that's skewed. My life, my conscience. You or anyone else shouldn't be obligated to live by what you don't believe. As adults we should have the right to make that decision according to our needs and beliefs. I wouldn't want to have to live by yours or anyone else's beliefs, no one should be forced by law/legislation to live by mine.

March 10, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claude Isbell

Kriss Greenn-That would be fine, if the system worked. In theory, if for no other reason, than to make sure society and my loved ones are safe, I believe in Capital Punishment. BUT, if ONE wrong person dies, it's not worth it, and it's not working. Do we really need to go into how many innocent people have been executed? That's why I'm against it. Not because it's wrong to kill, but because innocent people get executed...and even one is too many.

March 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Pauline, you are missing the point, that is fantastic you survived what was thought to be an incurable cancer. The point is not whether you should try to cure or not cure an incurable cancer, the point, is if someone decides they don't want to fight it and would rather be euthanized, that is there, right to do so. It's not your life, it's their life, so who are you to tell them how they should live their life. It's fantastic you made it, however, again it is your life to choose to do what you want, it would be wrong to have euthanized you by force, just as it's wrong to force someone to endure suffering they don't want to.

March 11, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Just My Opinion

And do you also think that insurance companies should pay out there policies, if they choose to end thier life?

March 11, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Fallout

I believe in capital punishment AND euthanasia. Some people are monsters and need to be destroyed. As for people not being allowed to end their own lives if they are suffering, that is simply cruel. It is, in fact, the worst form of religious persecution there is. "You have to suffer because I don't think killing is ever a good thing." Well, phuck you, bible boys. It's not your choice to make.

March 11, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • NMGrrL

Hey, Shamrock - In general, people with MS have the same life expectancy as people who do not have MS. The exceptions (and there are some) are people who have primary progressive MS, or people whose MS lesions develop in parts of the brain that compromise their life functions (like the brain stem). I have MS and have spent YEARS learning about the disease and its permutations and possibilities and probabilities. Dying of complications of MS is a HORRIBLE way to go, but less than 10% of people with MS die of MS or its complications. I fervently hope to be in that 10%, thank you very much...

March 11, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Oregonian

Euthanasia is the wrong word. The right to die by assisted SUICIDE is permissable in Oregon. The keyword is suicide, which implies you are killing yourself. Euthanasia implies someone else is making the decision and that is wrong. If I am terminally ill and I cannot stand living one more minute I know that I can end my life with the assitance of a Doctor and no one will end up in jail, that is comforting. Please don't confuse the two situations, that is what gets people so angry about this issue. The number of people who died by assisted suicide in the first 5 years after the law went into effect was 127. Too many people see "death panels" when they think of Oregon's "death with dignity" statute. I voted "yes" on this because I want the option available to me if I need it, not because I want any other person to die.

March 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • sk3ptic

Dan makes an interesting point. But then, how do we know when to get involved at all? "Only God can pull the plug?" Maybe that is too late, perhaps only God should put in the plug at all.

March 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sk3ptic

Compare the subject of the article - killing someone bad, with the subject of euthanasia. The same part of society who says, in effect, "Do not limit the amount of time God gets to make a decision" in regards to terminal illness, also says "If attacked on the street by a 'terrorist', limit Gods time to zero - shoot first and ask questions later". In the first case the real suffering is that 'of someone else'; in the second case, the suffering, or its potential, is much closer to home.

March 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhonda

Where is god when we kill murders........why is that ok......but religious control freaks say it's wrong to want to end your life or that of a loved one do to illness........and please religious people......why would our loved ones have to suffer so dearly instead of going peacefully..............I'm with you Shamrock

March 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Shamrock6- I totally agree with you. I've witnessed a euthanasia before. My friends extremely ill grandmother, in so much pain that she had to be kept sedated most of the time, and when she was awake didn't have any control over her bodily functions. It was miserable to watch, I can't imagine how terrible it was to live through. Watching her finally get to take control of her body and death was a relief to all of us. It's how I'd want to go out, instead of suffering pointlessly for months and years. We were all there around her, holding her hands and touching her when she stopped breathing... there was some crying, but everyone there felt great comfort and peace knowing that she had died by her own wishes and was no longer suffering.

March 11, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • fishfry001

Shamrock6, Kriss greenn, DaveyS, Mari, MeToo – I absolutely agree with you all. We need to change this society. It's really sick at the moment. Holding human life in such an exalted position that you cannot make rational and humane decisions about when and how one's life comes to an end is crazy ridiculous. People will inject themselves (through the courts!!) into the lives of complete strangers because they don't like the fact that the family was going to remove a terminally ill or vegetative family member's feeding tube. How insane is that?! Like the family isn't already going through enough and just who the he// are these people anyway to inject themselves into a private family issue? More of the sense killing monster that is Political Correctness.

March 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Thomas Ponte

It's hard to feel sorry for someone who had a choice to make and made the wrong decision. Taking someone's life by shooting them in the head doesn't give anyone reason to feel any kind of remorse for putting this man to death. In the end he only had himself to answer too. Let's not forget there is Chong Hoon Mah family still grieving for the loss of there loved one. The only thing you should feel for Johnnie Baston is shame...

March 10, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

Thomas,Shamrock wasn't talking about this criminal case here but about euthanasia for the terminally ill above. He was talking about the right to die with dignity and painlessly. With that,I fully agree because I myself would never want to be kept alive in a vegetative state like Burt Lancaster was.

March 10, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • RiversideRick

With one dose of this drug - America is cleaner than it was yesterday.

March 10, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusanfromOhio

March 10, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • SusanfromOhio

The Chong Hoon Mah family I am sure is still grieving and now their grief will be compounded by the denial of THEIR REQUEST that the execution not take place. Closure for them??? How can it be! What a shame the governor of Ohio couldn't grant their wishes. That would have taken courage and compassion on his part.

March 10, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • teresa, ohio

THOMAS:

March 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Euthansia is wrong. Some of you advocating this are really murderers, others have poorly formed conscience, aren't even charitable for they loathe the weak and anyone who have the audacity to depend on them, the wicked rest have long ago destroyed their moral compasses, hypocrites for they are fearful of dying, and stink of hemlock...bold funky cowards!

March 10, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

@ Mmmmm: OK, crazy pants, time for you to take the little pills in the little cup and go back to your pretty padded room.

March 11, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Frankly Speakin..

I conform with you regarding lack of remorse for a murderer. I dont understand why people sent him letters of love instead of sending them to the victim. A death penaltyis often a better deterrent than life imprisonment with chance of getting out again. We are too lenient when it comes to punishing deserving people which has a direct influence on our crime rate.

March 11, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • fishfry001

Thanks, NyteShayde. Someone must have left a door unlocked somewhere...

March 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kevin Poso

Wonder if he likes Hell. About time we off the POS. Burn in Hell and don't rest in peace. Loser,

March 10, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • TNDF

Thoughtful and forgiving Christians like you that make the religion look like such a sham. Thanks a lot for reinforcing that sentiment.

March 10, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • crabman

at a boy i love cheerleaders

March 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

What makes you think he is Christian? He never said he was.

March 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • steak

Christians post Burn in Hell comments ~80% more often than non-Christians

March 10, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

His sentence is served, he has paid for his crime. Wishing for his soul to burn does nothing to him but it poisons you. Let it go.

March 11, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Fallout

Hey, I'm an atheist and if I'm wrong I want him to burn in hell too. Chew on that!

March 11, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Frankly Speakin..

Hold your guns guys, he got what he deserved. I think he has paid his due by losing his life. Leave the rest to god

March 11, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Phil

.22 shells are on sale at Bi Mart right now. 14.99 for 500 rounds. To be humane, double tap these creatures. That's about 7 bucks for every 250 death sentences.

March 10, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • josh

No, I checked... If you buy them in bulk you can get them for as low as .07 cents.... Thats 1000 S**tbags for 70bucks...
      NOW that is an investment

March 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMFAO

Then use their dead bodies to make a damn in Hawaii to stop the tsunami.

March 11, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bob

So, now that we have a single drug that's abundant in supply and easy to administer.... can we clear out the backlog?

There are currently over 3000 people on Death Row. Statistically speaking, it's likely that 5-10 of them are falsely accused and could be acquitted, but at the risk of sounding inhumane, that's a reasonable price to be paid.

March 10, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ahem

Unless you are one of the 5-10 who are innocent and on death row.

Your humanity....it is limitless and astounds.

March 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • trav202

That's the spirit. Better to execute 1,000 innocent men than to have 1 guilty man go free! Right?

March 10, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Your math needs work. My proposition was that sacrificing 1-2 potentially innocent lives was worth ridding the country of nearly 3500 convicted death row felons.

What do you think would happen if just ONE of those 3500 inmates escaped? I assure you more lives would be lost in that scenario than in mine. How much money is spent on keeping those guilty people alive for all these years? How many lives could be saved elsewhere if that money was spent on things like medical research or food/shelter for the homeless?

Would it suck to be one of those few wrongly accused innocent people who dies? Of course. But they're going to die anyway, eventually. (they're on death row, after all) speeding up the process only shortens their misery.

In the end, more innocent lives would be saved and drastically improved by summarily killing all death row inmates, but the prospect of the potential for error (even though it's been proven over the years to be a very VERY minuscule chance) clouds your judgment. Call it triage, if you'd like. Some people have to die for other people to live. Facts of life.

March 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • realworld

Not everybody thinks like you or Ohio. Illinois just did away with the death penalty.

March 10, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • pauline

Unless one of the 10 is your mother...or you.

March 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marc

Hey Bob...Please move to China.

March 11, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

Are we supposed to be happy and cheer on our government for legalizing a new way to kill people? I think we can do away with the argument that we execute people "for" the loved ones of the victim. The government executes because it wants to–whether or not the family of the victim desire it. I admire those people for their mercy–which the government does not have. Execution is unnecessary premeditated calculated homicide by the state. It is an irreversible punishment which makes it cruel and unusual. It is wrong-on every level.

March 11, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

You blubbering hand wringers sitting out in extreme left field are so cute. You're almost as adorable as gun toting right wing extremists.

March 11, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sara

At 10% error rate, you would execute 300 INNOCENT people? Yes, that is inhumane. So in order to gain retribution for innocent lives that were already taken, you'd like to also kill more innocent people? I'm sure the families of the innocent that were executed would greatly disagree with you.

March 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • josh

they may not agree, but they will get over it...

March 10, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ahem

He's a beacon of kindness, isn't he?

March 10, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • MeToo

OK..Then let's do it this way...Was there eyewitnesses...Yes...Inject !!!!

March 10, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • NyteShayde

...next worn out, tired, and sorry argument, please.

March 11, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. *Lee

I hope it hurt to me LI is to humane bring back old sparky, he deserved to suffer.

March 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gloria

I have never favored the death penalty, and as a Christian, I oppose abortion, as well. I do not consider myself to be radical, so some of the comments on this site are frightening–not surprising, but frightening.

I'm sure there are more than 5-10 death row inmates who are innocent of the crime(s) they are going to be executed for, and thank goodness DNA can now clear some of these folks. It is a known fact that executions cost us much more than life sentences. While many death row inmates have committed heinous, vicious crimes, God is the only one to judge when it is someone's time to die, and that includes compassionate euthanasia.

Our country has too much of a disdain for life, and it seems this sad commentary is getting worse. Look at the rates of neglect, abuse, and murders committed against our babies and children. Granted some of these youngsters may be alive and well today had it not been for someone who may be sitting on death row this minute, but the numbers of people who would volunteer to step up and administer the lethal injection or flip the switch is downright scary.

March 10, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie

blah blah blah

March 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • *Lee

There is no god sweat heart sorry so yeah us humans are the most supreme beings life right now and we do have the right to decide who lives based on what crimes they've comitted. Sorry if the truth hurts.

March 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gort01

GLORIA::: blah, blah, blah....omg you sound so wishy washy.....get some big girl panties on and realize that some people just need to be put to sleep,.....to be no more...they dont deserve to live in a civilized society....

March 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Executions cost more than life sentences because of the number of appeals from the convicted prior to execution. Guilty or not, they're find every legal pathway in the book to try to overturn the decision. Appeals should be limited if there were enough credible eyewitnesses who saw you do what you did.

March 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ty

So say this person came into your house and killed your family... you'd choose to let them live, choose to give them food and board with your tax dollars. What your stating is if this happened to you, you would pay to keep the killer alive. God can't save these people. You can't bring God into this. Not everyone believes in God, so it's unfair to put that point forth. Religion has nothing to do with capital punishment, so it needs to be left out of it. If there is this 'God' you speak of, he would of never let this person kill another. So with that said, there either is no God, or God must of called in sick the day this happened.

March 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreddieK

Crank up old Sparky and lets get it done yalll.
      Torture is the only way to make a holes mend their ways
      die Biotch

March 10, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

I agree with you, Gloria. and anyone who does not believe that execution is a hate crime in itself just needs to read the comments that go with every execution. I think it is also worthy to note that the loved ones of the person murdered did not want this execution–yet the government and pro death penalty advocates-including people who have no personal involvement clamor not only for this execution, but for more-even for execution of the innocent-as an acceptable price to be paid.

March 11, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Thanks for your perspective, Gloria. Non-extremist Truth, plain and simple.

March 11, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Iron Cross

But are you pro military?

March 11, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jim T

Justice served.....17 years later.

March 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Yusuf Atinuke

I wonder if death penalty is a punishment,since every single one of us will die eventually! Instead harden criminals should be given life imprisonment with no possibility of parole.

March 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie

At the cost of the rest of us law abiding citizens? No thanks. These dudes cost money to keep alive.

March 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hasher Iva

23 hours a day in their cell like the old Alcatraz days. Basic medical, take 2 aspirin and come back to sick call in the morning. Didn't make it until morning? Oops.

March 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • *Lee

Or we could just avoid trial costs all together and take them out Dexter style throw them in the ocean when done and keep a little blood slide to serve a a warnin to others.

March 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Have you seen pictures of the Cook County jail in Illinois? They are going around the internet. Doesn't look much like a prison. Doesn't look much like Alcatraz... Looks more like a country club with bars on the windows.

March 11, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Heidi

Not that I care too much but it didnt say whether he was given a choice to be the test project for this drug used for the execution did it? If I had been him I probably would have found myself more than happy to be a test subject since its the only thing he could do at this point to give back to society for what he did but I was just curious how much of a say he had in the decision to use the alternative drug.

March 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Heidi

I agree with you Yusuf. Execution is the easy way out.

March 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. PaigeJ

I get so disgusted with the racist remarks I see everyday on so many of these web sites. The one thing I am proud of is that you don't see as many hate notations from people of color as you see from the ignorant undereducated people that have nothing better to do than spew hate. While you are talking about Black History month why don;t you take some time and educate yourself on the wonderful things that Black people have done that makes your sorry life better. A Black man was the first to do open heart surgery. Take that in your sorry pipe and smoke it. Its funny how you like to jump up and down and notate under every news article where a black person has committed a crime and write somthing stupid, but when a White person commits a crime nothing is posted. As for the other pea brain that said we should kill innocent lives, I hope they come and get you. You idiots are amazing, and your racism is disgusting, but guess what we don't care what you think. We are here and we are not going anywhere. So keep hating it is so motivating to know that everyday you are thinking about us. Peace.

March 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • *Lee

I'm pro DP and I'm not a racist in fact my boyfriend is Latino and it's very hatefull of YOU to think all pros are rascist so cram it you bleeding heart murderer lover.

March 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ahem

@ Lee

I'm an all American Latina and I think you're half a booty. 😀

No, no... You're a whole booty! ;D ;D ;D Mostly you are a booty for jumping on someone (so to speak) simply because they expressed an opinion that was not in line with your views. You knew PaigeJ didn't mean you, she knows, obviously, that her comment was not directed toward you, yet you felt like putting your two silly cents in where they didn't belong. So for that simple fact, I myself shall jump headlong into your general direction and hurl insults at you. Hurrah!

PS: I took yer JEB! AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! W00t W00t!

March 10, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

And your hate is any better than anyone else's?

I've seen quite a bit of hate from "people of colour" on these boards; just because YOU don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. You're also a hypocrite. You can say whatever you want and call names, but anyone who says anything about "people of colour" is damned.

And "Black History Month" should be done away with if you want to promote unity amongst races; trying to make people feel sorry for your ancestors doesn't make you look like a victim, it makes you look like an attention wh0re.

March 11, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. scroo yoo

not racist,but why isnt slavery an option for our prison population?Im sure they could find a way to make them work without being an escape risk.why cant we make them produce electricity,make them run in wheels or push a crank all day or something?

March 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Heidi

I could care less what the color of the person is committing the crime.
    I agree with Paige, you guys should lay off. A brotha performed open heart surgery for the first time? I didnt know that. Learn something new every day 🙂 That is really cool.

March 10, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie

"A brotha performed open heart surgery for the first time?"

Seriously? Did you miss her entire point?

meanwhile, crime is color blind. You kill, hurt, or intrude on someones elses right to life then you should be punished. End of story. They should be researching the cheapest way to end life in regards to criminals who get death.

March 10, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

"They should be researching the cheapest way to end life in regards to criminals who get death."

As for methods that are still in use: Firing Squad (albeit barely in use... it was used last June) In order to keep it "humane" and all that, 10 men are lined up with rifles, 1-2 of them have blanks, so that no one knows for sure who actually killed the target. You can read up on the whole process on wikipedia.

There are probably cheaper ways that can still retain some humanity (don't think we're bringing back beheading) but firing squad is your best bet, imo. Low cost, dignified, efficient.

March 10, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |