March 13th, 2011

NY police tight-lipped about officer's shooting

Police in New York are expected to release more information Sunday about the shooting death of a Nassau County officer that they are calling accidental.

The officer was shot about 8 p.m. ET while responding to a call of a suspicious person walking with weapons in Long Island's Massapequa Park, the Nassau County Police said.

The department did not release any other details about the shooting, other than to say the officer was part of the special operations bureau, which carries out high-risk search warrant executions and anti-gang operations.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. SortaOffTopicGuy

I wonder if anyone else has had this phenomenon with them? Once I was 18 and with a buddy, his gf and her friend. We were having a few drinks and I ended up going with the single girl up to her room to (fill in the blank). Cops interrupted us by saying our music was too loud, but it wasn't that large of a radio. Basically I was pulled out of a closet by my hair nude by a cop. I was hiding because I was surprised the cops felt it was necessary to go through the house so I was really just trying to avoid being manhandled naked by a cop. I would have to say that many opportunities of alone time have been ruined by cops. There were times where I was doing nothing wrong legally yet they felt compelled to ruin a makeout session in some secluded area of the country. Then when I get a gun stuffed in my face the cops ask if I wanna come fill out a report. No but I would like you tough guys whom pulled an 18 year old kid's hair to come do your JOB. My point about cops is this. Many do not deserve their badge. They act like they've never had a couple drinks underage or had intimacy while a teenager. When it comes to real danger they leave me hanging though. I don't know if this dead cop was good or bad, but it's hard to feel compassion for many of them. Where were they when I needed them? MIA. I hope this was not one of the few that did their job with honor. The rest should get another job. Ooooohh pot! Ooooohh intamacy.. Yeah cops never do either? Joke.

March 13, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Doni Joes

Karma is Btch.

March 14, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. tracyrobert267

It is fantastic time to refinance home mortgage. As Clark Howard says it is very tough to find these low rates for long time. Search online for 123 Mortgage Refi they found me THE lowest possible rate.

March 14, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

Whatever, Spam-a-lot!

March 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. UdirtyRat

I was at a high school party once. All the kids were in the basement drinking and listening to music (yes in hindsight I know it was illegal and wrong). They sent a minimum of 4-5 cruisers with 2 cops per car because of the noise complaint. Around that same time in my life I was awaken by my mother at 1am. I was sober and asleep. A car had pulled into my driveway and there were 4-5 cars in the street squawking tires, blasting music, and the occupants were screaming obscenities. My truck was parked in the street and I had originally thought the car in the driveway was a friend in need of help (turns out he was in on the whole thing). Worried about my friend I got dressed and ran outside with a bat. Turns out a kid whom thought he was a suburban gangsta bully that I tried avoiding was having a drinking party (condoned by his amazing parents) and he got all the people there to come mess with me (some supposedly my friends). A couple car windows got smashed out by me and I ended up arrested (I have no issues about my arrest because I broke the law), but the police sent one car and later another to deal with me while letting all the underage drunk driving instigators off the hook. The cops never went to the house where the party was happening under parental enabling. It seems that cops are willing to send half the department to bust up a party, but when a violent altercation takes place involving multiple underage law breakers then one car is sufficient. I can't name how many times I've seen cops go after trivial infractions like piranha and have never exacted true fair justice whenever I (or anyone else) was being terrorized. I will stop short of calling any cop a pig, but I do know God is watching and even the police have to answer for their infractions. God doesn't give a buddy system free pass to judges or cops like the "boys" give themselves. All I ask as a taxpayer is they do their jobs equally. If I lived in certain areas I would hate the police, because they are always there to bust some kid for weed, but response time for a shooting or beating can take hours for someone to show up. I'd like to see more federal investigations and oversight.

March 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. 6DegreesOfOfficerBacon

*Breathing Heavilly Because the kevlar vest is squeezing my gut and clogged aorta * Do you have any idea how much paperwork is involved in police work? Garr.. Why arrest multiple perps when we can arrest one and make him/her the whipping boy? There I just saved everyone hours of paperwork and processing while ensuring we'll have more criminals out there to bust. Ahh job security. Why target cartels when we can bust a college kid for smoking pot in his dorm room? See how nice this is? It gives us a steady stream of revenue for the least amount of work. I pray the US ghumint never targets cartels. Then I'd have to find a real job and I don't exactly like the whole exerting energy thing...

March 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

I have seen and heard of experiences like yours before, UdirtyRat. In my area it depends on how many patrol cars are in the area, and how slow a day is. I have seen 3 squads show up for a seat-belt violation! (I was a passenger.) Maybe they were bored...but all of it is relative, I suppose, and I think the police do the best that they can (in my area). I can't speak for other places, but here, the police have our backs!

And no, I don't live in Mayberry! 🙂

March 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. UdirtyRat

@banasy: I've grown up in the burbs. Every day was a slow day. Their busiest time is when they mobilize the entire department to catch SEATBELT violators. Not kidding. They have certain streets lined up with cops and about a mile down the road they have a guy on a radio pointing out cars where the driver isn't buckled up. Where was Dudley Do Right to protect me from all the violent punks that I grew up around? Too little too late I'm afraid. In my opinion they choose not to solve problems. They're lazy. When they need revenue they harass every car within sight. Some child toucher is roaming around freely while that stuff happens. The cops protect the bad peeps and go after the small fish so they can pat themselves on the back. As I said before God is watching this scam. You can't pick and choose who is more arrestable. Breaking the law applies to everyone not just the worst offender. You're scenario is cute banasy, but try living here in my shoes. Let's see how u like it.

March 14, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Get Serious

Of course he was shot by another 'trigger happy cop'! Otherwise it would NEVER have been deemed 'accidental' certainly not so quickly; And someone's ass would be not only be in jail but getting the bee-jezzus beaten out of them. Or they'd have been killed on the spot. However for every 'trigger happy rouge cowboy cop' out there, there are DOZENS of of good cops out there who go by the book, think, look and assess 1st BEFORE pulling the trigger. My prayers and thoughts are with the slain officer and his family.

March 15, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. ed Bailey

Hey Jerry you are full of crap. I have met some of the meanest most vile intentionally ruthless pigs to ever wear a uniformand I have never been a BAD GUY in my life.I have also met some damn decent police officers!!!!

March 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

Do not be insulting to *me*, UdirtyRat; I've done nothing to *you*

March 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. UdirtyRat

You're really kinda touchy you know that? If asking you to switch shoes is an insult then it appears I can't say anything. Have a wonderful life. 🙂 Obviously you know you wouldn't want to switch places with me. You're arrogant, rude, vindictive and you act like your feces don't stink. No wonder you like cops so much. They probably take turns on you in the bathroom of their little cop bars. *that was an insult* see the difference?

March 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. UdirtyRat

@banasy: sorry there's a troll here. Although I agree that I wasn't insulting u, you still didn't really answer my point. Why can a whole department be dedicated to seatbelt infractions while huge violent events are not so much worth attention?

March 15, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

I haven't posted here since yesterday. Guess the troll got both of us.

Your whole department ignores everything in your 'burb except seat belt violations? Whoa. I'd be ticked off, too! I sympathize with you, as I have lived in a town that does a lot of the same things, and I definitely do NOT find it cute.

All I was saying is that the town I live in NOW has our backs. Yes, there are times where they have speed/seatbelt traps going, but it is mandated by the TOWN, not the force themselves. And if everybody didn't speed/wore their seatbelts, as mandated by law, (which I'm pretty sure everybody knows about around here) there wouldn't be any need for them.

As for violent crime, they have solved 98% of them, and 100% of the murders here, although our town doesn't have many murders committed. In other words, we have a good force. I do not judge all officers by the few power-trip bozos that I have run across from time to time, even from my own town. My answer is that I'm very sorry you have such a obviously revenue-driven suburban force; mine isn't.

March 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ncpdoverpaidemptysuits

and the news has yet to announce which 2 NCPD cops shot the kid in the house.
    Condolences to the family of the officer killed, and sympathies to the officer who shot him.
    If that unit was so elite they know the dangers of identification/ confrontations while in plains clothes
    He should not have been carrying a long assault style weapon if not in uniform.

March 16, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |