March 13th, 2011

NY police tight-lipped about officer's shooting

The officer was shot about 8 p.m. ET while responding to a call of a suspicious person walking with weapons in Long Island's Massapequa Park, the Nassau County Police said.

The department did not release any other details about the shooting, other than to say the officer was part of the special operations bureau, which carries out high-risk search warrant executions and anti-gang operations.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. mailliam

Sounds like a friendly fire – officer on officer – accidental shooting.

March 13, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • 210

i agree, but it's still sad to hear. officers are highly trained, but you can't always be ready for something like this to happen. if another officer killed this officer, i cant imagine how that officer feels right now. my prayers are with them.

March 13, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Sickoftheleftandtheright

I was thinking the same thing. This is heartbreaking. It seems as though we are losing an awful lot of police officers throughout the country. My condolences to his family.

March 13, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat

Officer-on-officer, maybe, but what was there to indicate it was accidental?

March 13, 2011 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

The negative comments are to be expected. We incarcerate 3 million people in America at any given time...You don't think they will come out of prisons with good things to say about the people who put them there do you? No, the focus will be to discredit and point out the bad in the police to make themselves look and feel better. People in general will listen to stories of the 1% of careless, bad, or corrupt cops (whatever you want to call tem). They will then exaggerate, add to and fabricate stories about their own experiences making off the wall comments to draw attention to themselves. I know, I have been with people who were pulled over and then heard them retell the story... the integrity of the human race is in serious jeopardy! From my military experience, I know how accidental discharges can and do happen. Many of our war casualties occur this way (Pat Tillman being a famous example)... it's funny, I never hear these types of negative comments about soldiers and Marines when a friendly fire incident occurs, probably it’s because people are superficial and go with trend over values and principle. Maybe it's because soldiers aren’t holding people accountable for their actions. These officers responding to a high risk call (someone with a weapon etc) are going to combat just like a soldier. When the mind is on the objective, focus can be lost and weapon safety (among many other things) can be compromised.
      When a true “bad guy” infiltrates law enforcement, every officer I know, military or civilian, wants them rooted out and you better believe they want them to pay for making everyone look bad. The reality is, there is no covering for a bad cop (contrary to the extreme ignorance of many in the public, who's knowledge of law enforcement is based on speculation and movies) and a bad guy with a badge is not a COP, he is an impersonator.

March 13, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Fire Man- I have spent, going on 18 years in the Infantry... I will never say I know everything, but I can say with a high level of certainty that I have forgotten more about friendly fire, muzzle discipline and target engagement than you and everyone in your fire department combined. Why don't you stick to fighting fires- someday you may become good at it.

March 13, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Inyourshoes

@AFIREMAN WOW! I think you meet the criteria of a POS even if you haven't been to prison yet!

March 13, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • tmichael

Accidents happen. But so do coverups. And it's the attempts to coverup that create HUGE problems. Just come clean, that's all. BTW, since most police officers have probably never handled a gun until police training and have had many years of firearms "training" courtesy of Hollywood and TV, expect some problems.

March 13, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Real Story

Here's the rest of the story that CNN left out.

March 13, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Rizzod

Pat says "Officer-on-officer, maybe, but what was there to indicate it was accidental?"

Post said "Police in New York are expected to release more information Sunday about the shooting death of a Nassau County officer that they are calling accidental."

my work here is done.

March 13, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • zjones

God Bless Our Police and Public Service Folks in this country for your noble occupation. Funnie how folks respond...My father was a Tulsa Police Officer in the 50's but quit the dept in 1962 because he was concerned about Dept transition that would require him among many other things, to re-arrest bad guys over and over again...You see, back in the day an officer had respect, authority and discretion and that all played real well with the type of integrity my dad had...about the third time some looser got picked up he wasn't going to jail anymore, not this time...he would have been taken around back of the local SAfeway store and received a convincing demonstration to change his ways or leave...vanish for good. Although a very successful and effective technique it was vigilante and my dad realized it was wrong and not sustainable....keyword, integrity. If you are still with me walking down memory lane you will hear this word again. My dad decided to take up another line of work, sales...but wanted to stay in law too...so he went to law school, at nite, until he was 33 yrs old. At this point he was a lawyer now like many of his friends he grew up with but guess what he discovered? There was no way in hell he was gonna defend maggots who were obviously not even worthy of the air they breathe...so here we go again...a Masters degree in law...(he wound up teaching law part time) but still...his integrity would not allow him to chance representing a guilty party. O.J. Simpson comes to mind. I will promise you Officers today face a much more grave environment with much less personal discretion in most situations that has been ongoing for 50 years...These officers make a difference in your day to day life regardless of your opinion of them and I pray we always have men with integrity willing to do so.

March 13, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

@Jomo....NEWS FLASH!!!! The Civil Rights Era is over. You are now in the 21st century. We landed on the moon, Martin Luther King was assinsinated, the Vietnam War is over, we have color TV's, the hula hoop is gone, and our government is still taxing us to death.

March 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

Who cares about this? Isn't there any Charlie news?

March 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

you kill anybody ? a couple cops. No real people ? No, just a couple cops. gotta love quentin t.

March 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarronFreed

If he was shot trying to infringe upon someone's 2nd Amendment rights, I have no sympathy for him. The Founding Fathers said "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" and they meant it. They did not provide for ANY exclusions.

March 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

I'm sure the shooter-officer will keep his job...these folks are in a different class. A few years ago, a Fairfax County Police Officer accidentally shot and killed a man...he still works for them. I can cite numerous recent cases where this has happened. Cops do not have to live by the same laws as the rest of us. And as for the cop who said there are sure to be negative comments, I've never been to prison. People will stop being angry when you folks are held accountable to the same set of laws as the rest of us.

March 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Inyourshoes

@Brad and DarronFreed- Boo Hoo Hoo! You babies need your mommies don't you! Boo Hoo Hoo... Our founding fathers... Boo Hoo Hoo, Four score... Boo Hoo Hoo... and seven years ago... Boo Hoo Hoo... SHUT UP! LOL

March 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark in the ATL

Many previous posts have "thin blue line" references when in fact it is more like the "thin black line" on the streets of America. You can be almost certain that this officer is a minority. I do not have knowledge of any white officers killed in this manner. It is called profiling, pure and simple.

March 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justenc

If this was "friendly fire"–it just goes to show that we are lied to when we are told that officers are "highly trained"...If this was a case of friendly fire–the person who pulled the trigger, officer or no should be investigated and treated like every other citizen would be–the non privileged class. No special treatment in this and no cover ups...

March 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CigarSmoker

Accidental? Must have been shot by another cop.

March 13, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
    • 210

damn that itchy trigger finger

March 13, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • tmichael

Read "Serpico" sometime. Not the movie version, but the book. Good people do bad things sometimes.

March 13, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Harry

Good people don't do bad things. Bad people do bad things. that's what make them bad. Sometimes, people try desparately to make bad people SEEM like good people by making ridiculas claims like "sometimes good people do bad things." The call it a "cop out" for a reason.

March 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • greg

@Steve, a theory is a theory until its proven. Blind faith is simply BLIND STUP1DITY.....

March 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jerome

Or they wanted him dead.

March 13, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
    • 210

if they wanted him dead, they could have done something that didnt make the news.

March 13, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Oh, the conspiracy theory has no rules or limits. No knowledge or common sense required...

March 13, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. SGT J

First i'll say my respects to the slain officer and his family. Now, I hate to say it, but the police now a days are so trigger happy, I wish most of them would join the military instead of the police where that bravado can be of some use. I hope this is not an incident of trigger happy cops, thinking they are in a war zone as opposed to the old fashioned "serve and protect" kind.

March 13, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • ThinBlueLine

@ SGT J . . . Thank you for the respect you attempted to show the family of my fellow law enforcement brother, but your follow on remarks are unwarranted. In case you have been missing headlines lately law enforcement officers in the United States and internationally are being targeted, shot at during warrant service, and murdered. Statistics show that criminals protecting their illicit activities such as drug distribution and smuggling and other gang associated activities are more likely to fire on police officers and federal agents today than at any other time in US history. Those of us in law enforcement find your remarks shallow and ignorant as to the operating environment we face on a daily basis. And many of us have served our country in the military in Iraq and Afghanistan . . . believe me we know that the streets of the United States are not the streets of Baghdad or the mountains of Tora Bora . . . yet we choose to continue to put our lives on the line to keep the citizens of America safe here at home while the brave men and women of the Armed Forces continue to protect the US from threats abroad. Police officers and federal agents are well trained, and the extreme minority of bad apples notwithstanding, know damn well that serving and protecting the members of their communities against the evils of guns, drugs, child exploitation etc. is no routine job. Though the streets of America are not a declared war zone by Geneva Convention, do not for a minute believe that the men and women in blue do not fight every day against criminals who would love nothing more than to hurt you, or even your family, if it means they could make a quick buck and continue to sell drugs to kids. I am sure you have done your part for our country in some way, and I appreciate you for that, but I am tired of people disrespecting the very law enforcement they depend on when their lives or property are threatened.

March 13, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
    • JBM

Cops are human just like everyone else. We are not "trigger happy". If you have ever killed anyone before, you would know that it does not feel good no matter how justified you were. Taking someones life is the last thing anyone of us would want to do, but it happens. Taking another officers life by accident............that is something we could never imagine!

March 13, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
    • SGT J

@thin, thanks for your well thought out rebuttal to my post. First, I have served as a man in blue in Chicago, and then have been a man in green for a very long time. I have seen 1st hand the police who treat people like crap first and ask questions later. I have nothing but the utmost respect for law enforcement, I was merely pointing out that there are a large growing number of cops on the street that should have joined the military instead. Yes you deal with a lot of stuff, but sometimes i think you have forgotten your mission statement... protect and serve the public... I fear that the United States has in some areas turned into a police state and it's disturbing. These overzealous police men and women are not criminals in my eyes.. just very bull headed and need much more supervision. Keep doing your job and stay safe. I think if you read my original comments you will see that i offered no ill will toward anyone and did not disrespect anyone, I merely stated that I hope this wasn't a case of shoot first and ask questions later.

March 13, 2011 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
    • riocharlie

in case you didn't know there is a war in the streets also. Get your head out of the sand! take a ride along with the police and see for yourself if, i say id, you have the nuts to!

March 13, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
    • SGT J

Actually Riocharlie, you'd say "if" I had the nuts to. Your comment is emotionally based and not factually based. i will not take as insulting your comments as you know nothing of me and if you'd read my second comment you'd see that I have already taken many rides with the police as I once was one. But you obviously don't care to read factual stuff, you are merely a troll , online to spread hate. Good-morning to you either way. Just proof-read your comments is all i'd really say to you.

March 13, 2011 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Bunch

My brother is a cop. He is neither 'macho' or full of bravado. But if he feels his life is in danger, I sure as hell want him to be 'trigger happy.' Just because you may have once been a cop, doesn't make you right SGT J. All you're statement does is show you're quick to jump to assumptions and generalizations. Bravo.

March 13, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
    • ThinBlueLine

@ SGT J, I appreciate your reply. I wish more people would have mature discussions and conversations on public posts as I think everyone should be discussing those issues that are important to them in this wonderful democracy of ours. I thank you for your service under the green and blue banners as well and I do see your point regardless of whether or not I am in agreement. Mostly I just wanted to reiterate (as I am sure you will agree) that the majority of brave officers and agents out there on the streets of America are doing the right thing and ultimately do want to protect and serve . . . All too often people (due in no small part to the trigger happy media so to speak) jump to conclusions about how officers should have acted at the critical moment when their lives were being threatened etc. It would help if the public let investigating officials due their jobs and get to the bottom of the incidents in questions before we (sometimes myself included) judge the actions of officers in the line of fire. Thanks again and all the best.

March 13, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Art III

I would like to thank all men and women in blue or green for keeping our country and cities as safe as possible. We owe you a great debt. I have plenty of relatives (as well as myself) who served, where, it doesn't matter. It takes a certain disposition to take that burden on your shoulders. Thank you very much. Have a great day and a better tomorrow.

March 13, 2011 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
    • jack

The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits. So get used to more retards running around with guns.

March 13, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • COL. BAT GUANO

Yo, Thin Blue Line. You guys want respect? Try giving it. People are sick of you, and quite frankly not going to take it any more.

March 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • kanon

@Dave NY USA

Take your medicine.

March 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kenny

"Friendly Fire"? Give me a break people. There is nothing "Friendly" about one officer shooting another. To believe stuff like that one would have to be as stupid as people like Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann, and thank goodness no one other than Sharon Angle and the "Delaware Witch" are as stupid as Bachmann and Palin.

March 13, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
    • JustSomeGuy

It's 'Friendly Fire' as apposed to 'Enemy Fire'. Do you really think that 'Friendly' is meant to be taken literally or were you just attempting to make a joke. Either way, try and do better next time please...

March 13, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
    • JustSomeGuy

opposed that is... >.<

March 13, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jam

@ Kenny: If Sarah Palin were the governor of NY, she would have ordered few million dollars to buy more guns to the police department on hearing this news; oh wait may be few fishing rods and fishing nets as well.

March 13, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. Boo Hoo

Bacon Chief- He wasn't black. Nice to jump to conclusions mr. race card dropper.

March 13, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • JomoDaMusicMan

What the writer was saying that there was a greater probability that the officer who was the victim of the shooting was black. Like I stated in my previous post that 75% of all black officer who was killed in the line of duty was not killed by the criminal element in the streets but by white officers. Now these stats were from the Black Police Officers Ass. in the Pre Crack Cocaine days. NOT JUST ONE CITY BUT THRU OUT AMERICA

March 13, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. Boo Hoo

P.S. I'd like my million dollars in large bills pls.

March 13, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sickoftheleftandtheright

@ The Bacon Chief

Please don't do this. A man is dead who had a family. I don't know if you're correct or incorrect, but I do know it's quite tacky. Please give this man and his family the honor they deserve. Otherwise, just don't post anything.

March 13, 2011 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sickoftheleftandtheright

Are these two stories one in the same:

March 13, 2011 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. johnessj

tight lip about huh ?? must be something devious.. the code of blue in full use. here a guess. the cop was kill b/c he was about to do something stupid. the cop was kill b/c he had done something stupid. any more question.?? refer it to my 2nd amement hand book. thanks !!

March 13, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. ron

No matter what happened, a person is dead and his/her family will have to live with that the rest of their lives.
    And just for the record, some of you posters sound like uneducated Ardvaarks.

March 13, 2011 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

The truth is that someone was shot by a trigger happy cop which happens quite often, just this time it was another cop. This happens when you assume others are criminals not deserving of life and premeditate shooting them before you verify a reason. the thinking process takes time so its easier to be prepared and just act. Is there really another logical reason would this happen? Maybe the other cop reached for his badge before identifying himself like an idiot (i doubt it) or tried to run? the latter is a possibility to stay undercover but is still murder on the clothed officers behalf.

March 13, 2011 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. Appalled

Some of these comments are absolute proof as to why I became a police officer.

I work in a large city. Every night before I go to work, I kiss my wife and make sure my kids are asleep. Why? It's a distinct possibility that I might not come home. Maybe I'll never give my daughter away at her wedding or see my son graduate from college. I don't carry a gun to work or wear armor because it's cool. I do it to keep me alive, and by default, maybe you or your family.

With that being said, there is no "bravado". There's no "friendly fire". No "race card". Just a dead public servant who went to a job and gave up his future to help his community and this country. And for what? So you can sit back and call him a "pig" or insinuate that he was dirty? That's a real testimony to someone that went out to "play" with thieves, rapists, murderers and dealers.

Instead of spending time writing this garbage, find something better to do.

March 13, 2011 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
    • SGT J

Well said Appalled

March 13, 2011 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Syndicate

It is rough job to be sure, but there are positive reasons in being police officer, not necessarily bad ones either. The personal rewards of doing the job right must in some way compensate for the risk involved, otherwise no rational person would do it. Nor would society endlessly fantasize about it in pop culture if it were this purely altruistic enterprise of self-sacrifice and meager pay devoid of any self-interest or self-aggrandizement.

And just like metaphorical skydiving – like Lara Logan in Tahir Square or the Columbia astronauts – sometimes you jump out and parachute don't open.

March 13, 2011 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Shontquarious

well said appalled.
      usually i know it is my bruthas dat be doing the killings. dat's true and we all see it every day in america.
      the loss of all lives by gun is tragic if u be axing me.

March 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • greg

Appalled

Some of these comments are absolute proof as to why I became a police officer.

Instead of spending time writing this garbage, find something better to do.

Spare me you're BS. If I was in an ally and a man with a knife threatened me and I shot and killed him I would more than likely be charged. The law applies equally to all including cops. THE POLICE KILLED A MAN AND IN DOING SO KILLED AN OFFICER USING DEADLY FORCE WHEN DEADLY FORCE WAS NOT JUSTIFIED THE OFFICE WHO IS ACCOUNTABLE SHOULD BE CHARGED.

March 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave NY USA

Oh, boo friggon hoo. Go tell it to the clerk at Dunkin Donuts.

March 13, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. InTheKnow

Actually, There was a barricaded perp, perp lunged at first due officers , they responded by killing the perp. an unknow time later the BSO officer was shot. The special operations officers of nassau county alot of them are plain clothed wearing jeans and a black jacket over their tac vests.. very likely he was carrying his m4 as well.. i hope this clears things up for some who are wondering..
    may he rest in peace..
    and may the officer who might or might not have been involved in the friendly fire incident be able to cope with such a horrific tragedy.

March 13, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
    • greg

Might of or might not have been involved???? Involved indicates accident or on purpose? Not involved indicates the officer killed committed suicide. Your post makes NO SENSE. Someone was INVOLVED...... LOL!!!

March 13, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |