March 13th, 2011

NY police tight-lipped about officer's shooting

Police in New York are expected to release more information Sunday about the shooting death of a Nassau County officer that they are calling accidental.

The officer was shot about 8 p.m. ET while responding to a call of a suspicious person walking with weapons in Long Island's Massapequa Park, the Nassau County Police said.

The department did not release any other details about the shooting, other than to say the officer was part of the special operations bureau, which carries out high-risk search warrant executions and anti-gang operations.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. angela

I agree and am proud of the men and women who are police officers. Don't listen to these idiots who have nothing to do but post negative comments on EVERY board

March 13, 2011 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. him

I am sorry for this man,s fly. now you know and i know that when a cop take,s out a drug dealer he will get lot,s of pat,s on the back from the his fellow code blue buddy,s good job well done and most likely move-up in rank.foeget about the drug dealer fly. the sob got what he had coming same here it,s called carmor.when the cop,s stop slaming folk,s head to the hard floor then a 285lb. man put,s his knee to the neck causeing damage that will show up year,s later or twist a lady,s arm so hard causing permtant. damage to said lady knowing this i say pay back is a b%$)( so like the cop,s say every day suck it up.

March 13, 2011 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bunch

Troll.

March 13, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. jeff

Why is it that cops are always complaining about the risk's of their job, it's like a burger flipper complaining about grease burns on his arms, where I live cops make dam good money and have great benefits. you applied for the job, you cash the paychecks, nobody is making you do this job, if you don't like your work get a different job. stop all this thin blue whining.

March 13, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
    • ThinBlueLine

Jeff in no way was I complaining about the risks of my chosen profession. Those of us who have chosen to do something for the good of our community or country don't complain about risks, we are here to face them. We do that so the public doesn't have to. I think the discussions have focused more on ensuring that no one jumps to any conclusions about what happened before we know the true story of what occurred with this officer. Of course I am not looking to troll here in response to your comment, I just wanted to clarify in case you confused someone speaking their mind with whining.

March 13, 2011 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
    • jeff

thin blue, no disrespect intended, it's just that people everywhere face danger at work everyday, some more, some less, some not at all. yet every time a cop is hurt or killed, it's big news. It may turn out that this guy was not killed by a criminal, which would mean that this is simply a sad workplace accident.

March 13, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
    • ThinBlueLine

@Jeff: Understood, and don't get me wrong I appreciate the points everyone is putting up. It is interesting when people raise their right hand and take an oath to do something then complain about it later. When I was in the military I found some of the cases of conscientous (sp) objectors who had already served tours in OIF and OEF very interesting from a justification perspective. But hey that is their right of course, and this is a discussion I definitely don't want to start in this room. Take care!

March 13, 2011 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jerry

Just the pure fact nothing about these officers has yet to be released shows your jumping to conclusions due to your own foolishness.
    Officers do not intend to harm anyone regardless of race creed or gender.
    If by chance it does occur, as you spoke it, it was by fear for his own life nothing to do with color.
    The fact that crime by gun is more commonplace in color areas too is a cause for this caution and occasional MISTAKES are made leaving the shooting officer devastated for life also.
    It is a horrible thing......... great strides have been made over the past 30 years to avoid these tragedies!

March 13, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. ThinBlueLine

To the few posters in this thread who repeatedly use the term "pig" in reference to police officers I would like to say "You're welcome." You're welcome for the 1st Amendment right and ability to speak your mind in a society where freedom of expression is upheld, You're welcome for the ability to be able to pick up the phone and dial 9-1-1 and someone, whether it is an EMT, Police officer, Firefighter etc., will put their lives on the line to get to your location and help you deal with potentially life threatening problem. You're welcome for the ability to live in a country, though by no means perfect, but a great country nonetheless where people like you can take advantage of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" without the threat of invasion from a foreign power. I say You're welcome because those of us who have chosen to serve our communities and/or country as law enforcement or military members have, and continue to, put our lives on the line so that you can call us "pigs", protest the burying of a fallen Marine, and take part in whatever other forms of anti-government/anti-establishment forms of protest you may take part in. Men and women of the law enforcement and military communities owe you no amount of "thanks" . . . . but that's ok, we know you owe us more than you can ever imagine. So for those of you who wish to continue calling us "pigs" or whatever, I do sincerely wish you the best in life, I hope that no danger ever comes to you, but if it does, please know that us "pigs" willl do whatever it takes to keep you safe.

March 13, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
    • jalalmakbar

Darling/Sir: Yes Libya has one Dictator. Here every Officer is a dem-dictator. Yes every now and then we need a Fire-man and a Police Man. They get paid a lot and usually buddy with Politicians and Big Business. They like attention for every small good deed they do to keep a good PR. As far as other stuff regarding our Freedom, we have choked Middle East for a long time to fit our foreing policy namely Big Oil, Defence and Israel. Our Politicians make sure there is some problem or the other to keep this Special Interest group happy which is indifferent and hypocritical. What freedom are you talking about. Just step out and drive you will notice that there are Officers ready to give you a ticket. They are not into taking care of Crime where it matters even with state/township budget for law and order that is as big as some Nations.

March 13, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • why

First of all God bless the officer, may he rest in peace. Thank you ThinBlueLine for your service to this country. I can't understand the mindless rambling of some people who believe all cops are dirty. Most of those saying so have never even had contact with the police, they were just brought up to believe all were bad because those around them were most likely into illegal activities. For those who have had contact it's usually someone who was arrested for doing something wrong, who thinks they can do whatever they want and the cops are just violating their rights. In my experience it is generally the criminals who always say cops are dirty or pigs. Occasionally you do run across an officer who, for whatever reason, has became one of the bad guys but the good FAR outweigh the bad. The funny thing is that these cowards who call all officers pigs and the like are ever so thankful when that same officer that they just ridiculed comes along and saves them. Whether it be from a car wreck or someone with a gun many officers, everyday, all across the country step in the line of fire to save someone else. They don't stop and ask whether you're a criminal, if you like them, what political party you're with or anything else. What the officer sees is that there is someone in trouble and he or she steps in to help regardless of your race, religion or agenda. For those of you saying they get paid well to do so... apparently you've never lived on a police salary. In some parts of the country there may be some departments that pay a bit more than average but for the most part police officers are underpaid. I made more working in a local factory than our local police dept. paid and had better benefits. When officers ask for better equipment, it's not complaining, it's to keep them a bit safer which helps to better serve the community. So please, all of you cowards calling our officers "pigs", for all those who think the police are overpaid whiners... the next time you're being held at gunpoint or are in a bad wreck or any other situation that would require you to seek assistance from an officer, just call 411 instead so maybe you can get a clue. Of course there will be an officer respond to your needs whenever you call them because that's what they do. They support you even if you don't support them.

March 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. OinkOinkOink

And I will be the first one to call when things get tough. I had some stuff stolen and I called the pigs and still nothing has been done. And hell no I dont consent to a search you POS.

March 13, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. jeff

Dude, you need professional help with that anger problem

March 13, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. Surprised

Wow, just wow. Read the comments and just feel sad for the viciousness of some. I try to live my life and be good to my fellow man. I just couldn't say some of these things to someone.

March 13, 2011 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
    • cleanmydog

yes you could if you ever had a up close with one of these pig,s like so many other,s ok.

March 13, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. sdrawkcab

I was a cop , many years ago. My tenure was brief, as I was young, big, & had a "relatively" short fuse. I have matured over the years, but the reason I quit was because my sgt., a man 15 years my senior, told me I was too quick to anger. He didn't put any paper on me, he just counseled me man to man. No threats, just an honest assessment of my ability to do the job RIGHT.

For that reason, I still hold the vast majority of cops in high regard. Some of the bad ones slip through the cracks. Most don't. If more people spent just a couple of years doing the job to see what it entailed, there would be far fewer cop haters. Most folks would not be able to put up with the abuse cops have to put up with. My two cents.

March 13, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
    • cleanmydog

yes 2 cent,s is all it,s worth have you been handcuffed had your head slamed aginst concret wall or had brother killed by 50,000 volt,s to the groin i don,t think so so yes pig,s evil pig,s so get real today some pig not going home but to some morg! i say good death to pig,s ha ha !!! ok

March 13, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. are we there yet

is this thing still posting

March 13, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. are we there yet

I I guess so.

March 13, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. Che-3

Police State Machismo in American!
    They will shoot at any brother without CAUSE. NOW they’re turning the GUNS on themselves.
    The effect of “KARMA” REINS supreme!
    Implementation of “KARMA’S” consequences has just begun in a Police State.

March 13, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. jalalmakbar

Darling/Sir, Need to have Mass public transit and High Speed Rails. Save on Oil, do not have to put our troops in harms way and also relieve the work of Officers in giving out Frivolous Taxation through speeding and other traffic tickets. This way they can focus on the real crime where it matters. Townships are broke and now the Officers are extended in collecting Frivolous Taxation on the People. Now with no time to train or practise safety these things are bound to happen.

March 13, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rob

He probably was one of the honest ones and found out how the police are responsible for putting all of the drugs on the street.

March 13, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |