March 13th, 2011

NY police tight-lipped about officer's shooting

Police in New York are expected to release more information Sunday about the shooting death of a Nassau County officer that they are calling accidental.

The officer was shot about 8 p.m. ET while responding to a call of a suspicious person walking with weapons in Long Island's Massapequa Park, the Nassau County Police said.

The department did not release any other details about the shooting, other than to say the officer was part of the special operations bureau, which carries out high-risk search warrant executions and anti-gang operations.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. jim

you kill anybody ? a couple cops.......no real people ? No, just a couple cops.....

March 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. fritz

I have little respect for the police anywhere in the country. There are some good ones but the vast majority are lazy, arrogant, Christian, pot bellied, doughnut eating oinker bullies who joined the force in order to lord over the public. It's what they do because it's the only way they can feel powerful and emotionally secure. Remember that punk cop who got caught on video chewing the butt of a teen in his car? I experienced that crap as a teen many times! I recently saw a pack of cops on TV all together praying to jesus christ to protect them and grant them victory over the minions of satan just before knocking down a family's door to grab their baggie of pot and throw them in jail. I was furious after seeing that! Did I mention they killed the family dog? One day all you corrupt dirtbags who hide behind your badges will get yours once the CRUNCH comes. And it's coming soon! Rot in hell government thugs!

March 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. everyone

He probably got carried away with law enforcement adrenaline and offended the person he was supposed to arrest. Cops need to be far more polite.

March 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ben Petrone

Man no wonder the world is in the shape it is in just listen to yourselves .
    most of you have nothing better to do than bad mouth the situation, since when did you people become judge and jury.you have no heart you are cold hearted.some said that you would like to see something better as news such as charlie sheen it just goes to show you where your heads are that druggie drunk you people idolize is nothing but that if you think he has talent there is something wrong with you ,your kids watch this creep and think thats the way to go,kids tend to pic up things from crap that spews from some of these hollywood degenerates. END of SERMON.

March 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. yomama

Some people just don't like police. Most police are cool but there's a few that get them a bad rap. I've been assaulted because I left my drivers license at home and I assure I didn't do so much as raise my voice, I think its just because the way I look, Then again they helped me during a break in on my home so it goes both ways.

March 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. 2pac

I aint even gon lie, popo buncha pigs. Dey got ma cuzin real good cuz he sellin dope but dey b doin dope. My cuzin shot at em or wateva but he aint shuda neva been messed wit.

March 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. greg

Poor police work ends with two dead.

March 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hopethecuffsarenttootight

hey spitter, i took the one out of the chamber, polished it up nice, put it back in and it's ready to go...just let me know when and where you'd like it...talk is cheap, but i'll happily follow through...coward!

March 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sleet

the only good cop is a dead cop imho.

March 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Keyboard Cowboy

Police on Police... doesn't surprise me at all with how trigger happy they all are.

March 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. greg

hopethecuffsarenttootight

LOL a NJ PIG?????? You're as scary as a bad case of athletes foot. However tracing your screen name is Childs play. Don't be surprised if you are suspended this week and charged by the end of the week and asking yourself ARE THE CUFFS TOO TIGHT...

March 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rich

First, my condolence to the family of the deceased. It doesn't matter whether he was a cop or not, he was a human being first. Because I've managed to obey the law (or at least not get caught for small infringements) I've only had short dealings with the police. Usually my dealings were the result of someone stealing something like my car, etc. Those officers were polite but ultimately not too useful since none of the property was ever recovered.

There are bad cops, even they will agree, and they get a lot of PR. They are also human which is why some do go bad. But being human means that they too have bad days and sometimes they take it out on citizens. If said citizen gives them a ration of lip.....well don't be surprised at the outcome. I suspect also that dealing with the folks they have to, some get desensitized to the violence. Again it only takes a few to tarnish the better.

Some could use better weapons training. I compete in IPSC, the politically correct term for combat course, and the few deputies that have come to the range to compete were terrible. It's not the same as shooting at a stationary target. The level of training is, of course, dependent on the size and budget of the local police force.

In short, not all cops are bad. My problem, and the reason I fear them to some degree, is that I can't tell the good from the bad. If an officer approaches me I have no idea how I'll be treated. Against an individual I could claim self defense but that would never work against a LEO. I would totally be at the mercy of a stranger and I find that scary. There was a time when there was a regular cop on the beat, people got to know him and he got to know those he was protecting. Keeping in mind that it's been established that legally the police do not have an obligation to protect. I'm sure most would but they are not legally obligated. I'm fond of the expression "when seconds count the police will be there in minutes".

Still, as I started, a human life has been lost that perhaps might have been prevented. May he rest in peace but I doubt that there any words of comfort for his family. I find it sad, and perhaps a statement on our culture, that there are so many hate filled posts here that are totally unrelated to the actual event.

March 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rich

Good thing the shooter was a cop. If they had been a mere citizen, this kind of "accident" can get you into real trouble. As it is, the shooter probably won't even be punished other than some blot on their record.

March 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Johnny

Looks like their trigger happy actions shot one of their own this time. What goes around comes around can't say I feel bad for them in any way.

March 13, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The Bacon Chief

All the stupid pigs should have die rip to the other guy

March 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |