The day's most popular stories
Actor and comedian Gilbert Gottfried was fired by Aflac after tweeting jokes about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
March 15th, 2011

The day's most popular stories

The five most popular stories on CNN.com in the past 24 hours, according to NewsPulse:

New fire at Japan nuclear plant: A fire was discovered Wednesday in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the latest in a series of setbacks at the stricken plant that has heightened fears that the incidents could lead to widespread radiation contamination.

Nuclear fears grow amid deaths in Japan: Wednesday broke in Japan with news of a new blaze at the damaged nuclear plant that crews have struggled to control since last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami, adding to radiation fears in a country racing to avoid a full-on nuclear crisis.

Gottfried fired as voice of Aflac duck: The Aflac duck lost its voice Monday after the insurance giant fired the comedian behind the commercial quack for tweeting jokes about the earthquake and tsunami that have devastated Japan.

New blast, fire fuel nuclear fears: Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan said Tuesday the risk of further releases of radioactive material remains "very high," as crews struggle to contain an increasingly critical crisis at a damaged nuclear plant.

Cocaine found at Kennedy Space Center: NASA's Inspector General's Office says an investigation is under way after a white powdery substance found at the Kennedy Space Center tested positive for cocaine.

Post by:
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Japan • Most Popular
  1. Mmmmm

c'mon aflac, what do you expect from a comedian? It is what they do! Find humor in dark moments that make people laugh!

March 16, 2011 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. tomcat

@Mmmmmm.....do you find humor in death , destruction and despair? Spend a day/ night in a trauma center, better yet...do a "ride along" with Fire, EMS or PD. Yeah, real humorous....

March 16, 2011 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Jacques

Thank you TOMCAT, for you comments.

March 16, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Look tomcat, some people sweat when they ate nervous others laugh. Is that funny? The jest of the trade isn't death or tragedy or finding it in itself amusing but if the sunlight breaks through a thunderstorm cloud I call it funny. People do tell jokes at the wake! And do laugh at the repast after the funeral...so stop being aflac's drama queen.

March 16, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chillaxin

Actually, having worked ICU, CVICU, and ER, dark humor is not intended as disrespect, but rather as a stress-reliever... The humor there CAN be quite dark, and quite humorous. Now, would you like another chocolate-bar and soda pop Mr. Gimpie, since you are refusin' your insulin shot tonight for you F.S. of 325?

March 16, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. raven

As my wise ole granny usta say : Its only funny when EVERYONE is laughing . I realise that not everyone shares the same sense of humor but Im not so sure any of those poor,displaced people find these jokes anything but callous at best . I couldnt stand Gilbert Gottfried before because his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. And thats aside from the fact that he screams and screeches his cheesey jokes. Now I dislike him even more after reading his tasteless and ugly attempt to make light of the devastation these people are living .

March 16, 2011 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Col. Bat Guano

Jesus H. Christ, lighten up!

March 16, 2011 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

Hi raven. What are we doing up? he he...good to see you. And I agree, Gildert Gottfried does sound like chalkboard nails. He's probably just catering to his fanbase...if sounding like that and having one are possible.

March 16, 2011 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Col. Bat Guano

Jesus H. Christ, lighten up! None of us are getting out of this alive, anyway. Nothing is sacred.

March 16, 2011 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. heidi ho

Yeah Gilbert is a comedian. I dont find him funny at all and never have. But even the best comedians know when to stop. what he said was in extreme poor taste. And that Aflac spot was cushy. WAS. Shame on him and anyone who thought his jokes were funny. Tragedy and death and destruction are never funny.

March 16, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

heidi ho? really? No, not what you posted. Your name. Really?

March 16, 2011 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Hay tomcat! I didn't see your post until now. How ya been? I'm up with a cold. (shrug) Good to see yoiu again.

March 16, 2011 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Gilbert Gottfried

Why is everyone up so early! Let's all go back to sleep under a tent at the beach! Bring out the sun tan! I get to be by raven! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR! EASTER!

March 16, 2011 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

I want my eggs polka dot blue with a splash of purple...

March 16, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Psychotic Episode

Well...was kinda hoping tomcat and raven were still here. (sniffle)

March 16, 2011 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. Psychotic Episode

Is that how you spell 'psychotic'? he he

March 16, 2011 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. raven

Hey Philip! And Tomcat!!and Gilbert, the beach sounds like a way cool idea,you can hang by me if you promise not to yell . And COL. if that was directed at me,youre not the bossa me,so neener,neener,neener.

March 16, 2011 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. raven

Hey Philip,just noticed you gotta cold,me too. Kinda gross but I just tried some otc remedy where you stick a gigantic qtip up your schnoz yesterday. its wierd cuz i normally dont buy into that kinda stuff but i DO feel better today .dunno if it worked or my cold ran its course.

March 16, 2011 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |