The day's most popular stories
Actor and comedian Gilbert Gottfried was fired by Aflac after tweeting jokes about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
March 15th, 2011

The day's most popular stories

The five most popular stories on CNN.com in the past 24 hours, according to NewsPulse:

New fire at Japan nuclear plant: A fire was discovered Wednesday in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the latest in a series of setbacks at the stricken plant that has heightened fears that the incidents could lead to widespread radiation contamination.

Nuclear fears grow amid deaths in Japan: Wednesday broke in Japan with news of a new blaze at the damaged nuclear plant that crews have struggled to control since last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami, adding to radiation fears in a country racing to avoid a full-on nuclear crisis.

Gottfried fired as voice of Aflac duck: The Aflac duck lost its voice Monday after the insurance giant fired the comedian behind the commercial quack for tweeting jokes about the earthquake and tsunami that have devastated Japan.

New blast, fire fuel nuclear fears: Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan said Tuesday the risk of further releases of radioactive material remains "very high," as crews struggle to contain an increasingly critical crisis at a damaged nuclear plant.

Cocaine found at Kennedy Space Center: NASA's Inspector General's Office says an investigation is under way after a white powdery substance found at the Kennedy Space Center tested positive for cocaine.

Post by:
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Japan • Most Popular
  1. Philip

Hay raven. You still here?

March 16, 2011 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Roger that, Philip! Im here . Im a niteowl. I been readin the blogs every night but havent posted in a week or so . I got sicka that guy hijackin everyones name so i just kinda birddogged without sayin much .how ya been?

March 16, 2011 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

When I get a cold, I drink lots of OJ and get plenty of rest. Works every time, for decades. I've never heard of the Qtip schnoz thingy.

March 16, 2011 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jason

I wonder if the radiation will come back as rain acid. How much can those. poor people take. Will sea salt and tuna now have radiation.

March 16, 2011 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Been good raven. And me too! (birddogging) I do miss it all though...I mean before the trolls came along.

March 16, 2011 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Jason,i wondered that too but was embarrassed to ask. Also,i wondered if the salt in the seawater theyre using as coolant would corrode the metal and/or building?? Philip? You always seem to have a handle on the topic being discussed. Whats your take ?

March 16, 2011 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

I especially miss when you go "(ahem)" lol

March 16, 2011 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. raven

Also, Ive wondered for a long time now: when people say Jesus *H* Christ

March 16, 2011 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. raven

Also, Ive wondered for a long time now: when people say Jesus *H* Christ....what does the *H* stand for ??

March 16, 2011 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

No, the seawater would have no effect on the containment dome as far as corrosion is concerned.. Typical domes have 3-6 foot thick walls with rebar the size of my arm. The danger with using water to cool-down an overheated reactor is that the hydrogen in the water could seperate and explode, compromising the dome. Those domes look impressive, yet are not strong enough to withstand even 100 psi of pressure, nor could they withstand a direct hit from an airliner.

March 16, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jason

That's good news philip. Raven I think h stands for holy.

March 16, 2011 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. raven

I miss everyone here too . You, Ruffnutt, Banasy, Cesar, Tomcat, ThomasD, I even kinda miss crazy ole Jim Brieske in a morbid,masochistic way . Seems like everyone just kinda faded away .

March 16, 2011 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

He he...I was gonna ask about the "H" too! It's one of those things I've never looked in to. I'm thinking it's just a way of getting around 'using the lord's name in vain'.

March 16, 2011 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. raven

I thoughta holy too...oh well...(sigh) thanks Philip, and what about acid rain and the sea salt/sea food. I read that their fish is already compromised from mercury ,i can only imagine how people are gonna react to THIS compounded by the mercury thing.

March 16, 2011 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

I keep in touch with ThomasD on Facebook. banasy too. (her real name is Donna, but don't tell her I said so. he he)

March 16, 2011 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |