Four N.Y. Times journalists missing in Libya
A two-time Pulitzer Prize winner is among the four New York Times journalists missing in Libya.
March 16th, 2011

Four N.Y. Times journalists missing in Libya

Four journalists for The New York Times are missing in Libya, the newspaper said Wednesday on its website.

The Times said the missing journalists are Anthony Shadid, the paper's Beirut bureau chief and two-time Pulitzer Prize winner; Stephen Farrell, a reporter and videographer who was kidnapped by the Taliban in 2009 and rescued by British commandos; and two photographers, Tyler Hicks and Lynsey Addario.

"We have talked with officials of the Libyan government in Tripoli, and they tell us they are attempting to ascertain the whereabouts of our journalists," executive editor Bill Keller said. "We are grateful to the Libyan government for their assurance that if our journalists were captured they would be released promptly and unharmed."

Post by:
Filed under: Libya • Media
  1. Denny

Maybe we don't need to know so much about other peoples affairs all the time so the news media should keep their noses outta there and this would not happend.

March 16, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe - Providence

The real enemy to us all is a media that has lost its objectivity, a citizenry who fail to question what, where and why and a government that takes advantage of 1st two. All you people talking about Libya haven’t got a clue. It’s not about repression it is strictly personal. The media and our government as well as so many other “states” are siding with the “peaceful demonstrators” is because they hate the guy at the top. Question: Why? Answer: research it. Our government, media and just about everyone else is more than happy seeing people living in complete oppression and abject poverty (look at two examples of the worst in the world: Saudi Arabia and Somalia) it doesn’t keep a single person awake at night knowing we sit back and allow children starve or that folks in Arabia have no rights and get beheaded in the street so long as we can still buy and sell stuff from them. So the main problem cannot possibly be that we are standing for democracy and protecting poor civilians. Keep being suckers everyone you are all leading us down the tubes.

March 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

Thank you,Joe. That was very well stated. That's the reason I keep referring to the media as being right-wing since they did lose their objectivity.

March 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. a bit scared

The fire alarm is going off in my building. What should I do?

March 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • a Fireman

Stay where you are and ignore it. Those things go off accidentally all the time.

March 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tankrothchild

Four CIA operatives captured in Libya. So Qaddafi wasn't lying about the whole "outside foreign influences." neat.

March 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hotepk

African before muslim, putting him at odds w/ many Libyan Arabs who despise Blacks and prefer to align w/ Europeans-even though Europeans do not like Arabs...Ghaddafi champions the concept of Libya being created by Black men which wins him support in sub-Saharan Africa and the enmity of the white man and the Arabs...Moors, Black Americans and other supportes of the African diaspora in America need to support the aims of Ghaddafi-the great Kwame Ture extolled the virtues of Ghaddafi for helping the asperations of Africans...

March 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hotepk

Ghaddafi provides housing and a high standard of living compared to most African states...Ghaddafi considers himself African before muslim, putting him at odds w/ many Libyan Arabs who despise Blacks and prefer to align w/ Europeans-even though Europeans do not like Arabs...Ghaddafi champions the concept of Libya being created by Black men which wins him support in sub-Saharan Africa and the enmity of the white man and the Arabs...Moors, Black Americans and other supportes of the African diaspora in America need to support the aims of Ghaddafi-the great Kwame Ture extolled the virtues of Ghaddafi for helping the aspirations of many Africans...

March 16, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe - Providence

He is a brutal dictator, let be clear about that. But so are so many other leaders out there. Look at the whole middle east – every one of these phony kingdoms are just as brutal and oppressive as either Libya, Iran or our old poster boy for dictatorships S. Korea. We shouldn’t get involved with Libya because we have a moral obligation to call on the end of those brutal dictators we love so much to step down and open their countries to freedom and suffrage. After that we can climb on our high horse.

March 16, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hemp22

I don't feel bad for these idiots that go into a war zone not to report the atrocities but for there own freaking glory.
    An d that is all that Anderson Cooper and all the rest are looking for is fame.

March 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BuzzerKiller

I think it's time we take a squadron of stealth bombers and carpet Gadhafi. He's getting dangerous and is a menace to society.

March 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gyno_American

Dude, we only have 20 B2s in service. Why waste B2's on his sorry butt?

March 16, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. WallyinNYC

The Western Media do STUPID things – go STUPIDLY into HARM – and expect sane care – – STUPID – – the Western Media do NOTHING but reinforce HARM – – they should STAY OUT of HARM – – let nature take its own toll –

March 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

And the Western Media is completely biased.

March 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Zeta

Ok, hotepk, you've said it three times already!

March 16, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

Nobody likes me, yet I speak like people take my words as gospel. Oh sanctus dominus communisto manifesto.. Yo nessicito ninos para mi huevos.. Mas papas fritos.. Por favor. Mi gusta ninos. Just saying... Communist media is better trust me folks my name is Cesar after all. Would someone named Cesar lie? 😉

March 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

Aqui es el Muchacho Gracioso(Phunnie boy) embaucandome en espanol tambien. !Este payaso nunca cesa!

March 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

Hey phunny boy! All media is biased and skewed including communist media!

March 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. me

Shoulda kept ur liberal idiots in new york now they are rotting in the north african desert

March 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cesar

Sorry folks, I didn't post the above. Some jerk keeps using my name to discredit me. Hey Sillie Boy, you know better then that. Cut it out will you! You are so far to the left that my eyeballs don't swing that far.

March 16, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

No,Phunnie boy. You're just that far to the right. You see how biased the right-wing news media is,don't you???

March 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jazz7

Cesar , I just read the 33 killed blog and when you start talking to this sleez using my name let me know my cell # is 585-545-1090 text me. I have more than a few words for his sorry BUTT. I would never say those things to anyone and I am believe it or not a good women , NOT the dirty sum he is portraying

March 16, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

So you're saying that you're not a foul-speaking,anti-intellectual Tea Partier,Jazz7. Neither am I. Just ignore those who are.

March 16, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |