New Russian law protects sleeping bears from being hunted in dens, group says
The "rules of the hunt" law prevents Asiatic black bears from being hunted during winter months, when they hibernate.
March 16th, 2011

New Russian law protects sleeping bears from being hunted in dens, group says

Hunters in Russia will no longer be allowed to rouse hibernating bears  from their dens and shoot them under new legislation enacted Wednesday, according to an animal rights group.

The winter den hunt left bear cubs orphaned, often resulting in their deaths, said the International Fund for Animal Welfare, which has been campaigning to end the practice since 1995.

The new law reduces the hunting season for brown bears and Asiatic black bears and excludes the winter season, when the animals are hibernating in dens, the group said Wednesday. Under the new law, it is also illegal to hunt cubs less than a year old and females with cubs under one year.

"The 'rules of the hunt' legislation is a tremendous step forward for animal welfare in Russia and reflects the opinion of the Russian people that bears should be protected from this sort of hunting," said Maria Vorontsova, director of IFAW Russia.

To date, the group says it has successfully released more than 150 cubs from its rehabilitation center in Bubonitsy, Tver region.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Bears • Russia
  1. Spock

You tell Banasy about our conversation, I'm not a bad person, on the contrary, you'll be amazed, so don't worry about it anymore, I apologize to you and to Banasy

March 17, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. Spock

@banasy and raven.. I'm not talking to both of you unless you call me.

March 17, 2011 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. raven

Well when Banasy reads the posts shell know who is responsible. And that YOU took it another level,so there IS no argument . You say youre really a nice person,yet you stoop to TRY to blackmail and coerce people into talking to you ? Yeah,real charming .

March 17, 2011 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

I read more than I post. When Philip let the cat out of the bag about banasy's true name, he did NOT do it out of malice. Sometimes we error. He trusts raven. But what you are doing, Spock, is truly spitfull, mean, ugly. You are trying to use your knowledge to hurt people. You do not respect people's privacy. You are worse than a troll.

March 17, 2011 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

@Spock: I suppose you do it cuz you feel that you have an edge over people. There is a pyschological term that scientists use for it. It is called being an as*/hole.

March 17, 2011 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

@Spock:" Part of the blame?" Ha, 100% of the blame goes to you. You're the one that is using your ounce of knowledge to elicit a response from people. You're the one that keeps bringing it up. Is your life so lonely and pathetic that this is the only way you get attention? You disgusting PIG.

March 17, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

@raven: You have to talk to Spock, the lonely loser, or he will "post your I'd's" How pathetic is that?

March 17, 2011 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. Cesar

Spock is a PIG. Spock is a PIG. Spock is a PIG. Spock is a PIG.

March 17, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

@Spock: You are of low character. I guess in runs in your family-cheap gene pool.

March 17, 2011 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Well, I dunno what his trip is or what his motives are, i just dont want Banasy to be upset with me or Philip . and with so many peoples names gettin hijacked its gettin to the point where i rarely post anymore . Thanks for tryin ta set him straight but i doubt hell stop .

March 17, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

@raven: Who ever he or she is, this individual will not get set straight. He/she enjoys it and feels a false sense of power. I'm sure you will handle it well. I guess I just get annoyed at people like that so I butted in. Can't help it.

March 17, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. raven

I didnt think you were butting in . and its a public forum so youre welcome ta step in any time. I appreciate your help! and I think youre probably right :just some lonely kid who got kicked out of his dungeons and dragons game for takin it a lil too far.

March 17, 2011 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cesar

@raven: There goes that raven humor and witt again. "Got kicked out of his dungeon and dragons game." LOL!

March 17, 2011 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Spock

@Cesar...@Raven... As I promised I'm not posting your ids anymore, raven you doubt that I will stop? You don't know me and Cesar I already apologized so don't call me names. Cesar don't aggravate things, let's just leave it there. Again sorry Raven

March 17, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |