WWI German U-boat found sunk off Netherlands
A German U-boat of the same era as this one, photographed in 1916, has been found off the coast of the Netherlands.
March 16th, 2011

WWI German U-boat found sunk off Netherlands

Dutch researchers found the wreck of a World War I German submarine in 2009 but kept the discovery secret until this week, Radio Netherlands Worldwide reported.

The crew of the research ship HNLMS Snellius hoped they'd found a Dutch submarine that disappeared in 1940, but the vessel turned out to be much older. A brass plate indicated the sub was the German U-106, which sank during World War I, the radio report said.

The announcement of the discovery was delayed while German officials confirmed the sub's identity and sought out relatives of crew members, according to the radio report.

A Dutch navy spokesman told Radio Netherlands the U-boat would not be raised but would be designated a war memorial.

Post by:
Filed under: Germany • History • Military • Netherlands • War
  1. Regnad Kcin

Does this mean you're a liberal, tankrothcild?

March 16, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Exyi

NO POLITICS ALLOWED !!!!

or any political dissussion

March 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mobrule

unless I missed the comment, not sure how this came up, but you're right, the media and the left are obsessed with her. if they would stop, we could be rid of her by now.

March 16, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. lolsatyou

Folks, I think those that made the "ignorant" remarks were trying to instigate a flaming thread, hence the one post "good morning lemmings". Don't play into their juvenile games, they're just sitting there with their friends laughing at the responses. Just be happy for the family of those brave souls and that they finally have some closure.

March 16, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jbax3

At the first sign of a budget crisis Republicans slash education. Amazingly, the folks that make these historically ignorant comments (Nazis in WWI?, a Jon Bon Jovi sub movie being a history lesson?) are the product of the American public educational system when it was fully funded... now imagine the ignorance of the next generation of kids...

March 16, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. MRGRK

Very cool. it's always interesting reading about history.

March 16, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. hux

They shhould have shot the S O B when they had a chance . the saame to IRAN .

March 16, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. ...

The majority of these posts here are pointing out the same thing, over and over. I think the message has been sent. Then, others are stating the "stupidity" of the comments in general. Hmm... Some are just being snarky, but I think that may be going over the heads of some.

March 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tiredoldman

After 100 years under water there is probably not a lot left of the sub. I remember seeing a WWII that was sunk of Americas coast in the gulf. It had pretty much rusted away. Remember there wasn't any thick armor on a sub. I agree leave it rest on the bottom. Sailors are buried at sea.

AS for the idiots here that don't know the differences between WWI WWII may I assume that you are as ignorant about current world happenings? Please do us all a favor. DON'T VOTE.

March 16, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hank

I know nothing..I see nothing

March 16, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Wobh

I remember reading a story about a German who had immigrated to the US in the 1950s. He applied to join the American Legion and when asked what service and unit he had served in he reported a German army unit. The Legion said he couldn't join because he had been the enemy. He replied "No I wasn't, you were"

He was allowed to join.

It's ironic that expressing Nazi sentiments is now illegal in Germany but there are a number of self proclaimed Nazis right here in the USA among the white supremicist movement.... they hide behind the Consitiutuon to spread their hate. Veterans of WW2 fought to defend rights that would one day protect the very dogma that they were fighting. It's a sick world

March 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • standingwave

What gets me is how they idolize Hitler.Sure the guy must have had almost supernatural charisma but boy he made a lot of mistakes.In the end he was just a hateful loser with a grasp of public speaking.

March 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Center right

I love how you guys can turn anything into an argument. Even a part of history that happened 71 yrs ago, keep up the good work and with your undecisive whos smarter than who on history bickering, and a Rep. will be the president in 2012. Let it go noboddy cares about Nazi vs. German. You all are soo upset at what your goverment has done that you bring it to every issue. God Bless and vote Right!!!

March 16, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jim

There arent many Jews in the Nethjerlands.
    Why were the Nazi's hunting Jews in the netherlands in WW1?
    I teach History. I never heard that before.

March 16, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Do you really teach history? Better go back to school, there were no Nazi's hunting jews in WWI because there wasn't even a Nazi party in WWI! I hope to god my kids dont have a stupid teacher like you.

March 16, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. this sucks

My G-Grandfather was on a U-Boat in WWI... wonder if one of the folks in the picture could be him?

March 16, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dave

Hats off?! My great grandfather (Percy Dean) was awarded the VC (Victoria Cross) for fighting against the WWI german u-boats. They did just the same thing in WWI as WWII – sink defenseless merchant marine ships. This form of warfare was only one degree apart from terrorism.

March 16, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • paulk

So the US committed terrorism when it participated in unrestricted sub warfare in the Pacific?

March 16, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Defenseless Merchant ships like the Lusitania that were bringing weapons/bombs to the Allies in Europe? We (The Americans) were warned, and then punished for our help... We chose to get involved, and paid the price. When you aid a country's enemy, you become the enemy of that country. Same is true today. Afghanistan/Taliban was attacked because it aided Terrorism, our enemy... It was all fair game in war, they were doing their jobs. I love my country but also understand how war works...

March 16, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Get a life

Allot of ignorant comments here , i swear anytime someone says German there is always someone saying Nazi , no grasp of history at all

March 16, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |