Four Navy officers get letters of censure over lewd video
March 18th, 2011

Four Navy officers get letters of censure over lewd video

The secretary of the Navy has issued letters of censure to Capt. Owen Honors and three other officers involved in the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise lewd video scandal, Navy spokesman Capt. Danny Hernandez said.

The letters effectively end the officers careers, as they will prevent promotion. The letters cannot be appealed.

Honors created the videos and was second-in-command on the Enterprise at the time. Others receiving censure were his successor, Capt. John Dixon, and former Enterprise commanders Rear Adm. Larry Rice and Rear Adm. Ron Horton.

Post by:
Filed under: Military • U.S. Navy
  1. Cesar

I miss Mary from NY.

March 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazz7

Ok Cesar what's up why do you miss me sooo much

March 18, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marge

So glad to see my tax dollars going to making lewd videos. Thanks, Obama.

March 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Victory203

This happened (the initiative) before Obama. Get an education and lose a bit of the misplaced anger.

March 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAPT SAVAHO

Marge, get over your amnesia. This happened between the years 2005-2007. What were you going to say, "I didn't know, I just wanted to post something like I was smart." LOL

March 22, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hilo, HI

Glad they were bounced.
    Too many problems in this "Good Ole Boys' network to begin with, now add 'female sailors in the showers' parodies, and gay bashing like that's OK? They are too well cared for by tax payers to have risked embarrassing the country and their branch this way, not to mention the example they set.
    Didn't they learn from past scandals? Seems more they were bounced for being stupid and arrogant.

March 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mark

I don't see a letter of censure for ADM Roughead, the Chief of Naval Operations. A lot of stupid things have happened on his watch, yet he still gets to be the CNO and hasn't had his promotion pulled or anything. Typical senior Naval leadership...or should I say lack thereof.

March 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Laura

Letter of Censure?That's it?The letter may end their chance for advancement but they will still be able to get a full (and cushy)retirement from the Navy.What a joke!!!!

March 18, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ally Buster

As master and commander, he sets a tone. There was a way to engage the men with wit and humor that didn't belittle particular groups of people. If he was going to employ this technique, he automatically earned the responsibility to abide by a certain standard of behavior. He didn't, so now he can go operate a ferry boat somewhere.

Or perhaps work in the gift shop at West Point.....

March 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bigsk8fan

from my military friends, this appears to be an expected form of punishment.

March 18, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. herrsonic

The last two guys, the admirals, were at the end of their careers anyhow. Probably about to get their pension anytime soon. First two guys shouldn't have done what they did, but got thrown under a bus. The military is becoming more and more politically correct which is really not a bad thing and is a reflection of what society wants anyhow.

March 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. FatNavyGeek

Bleepin Navy

What do you call 100 sailors out to sea when they return to port...50 couples : )

These officer's careers are over, but will still be bringing home around $100K a month when they retire...not bad for a bunch of squids. I would take that punishment, but then again, I am not a flag officer.

March 18, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Name*quent

It's to funny

March 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ed

Come on people – a LOT worse things are seen on TV – regular TV... GIve me a break.. we as a nation have gotten so uptight about the wrong things... this was made for sailors – havent you ever heard the term – mouth like a sailor? we have become too sensitive... I bet he was probably one of the best XO's out there and because someone got their feelings hurt or were in some way offended – he lost his career... most likely it was someone who got punished and wanted to "pay him back" – how ludicrous... wake up and be adults... nothing I saw in that video would make me go crying to someone about being offended – it was actually pretty funny.. i was kinda hoping to see more skin..

March 18, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Baloney

Most likely, someone didn't like him, or had received some sort of NJP and reported it as payback.

March 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sweatpea

The punishment was too severe. These videos were good natured and entertaining. People cannot be expected to perform like machines and young people were involved. I would have thought demotion, sensitivity and protocol training would have been enough. When the Mercedes breaks down you have it fixed and not sent to the compactor.

March 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Baloney

Funny...these guys are getting censured, yet I could turn on AFN and watch an episode of Family Guy and see much, much, worse...True, this was not professional, but these guys were attempting to entertain their crew. As officers, they have a responsibility to increase/boost their sailors morale. If you aren't entertained by it, tune it out...we can't please everyone. Shame on everyone for taking things so seriously.

March 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Thomas

I don't know.
    I saw the tapes. I heard and read the story. Certainly, there was a childish, undisciplined and ultimately dangerous culture going on with that command structure. It was observed, corrected. Finally, punishment was metered out much to the approval of some and disapproval of others.
    There is no "but" here. I will add, of course, that I find the whole big mess (including my comments and the other as well) an interesting look at human natural.
    In the distance past, troops; warrior;' mercenaries; and soldiers were far from the dedicated, loyal, educated and generally civil individuals that you will find in today's Armed Forces personal. Whether ancient China or Middle-Ages Europe, the very solders that "protected" the community, often harshly treated the common folk. How far we have come in demanding not only highly-trained killers to safeguard our pleasant lifestyle but that they maintain a level of behavior that most us common folk could not carry out.

March 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

Hi Jazz7: Why do you keep changing your name from Jazz to Jazz7??

March 18, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazz7

Cause , some one used my name so I thought for everyone's benefit that i would distingush myself as the real Jazz by adding my favorite number

March 19, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |