Four Navy officers get letters of censure over lewd video
March 18th, 2011

Four Navy officers get letters of censure over lewd video

The secretary of the Navy has issued letters of censure to Capt. Owen Honors and three other officers involved in the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise lewd video scandal, Navy spokesman Capt. Danny Hernandez said.

The letters effectively end the officers careers, as they will prevent promotion. The letters cannot be appealed.

Honors created the videos and was second-in-command on the Enterprise at the time. Others receiving censure were his successor, Capt. John Dixon, and former Enterprise commanders Rear Adm. Larry Rice and Rear Adm. Ron Horton.

Post by:
Filed under: Military • U.S. Navy
  1. tony

just a bunch guys jerking a round oh' forgot us navy not just a job , poor capt, over paid jerk' maybe he is gay?

March 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

@USSDummButt: I warned you! I am going to write you up and file it in your permanent record. That's it, career over!

March 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • IntheNavy

///////

March 18, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. wil

There is nothing wrong with retiring as a Captain from the Navy. The thing that hurts is that he was in line for Rear Admiral. The Rear Admiral was already "Flag Rank" and was in much better position, but all their jobs have changed now. The only thng I can't understand is, how do you put an admiral on a small island counting blankets, until his retirment date?

I am sorry their careers ended this way. It was all because some one got a hair up some part of their body because of new policy.

March 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bill tyrrell

tony, one of my first thoughts when this broke was "maybe HE is gay" as he goes out of his way to disparage gay people..... Sometimes the loudest is the most GUILTY.... 🙂

March 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

Read about it elsewhere and you'll find it wasn't so much over the content of the videos. They'd been told to stop making them. They'd been counseled about them. Yet, they still continued creating and airing them. And it wasn't just anti-gay jokes.

March 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. USSDumbbutt

All - that loser @ hidd made the same screen name as me .. but look at the name .. he has a upper case B in Butt .. I hav e alower case b in butt.

March 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

@Bill Tyrrell: OK, that's it. Insubordination, lack of respect for your commander. Latreen duty for you, and I am going to write you up too! That is all, go to your bunk with USSDumbutt!

March 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kelcy

The Letter of Censure is only a "big deal" so long as the promotion board members take is seriously. It is not a show stopper in of itself. If the Board Members feel any of these four were railroaded then they`ll just go ahead and recommend promotion anyway. Then it becomes a matter of record and whether or not their specific promotions are approved, whether they are redlined or even removed by Congress or the President. Anyone who was in the military can probably list individuals from all services that were promoted at least one more grade (even to or as generals and admirals) despite scandals..... some pretty bad.

March 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • USSDumbbutt

durka durka

March 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Back in World War II, perhaps these officers might be promoted with a letter of censure on their record. Today there are five or ten good officers for every command billet, and I guarantee that their careers (Capt Honors would have made Admiral after his tour on the Enterprise) are over.

March 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. USSDumbbutt

Cesar .. you still my home boy .....

March 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. James

Back at the Academy, a senior chief gave me a good rule of thumb for borderline behaviors; memories are forever but pictures are evidence. Captain Honors and others would have done well do remember that.

In closed settings around the squadron, I have seen some hilarious and utterly un-PC incidents, but nobody was ever dumb enough to film them.

March 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bill tyrrell

Ha Ha Ha.... The Navy doesn't have "latreens".... not funny you are (forgive the Yoda speak)

March 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bill tyrrell

James... WISE Senior Chief.... One of the foremost rules in EOD is: NO CAMERAS....... 'nuff said hoo yah!

March 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • USSDumbbutt

Yah just take some pics ...... that should get you through the night

March 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. IntheNavy

Hey .. where are all the w h i t e women at? what movie is that from?

March 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dan Halen

Although I did not see the videos, from the news reports I gathered that the true intent of these commanders was not to actually demean gays or women. All too common, people throw the gay joke out there, even times making fun of themselves, with no true intention of offending a gay person. I've been guilty of doing it myself to my straight friends and I'm gay, i.e., I tell them "how gay" something they did was. Unfortunately, those types of comments do offend some and I suspect that any gay or lesbian service members who saw the videos on the ship felt demeaned. This goes to show that even the brass in the Navy and other services need to wake up and smell the coffee.

March 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bill tyrrell

Well, this has been fun (not) and enlightening (hell no).... The smartest person on these posts is James... Hoo Yah Academy..... I took my job as a Master Chief seriously, my charter: Training and Mentoring Enlisted and Junior Officers.... I'm outta here..... virtually no intelligent conversation.... I'm not mentally stimulated by morons, cretins or idiots.... An old CO of mine once said: "If you argue with an idiot, you're an idiot".......

March 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • IntheNavy

so long loser ... we will miss you .. go play X-box in your room and wait for your mom to make your frozen pizza for dinner

March 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |