Sources: State of emergency declared in Yemen
Yemeni anti-government protesters mourn the deaths of their comrades, who were killed in clashes with security forces Friday in Sanaa.
March 18th, 2011

Sources: State of emergency declared in Yemen

The president of Yemen announced Friday that a state of emergency has been declared in his country, according to two sources.

The declaration comes after at least 33 people were killed and more than 100 injured Friday in clashes between anti-government protesters and security forces in Yemen, medical officials said.

Yemen has been wracked by weeks of unrest, with thousands protesting the government of President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

High unemployment has fueled much of the anger among a growing young population steeped in poverty. The protesters also cite government corruption and a lack of political freedom.

Post by:
Filed under: World • Yemen
  1. lool

What? Their Quran isn't helping? What a shock.

March 18, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Yep

Where is the UN resolution against the Yemeni govt.?

March 18, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

That's a very good question,Yep. I assume that it's because nobody got bribed at the U.N.

March 18, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • abdullah

this criminal ali saleh, will die soon i'm from yemen

March 18, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar

While all these idiots here are shedding their alligator tears over what Mohammar Qadaffi is doing to the Libyan people,this creep Ali Abdullah Saleh is butchering the Yemeni people and yet nobody gives a damn! I guess that's because he's a stooge for the right-wing thugs in Washington!!!

March 18, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Marchjm

Yeah.... only the right wing huh? Our executive branch is currently right wing?? Senate?

March 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Big Game James

Why must the USA be automatically drafted the world police? When you leave your country for a new life in another don't expect the new country to solve the old one's problems! Obama has a full plate as it is! Power to the people also means gaining the power to take care of your own!

March 18, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. Planet X

Israel is becoming a nation. http://nopolicestate.blogspot.com/2011/01/egypt-29.html

March 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • JaZZ7

I can see your head spinning personny , you need to sleep now , close your eyes and all the bad ppl will go away

March 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

I miss my Mary from NY. I want to get to know her.

March 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

I am sorry about the 33 deaths, my sympathies. Now, please don't tell me the USA is going to send financial aid. We are a poor country and in the red. Come on, Uncle Sam, don't aid a country of millionaires, stupid!

March 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Right wing thug g note killah

I will claim ignorance on the social/political landscape in Yemen, but I would agree that sending $ to any country will not yield the desired result. Maybe if we focus on one problem at a time instead of spreading insufficient aid all over the globe?

March 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. meee

Awww the poor lil boys n girls who are too stupid to get jobs throwing a tantrum?? kill em all!!

March 18, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • USAF

Your comment here,meee is not even funny. It is sick. You must be on something to make that king of statement!

March 18, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

@meee and USAF: Marsh Mellow pie in your face. @The person that posts after me: You are a rotten egg!!!

March 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bbarc

GOD BLESS YOU ALL! Prayer is the only answer for what is going on in this world!

March 18, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

Truth be told I like men too, so I let Mary get pumped full of creamy filling and indulge in a nice cream pie. Best of both worlds for me. 😉 Thanks Mar bear! You complete me.

March 18, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazz7

your physco, I am not that kind of women and which one are u? the TEA-PARTYING ANTI – AMERICAN GOVERNMENT slob

March 18, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Me

@bbarc: Really you won't find a more spiritual guy than me but prayer only works when accompanied by actions. I'm convinced God (the real one, not Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha or Ron L Hubbard) Wants us to match rhetoric and prayer with actions.

March 18, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cesar

Sorry I'm drunk again just kidding forgive? You know daddy hates tea

March 18, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazz7

which one are u

March 19, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Jazz7

Your drunk but I'm not , go to sleep

March 19, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rex

cost of living was low back in 1930 thru the mid 60's. Now that there is so much technology and overhead,it is getting expensive to do anything. We should give help to Yemen by giving them tools for the future and with so much corruption in Yemen for years they cant even fathem the past in order to make things right.

March 19, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |