AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA
March 20th, 2011

AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA

AT&T will acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom for an estimated $39 billion, the companies said in a joint release Sunday.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy
  1. VALENTINO

Oh god no.
    Tmobile is the last service left with decent plans and rates.

March 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • melissa

I agree. I guess I'm going to lose my unlimited data if I buy a new phone.

March 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I have one word for you SPRINT. I switched from ATT 8 years ago and I have had no problems at all. Their rates are much better then anyone else no extra charge for smart phones either. No I dont work for Sprint.......

March 20, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandi

@Melissa, I have AT&T and I have unlimited Data on my smart phone. Don't know why you'd think you're going to lose that. It's not something I was grandfathered into either, seeing as how I just split my contract from my exes and signed my own contract, a brand new one. I get unlimited texts and data for $30 a month. I'm online with it all the time.

March 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • VALENTINO

@Dan i had sprint, it was my first choice, i was paying 109 a month for an unlimited talk text and data plan, which tmobile offers for half the price almost, with the same quality as far as southern california goes. PLUS sprint gave me customer service headaches, and tmobiles never given me a problem now that might all change

March 20, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessa

@Brandi- Unfortunately you were either grandfathered in, or you do not have a smartphone. More than likely it's a quick messaging phone. The message+data feature that you describe sounds a LOT like the features offered for quick messaging. What device do you have???

@ Melissa- AT&T normally works with customers of the company their acquiring to offer them similar if not the same features they currently have. If there's one thing I've learned it's that nothing ever stays the same. I'm sure they will be offering new plans/features within the near(6 months-1year) future

March 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • rcar

AT&T purchased T-Mobile for their customer service and the 13 JD Power awards they have rec'd.

March 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emanuel

Awww man this stinks. Unlimited data plan and free tethering goodbye . Screw you T-Mobile for selling us out.

March 22, 2011 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. DIONYSOS

Definitely a victory for the dark side of the Force.

March 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Zeb

Nooooooo. For years I've been wearing AT&T about their dropped calls and dead zones in the big cities. Now Tmobile is gonna be part of it. This sucks. Anyhoo, lets see what happens. Think I'm gonna see a verison dealer today about their plans.

March 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • ameerah773

For all the TMobile customers complaining about AT&T's service you should know that TMobile has been using AT&T towers for years. This deal makes sense.

March 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emanuel

Ameerah definitely sounds like she works for AT&T lol. I have friends that have had AT&T for years, and I myself and another group of friends have had T-Mobile for years. There is a difference. I don't know what technically is the difference, but we don't get dropped calls like our AT&T counterparts. AT&T just has cooler phones, but I'd rather have service that works correctly at a better bargain than have an Iphone or BB Torch.

March 22, 2011 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ray

This should not be allowed. This will make all powerful AT&T even stronger.This deal give AT&T extraordinary power over its subscribers and suppliers alike. Hope its blocked by FCC and Congress. If it monopoly it will create OLIGOPOLY and we all know consumers are biggest losers in such market conditions.

March 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Why wouldn't it? It's not a monopoly, there are several other carriers.

March 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • dogsayswoof

Good point Ray. Plus T-mobile users will now be supporting the Tea Party once At&t acquires the company. I'm dropping my T-mobile plan if the buy out is successful.

March 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Serge

I totally agree: it will not be any normal GSM company to escape from monopoly of trrrible AT&T. Therefore it must be declined by FCC and antymonopoly committee. Maybe we have to declare our protests against such a "monkey business".

March 22, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. Wally

How can this get approved? This means higher prices for consumers!

March 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • dogsayswoof

OK, lets think about this Wally, who is a major contributor to the republican party and the Tea Party? One guess. Here's a hint: starts with an A and ends with a T. Connect the dots and you've got your answer.

March 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

AT&T will donate to any party or politician that will give them what they want. The Tea parties are a grass roots effort that isn't a part of either major political party. The problem is we allow the government to create barriers to entry for companies willing to compete thus limiting consumer choice. That is the problem. Unfortunately the same government officials that create the barriers to entry are the ones that "approve" the mergers. More government regulation isn't the answer allowing more companies to freely compete is the answer. In this case it really sucks for me as my wife is a T-Mobile employee who really loves the company and the people she works with. That will all go away with the AT&T acquisition as AT&T does not need any T-Mobile employees as they have all of their own staff, call centers and stores. The current T-Mobile infrastructure is redundant and unneeded by AT&T so off with all of the 90,000 T-Mobile employees. That is the hardest thing for me.

March 21, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ray

This should not be allowed. This will make all powerful AT&T even stronger.This deal give AT&T extraordinary power over its subscribers and suppliers alike. Hope its blocked by FCC and Congress. If not monopoly, it will create OLIGOPOLY and we all know consumers are biggest losers in such market conditions.

March 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. haidar

the worst customer service is att while the best is the t mobile ....how will they be together?the t mobilers are the looooooosers in this for sure

March 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessa

Actually AT&T were ranked #2 by JD Powers topped only by Verizon(I think it was Verizon). I certainly understand that you're probably speaking from experience, and it doesn't surprise me that you say they have the worst seeing as how more than half of their cust. service call centers are actually contracted out to other agencies(who could care less about the customer). Actually AT&T cust. serv. reps. know how to treat their customers, and go above and beyond to help. The only thing I can see AT&T doing to better the cust experience would be to quit contracting out, and hire more internal employees.

March 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I've been happy with AT&T customer service

March 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madeline

@ Jessa tmobile was actually number one. I work for them and it is a huge deal, we have celebrations etc.

March 22, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. Disappointed T-Mobile Customer

Not happy since we paid AT&T $1200 to break our contract (poor signal and poor customer service) to move to T-Mobile.

March 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Twirly

Ouch. That really, really sucks. I mean, I guess you already know that.

March 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kitkat

I'm on Fuzion Mobile – $40 a month. Try something different if you're not happy with either company. I really like them.

March 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Conan

Hope the telephone plan won't change after acquisition.

March 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nolan

Ive worked for AT&T before when they have bought someone else, Change you plan to what you want it and DO NOT CHANGE IT, if you dont change it, you can keep what ever it is at now. unlim data, all that stuff, if you dont change it, they wont either.

March 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bryan

Looks like I will switch to verizon sooner than I thought. This makes me so mad. Goodnight sweet prince.

March 20, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

verizon= high prices, no customer service and tons of dropped calls.. even their commercials bring light to this there spokesperson travels the us trying to find a decent signal asking can you hear me now.. finally with the apple iphone he gets somebody that can hear him. .

March 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brandi

I love AT&T. They're always helpful when I have a problem, work with me when I'm having an issue paying the bill, and I've never had a dropped call with them, ever.

March 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessa

@Brandi- As a fellow AT&T customer it's nice to hear someone else doesn't have issues with them. Seems now days everyone only has negative to say!! Thanks for being a positive amongst all this negativity.

March 20, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindsey

I only had a couple dropped calls when I first started with AT&T and that was roughly 5-6 years ago. I haven't had any troubles with them in the last 4-5 years. And they've always worked with my uncle and our family with all our issues. As an actual AT&T customer, I've been extremely happy with them. and wouldn't want another carrier honestly. Don't believe all the rumors from other carrier users. It's just the rumor-mill.

March 23, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Herb

T-Mobile is awful, absolutely awful. They've invested almost nothing into their infrastructure, simply biding time and awaiting a buyout. Congrats AT&T, you just bought a massive turd.

March 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • jose

BS. T-Mobile is the best service I've ever had and I had AT&T before I switched. I hate AT&T. It has horrible rates, customer service, and data limits. Are you kidding? I guess I will just have to switch to Verizon when my contract is over.

March 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Twirly

It's been painfully obvious that they've known this – or something similar – was coming. They've been blatantly ignoring pressing issues and all of a sudden completely ignoring any semblance of customer service. I've been with them for about 10 years, since the Voicestream days, and the drop in quality over the last 6 months has been unmistakable. This makes perfect sense. But I love love love my phone, and no one else has it and I don't want to change it. 🙁

March 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sonny

T-Mobile was a safe haven. Tim to move to Cricket.

March 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • LComeno

I've read thru the many posts before yours. The talk about switching from one company to another and the comments on which company is better than another, etc., all had one thing in common ... they only compared the companies which require you to sign a contract before allowing you to use their services.

I kept reading and shaking my head as I thought to myself, "Hasn't even one of these people heard of Cricket?"

That's when your post appeared and I found a fellow Cricket user who is saving a bundle each month, without a contract and getting great service to boot! I just got a 'droid, the Huawei Ascend and love it. Cricket's new $55 plan rocks too.

For those of you who haven't looked into Cricket before ... the $55 plan is Cricket's usual everything unlimited (voice, data, txt, etc), plus they now pay all Federal taxes and stuff, leaving you only your local taxes to pay in addition to the bill which is .. $55. LOL. My total bill the past 2 months has been $61.61.

I haven't seen any other cell company come close to Cricket's prices and contact free service. Please, before jumping into another contact, check out Cricket and see why I've been with them for the past 11 years. 🙂

March 20, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

@Lcomeno Cricket does not have moderate smartphones, and high powered is out. Cricket only services a small area. When I leave out of a certain area Im un reachable. Im talking about through data not voice. I use VOIP and email for most of my communication.

Cricket would be fine for a 15 year old who never leaves the area, but when you run web servers for a major logistics company cricket becomes a joke. Cricket has a total of 3 smartphones 1 outdated black berry, the LG Optimus C which by todays standards is worse than yesterdays smartphone, and the ascend antoher joke of an android phone. FYI crickets Unlimited Data is limited to 1gb if you have never read the small print. So every point you tried to make is mute.

There are only 2 choices for unlimited data text and voice in the US Sprint gives everything unlimited for 69; 79 for a smartphone like the HTC EVO, and Verizon which does not offer unlimited calls, and is going to limit data for the Iphone 5 in june.

Im glad cricket pays all your taxes, but I need a power phone; I am a power user. This merger will kill consumer choice. Least it wont affect me. I hope this brings ATT to its knees.

March 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

@LComeno I just wanted to point out I have 3 High end Smartphones on Sprint, and my bill is 170 for "True" Unlimited data. If you divide that by 3 that's $56.67 per phone. Its well worth the 1.67 more per phone to have the features that I get on Sprint compared to Cricket. Comparable services on Verizon and ATT would be well over 250, and one limits the data almost as bad as Cricket.

You can keep your inferior phones on a leased Sprint/Verizon network. I will stay where I can data roam all across the country for free at a reasonable price. Cricket has a long way to go, but they do have the potential.

March 20, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gman

First comes the acquisition and then in 6 months comes the layoffs at TMobile. Sad!

March 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zeb

I see the layoffs coming just in time for the summer vacation. This is a big loss for Tmobile employees and its customers.

March 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

You are sooo right. I used to work for Bellsouth, and when AT&T bought us out, in 6 months I was laid off. They only care about the numbers.

March 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • PTG

I agree AT&T will fire all the good workers at T-mobile and hire there uneducated useless family members !. AT&T will screw all t-mobile customers. "watch"

March 20, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessa

@PTG If you had done your homework you would know that the uneducated ones are actually employed by other companies contracted to take cust. serv. calls for AT&T. AT&T also likely will keep T-mobile employees. Not saying they will keep all of them, but I'm sure they will keep some, as well as offer other positions w/in the company to those whose positions will be eliminated. I would hope they would anyway.

March 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nolan

Maybe we will get lucky and At&t will go under before this deal goes through.

March 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • PTG

I only wish and hope your right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |