AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA
March 20th, 2011

AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA

AT&T will acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom for an estimated $39 billion, the companies said in a joint release Sunday.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy
  1. Joshua Wertheim

For a person with international needs, AT&T is a freakin' disaster. I had a $1,000 bill once in Ottawa Canada over a single weekend. With T-Mobile, because they are a European company, it is incredibly easy to use them overseas without paying absorbitant prices. Now AT&T is acquiring T-Mobile and unless they maintain the same pricing I already have, plus the same excellent support, I'm heading elsewhere.

March 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dogsayswoof

WARNING: T-mobile customers once AT&T acquires T-mobile you payments will go to supporting the TEA PARTY. Check it out, google AT&T and the Tea Party, there is a plethora of information out there. Be informed and be aware of how you indirectly support political parties with your payments. As soon as the deal is complete I will no longer be a T-mobile customer. Please pass this information on to your friends and family so they can make an informed decision as well.

March 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mr ed

tmobile may have descent coverage in certain areas , but other areas will barely have service . if att combines the 2 companies together on there equipment on cell sites then service will be better for both.

March 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AT&T

I've had at&t for 12 years now with no problems in the area I live in, that's what the deal is with any carrier, your location. My dowloads on my Dell Streak are all most twice as fast as my friends hvo on verizon. Yeah at&t is more pricey, but I like the faster bandwith and am willing to pay extra for it.

March 20, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Henry

@Phil Phil: "oh look at me I love to spend so much money on phone service. "I work at a MAAAAJOOORR (big loud sales voice) Logistics company working on servers but don't know how to spell simple words like "another". Get over yourself Phil no one cares what your field of work is just state "I need reliable service" end of story. Remember simple days when a cell phone was the size of your head how did everyone communicate then? Most people believe that they "NEED" a smart phone that can blah, blah, blah, you really don't. I have an Htc Evo that I have connected only via wifi and I utalize fringe and skype I pay $3.99 on average for phone service with text messaging. I read emails at my home and carry a crappy pre paid cell for emergencies only. To many people are letting their cell phones control their lives which is sad. I went to the R.M.V on friday and everyone was glued to their phones it looked like a sick zombie room everyone just looking at thier phones not even taking a moment to say excuse me while walking thru one another very sad that this is what the world is coming to. Come back to earth already people wake up nation!!!

March 21, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

I'm happy with my phone plan. $39.99 for two phones and unlimited minutes and unlimited on-line. No contract required with Toshiba.

March 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tcat

I've been employed by T-Mobile 5+ yrs and had no idea this was coming. We've wondered, behind closed doors, about the possibility of a buyout but never imagined AT+T would be the buyer. My biggest concern is staying employed. We'll see what happens when the deal goes before the SEC for approval. I've updated my career builder and monster accounts and reached out to friends with HTC, Cricket, Sprint, and Blackberry in the mean time. To my fellow employees I say this: hang in there. We are a highly trained and talented workforce, marketable in the industry, and hopefully retainable if the merger goes through.

March 20, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Prince Ray

This is what I get for Praising T-mobile, on these blogs, getting them friends, and family members. The good news is my contract becomes Null and Void, once their bought out (my contract was with T-mobile not AT & T), I'm glad I have great lawyers.. There's no way, in Hell, I'm putting up with AT& T.

March 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael

Oh no....time to switch to Verizon. AT&T is CRAP .

March 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. 1608

Okay I know this is a bad idea, but I need money so I am going to metro p c s. I don't need the talk time because my love ones txt me never call.

March 20, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gary

Just want to be Balanced
    Positive = I am very happy with T-Mobile = Good plans at the right price with good customer service
    Negative = I was NOT happy with AT&T = Poor, expensive plans with poor customer service

March 20, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael

No where left to run but Verizon. I hate AT&T. Used them for 6 years before switching to T-mobile. T-Mobile has been great....customer service, coverage, rates. What a shame.

March 20, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

I have 4 smart phones with Sprint, and pay about 150 per month with unlimited data and text. We all share 2000 minutes, but as we don't use the phones for actual *talking* never once have we ever gone over the minutes. We've had Sprint for about 12 years, with very little trouble.

AT&T, on the other hand, is my home phone and internet...and I'm not a real fan. Not a fan of AT&T at all.

March 20, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tmobile User

I kind of find this merge amusing. I like the idea of tmobile becoming a part of At&t. Okay granted prices might go up but like someone mentioned pick a plan and stick with it and it wont change. Plus ... I been wanting service with At&t for like ever and now I can finally laugh and say I dont have to pay $700 deposit per line.

CLASSIC!!!!

LOOOOOVE IT!!!!!!!

As for the customer service ... Im not too worried about it ... I dont have much problems!-

March 20, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Prince Ray

After the Praise I have continually given T-mobile in all Blogs, and bringing them my family, and friends. I shall be going to another carrier once this deal is finalized. There's no way I'm putting up with AT& T. And since my Contract becomes Null and Void, I shall look forward to a new carrier with lower rates. Oh, I have them in my online Ministry as a vendor.

March 20, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Herb

Not good at all. Ive had At&T for service from home phone to internet, and their service is horrible. Went to tmobile for the first time after having sprint and not having a cell phone for 5 years. Have been extremely satisfied with T mobile and quite disturbed that AT&T is aquiring them.

March 20, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |