AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA
March 20th, 2011

AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA

AT&T will acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom for an estimated $39 billion, the companies said in a joint release Sunday.

Post by:
Filed under: Business • Economy
  1. Pablo Francisco

Pretty sure that this acquisition won't affect service for either. Usually when a company takes over they keep much of the same infrastructure. When Fiat bought Chrysler they didn't do this massive overhaul. I think the worries about price fixing are legitimate, but I don't think it would really increase everyone's rates. If so then I'm dropping Verizon and going back to Metro PCS or even try Boost. Don't really spend my hard earned money on apps and any music I get from my computer. Only really care about email and web. Consumer reports listed Tmobile as a pretty good service because they used to be MCI which had a key part in innovating cell phone infrastructure

March 21, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Shoooo

I just did a stinkie. Shoooo : )

March 21, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar

@Shoooo: You need an enema, then a few Beanos; you'll be all right.

March 21, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar r

@Henry: Marsh Mellow pie in your face.

March 21, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. ed Bailey

Look at the plate tectonics, the world is a very unstable place.

March 21, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. ed Bailey

And yes I hate the GOP, tea party, and all the grreeedy thievery that exists in the world! Dick cheny and other slob can Kma!!!!!!

March 21, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. Frankie

Switched from AT&T due to nothing but dropped calls even with full signal. I have had every provider over the last few years and Tmobile has been the best I have had. Best customer service and sound quality. It been a great 4 years and now that has come to an end. I will also be looking at other providers on my next day off. Bad choice Tmobile.

March 21, 2011 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. Cesar r

@Frankie: Do you think that you have dropped signals because of your poor sp*rm count?

March 21, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. JohnfromMI

I recieved a txt from T-Mobile Fri Nite telling me soon I will have to puchase my hotspot and Tethering

March 21, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar r

I don't like tethering. They claim its fast, but its so slow, that I'll just go with a smart phone. I'm glad the snow is gone in MI, John.

March 21, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. JT

Makes perfect sense. They've been using each others' cell towers for awhile now. They both use the same technology (HSPA+). The only way they were going to be able to compete in the "4G" era was to merge. Sprint and Verizon use different technology that gives them faster speeds on average. By expanding coverage area and bandwith, AT&T will be able to offer similar speeds and coverage, leveling the playing field a little bit.

The only thing we'll miss is the phone line-up exclusive to T-mobile.

March 21, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. laura

you know what the worst part is.... its another company going away and that takes away another option for everyone. Take away all the options then you see your bill go up and up and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Having many different companies for a service keeps prices lower for everyone.
    Oh and better check your info about TMOBILE using AT&T lines...... when we had AT&T I would get Verizon info so I think they all use eachothers stuff..

March 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cesar r

@Laura: Marsh Mellow pie in your face!

March 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RobertNeilTerry

Just a summary. My faves in T-mobile. Family plan in AT&T. More coverage due to more lines. Higher rates from merger. Faster internet as 4G will be increasing everybodies speeds (including 3G, Edge, 2G, and all). An almost monopoly. Can any of the others compete? A lowering of service to the least friendly in the market. Dropped calls due to dysfunctional computer systems. Have I missed anything?

March 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kim

Att suck there expensive with limited choices the calls always drop t mobil has those little midget phones that look like baby toys. I dont like much about either of these companies. Its like they dont care about customer service.

March 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |