March 22nd, 2011

Yemen's army repelled al Qaeda attack, official says

Yemen's army repelled an attack on a military position Tuesday by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, killing 12 militants and wounding five, a Yemeni official told CNN, citing sources at the Interior Ministry in Sanaa.

The official, who spoke on condition of not being named because he is not authorized to talk to the media, said the attack occurred east of the city of Lawdar, in Abyan province in southwest Yemen.

The attack came on a day that Yemen's embattled president told the country's largest opposition bloc he would step down at the beginning of next year, a ruling party official told CNN.

The opposition rejected the offer, demanding that Ali Abdullah Saleh resign immediately. But Saleh pushed back against opponents - including some of his own top generals - defying calls for him to quit.

Post by:
Filed under: Al Qaeda • Middle East • Yemen
  1. Tom

Two points and an observation on your Libya/Mid East coverage today:
    1) Yemen is NOT in North Africa...it is on the SOUTH end of the Arabian Peninsula.
    2) The Navy doesn't typically have 32,000 crewman on a surface combatant warship.
    Has anyone pointed out there are still live weapons on USAF F-15E wreckage: the "AIM-120" is a missile.

March 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Terry

The militants are winning the war

March 22, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar r

Certainly good news that the terrorists were repelled; better news 12 were killed. More need to die for a world victory of good over evil. I love the smell of fried food at Applebee's.

March 22, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

How nice that you think it's great people are dying. Selfish @$$...

By the way, governments have a nasty habit of lying, so don't believe everything you hear. I bet they're just telling this to western media because they know everybody will be terrified. @_@

March 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. L64

Cesar you are nuts! Lol

March 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Andreas Moser

And I thought AQ was dead.

March 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

@Cesar r:
    I agree with what you're saying, except for the Applebee's. TGIF's fried foods smell better! Lol 😉

March 22, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. L64

I like catfish cove, personally.

March 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Nothing's better than frying up your own catfish and blue gill in Shore Lunch. De-liscious!

March 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

Not beats deep-frying freshly-caught catfish and blue gill in Shore Lunch. De-licious!

March 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

Now why did that post twice? My phone is on drugs again.

March 22, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar (C) TX

I like Outback's awesome blossom myself. Obama should appoint a fried foods czar to enforce uniformity at all restaurants. When I go to Red Lobster I want an awesome blossom too.

March 22, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. L64

But the blossom is Australian!

March 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

walleye beat catfish any day lol time to get out the canoe soon banasy u ready? lol i know i am been workin myself to death and fishin and canoein sure does sound good but forecast says we are gettin more dayum snow and freezin rain dbl yuk!

March 22, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

and bout dayum time we heard someone kickin some al quaida butt

March 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Justifions-l'injustice

"official who did not want to be identified" he's a traitor, not an official for a lack of word! How come always our sources has no brave or bold routes? Keep killing your own for a dollar profit. In high school or college if your source has no root, it is best consider an opinion by your reader. All the informations poisoning readers' minds in this great country has never had any root from overseas. Why? why? Whay are these cia agents so scare to be the heroes? A refugee few years ago, i never hid my name or image when i spoke with australian eastern europeans and american news maker. I got so many threats of being thrown out of the camp by un workers, but i knew i what doing justice to millions by giving my 16yrs-old life for the world to hear the truths un did not want to report and look bad, if my single life would only save one man and a woman at least. Why can't us news informants do the same? Cnn pls stop these propaganda lies news!!!

March 22, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |