March 23rd, 2011

Woman dies of injuries from Jerusalem blast

A loud explosion shook a busy street in Jerusalem on Wednesday, wounding 50 people and killing at least one woman, authorities said. It is the first bombing of its kind in Jerusalem since 2004.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast.

Police found a medium-sized explosive device attached to a phone booth near the site of a blast. It was close to Jerusalem's central bus station, Israeli medical services said. Watch CNN capture the scene moments after the explosion

Several of those injured were hurt critically, authorities said. The wounded include two pregnant women, according to Nir Barkat, the mayor of Jerusalem.

He condemned the "cowardly terrorist attack" in which "innocent people were hurt."

The blast took place in "a very crowded area" with "a lot of civilians and two buses," said Yonatan Yagadovsky, a spokesman for Israel's emergency services. "Three to four are in critical condition. The rest of the casualties are moderately to lightly injured," he said.

The injuries came from both the force of the blast itself and from flying shrapnel, he said. The wounded included two pregnant women, he said. The blast comes after an unusually intense period of hostilities between Israel and the Palestinians. At least 10 Palestinians have been killed since Saturday, including four militants and two children who died in an Israeli strike that appears to have missed its target.

"Israel and Jerusalem are relatively very safe recently," Barkat told CNN. "This is something that happens rarely, and we hope to keep it that way."

The attack "brings very bad memories to us," medical services spokesman Yagadovsky said. Israel had not experienced an attack for a "very, very long time," he said. "It is something that we will have to deal with again."

Post by: ,
Filed under: Israel
  1. Sulayman F.

I have no idea what caused this, and I hope that nobody was killed and that this wasn't terrorism.

As a Muslim, the first thing I did was pray for the victims. Terrorism is a horrible sin, and the Quran clearly says that people who commit murder will be thrown into hell. Let there be peace in the middle east, and please, let's not go down the path of people knee-jerk bashing all Muslims worldwide as often happens on this forum.

March 23, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Amen.

March 23, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Tanya

Sulayman, I am an Orthodox Jew. I want to thank you for your lovely and kind message, and I am wondering if there are other muslims out there who are like you? I never hear muslim groups condeming acts of terrorism. Thank you again, Tanya

March 23, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Sulayman F.

Tanya, yes Muslim groups do speak out and condemn acts of terrorism. My local mosque used to issue statements, but the local newspaper never thought they were newsworthy (I suppose Muslims opposing terrorism was obvious and normal so not newsworthy). I don't know why CNN never invites Muslims on their program to comment, but you could always check the websites of American Muslim groups like CAIR, ICNA, ISNA, and MPAC.

March 23, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Sulayman F.

Muslims love Jesus too, peace be upon him. Fortunately not all Christians are as hateful as Faisal.

March 23, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Thanks for your post, and peace be with you as well.

Nevermind Faisal... someone peed in his imbred coffee this morning.

March 23, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Omar

Thanks Brother Sulayman for your post....and Sister Tanya, I hope you will hear the voices of us Muslims (99% of us) who condemn terrorism....I am another one for you from a Palestinian Muslim!

March 23, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Zach

Thank you @Sulayman F. As a Jew who recently returned from Israel, I am touched by your kind words and sentiments. I wish more people like you would speak out as voices of reason and humanity.

March 23, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Stanley Kubrick

Want to understand the problem in the Middle East in a nutshell? Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hTOaRu7h4

March 23, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • wondering

you have no idea what caused this? sorry, but I can't get past that line.

March 23, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Davey Jones

Faisal, if you were a true follower of Christ you would not wish anyone would go to hell. Instead of spewing hatred, why not show Christ's message in an effort to convert non-Christians? Demonstrate in your comments Christ's love for all and His desire to save all of humanity and bring us into communion with Him in heaven.

March 23, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken

"you have no idea what caused this? sorry, but I can't get past that line."

You're too funny... I am certain they know a lot more about the problems in the Middle East than 90% of the posters - me included (no offense). Although they probably could have better phrased it like "We don't know the details", I'm sure you already knew that's what they meant.

March 23, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

huh? You hope it's not terrorism? Yeah, the Israeli army was there as they usually were playing with their bombs, and one of them 'accidently' left one armed in a phone booth and forgot about it. Yeah, it's not terrorism...

March 23, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • BrotherJohn OFDallas

Good words, Sulayman. As a Christian, I condemn all acts of terrorism against any religious or ethnic group. Keep it up.

March 23, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Joshua

Hey people,
      First thing I'm in the army and have been here awhile deployed as Infantry and shot people and all that fun stuff, but obviously hate has so far started to become the basis on which our country is ans is tearing down this country.
      Anyone on here who is Muslim thank you for your comments and concerns, just understand that many off us have fought and have families who have fought and died in this war, and while it should not be the stereotype suggest otherwise, and other people exspecialy the ones who call themselves christians you no better than this. We need to hope and pray for these people this is the time to bear arms of which we have long forgotten how to do, it's time to use faith rather than words. start to stand up rather than sit down!!

March 23, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Seth

We do respect Jesus, peace be upon him. We do not say his name with lots of F words in the same sentence like a lot of people do. We do preach his goodness and kindness and his miracles and his message. We just dont believe that he was the god, or the begotten son.

March 23, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Lin

This is where you lost me

"always check the websites of American Muslim groups like CAIR"

March 23, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • anythingGos

Thank you for your words, Sulayman. Unfortunately it looks like this is the view of a minority in Muslim World. Unfortunately it was an act of terrorism: "An explosive device was attached to a phone booth near the site of the blast, police said." it said in the last sentence and I don't see a reason not to believe this.
      What will be helpful it's if a widely reputable sunni and shia Muslim theological scholars would issue fatwa that murder of non-believers is a crime against Quran. So far no such thing happen (for the best of my knowledge).

March 23, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • wondering

@Ken: If they knew so much about the middle east, then would they write "I hope it was not terrorism" about a bomb that went off in the central bus station in Jerusalem? Or maybe it's not a matter of knowledge, but of honesty.

March 23, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Sulayman F.

@anythingGos, there are thousands of fatwas against terrorism, Sunni and Shia. You can even search for them on google before you assume there aren't any. For Sunni fatwas, you can read Al-Azhar's website in Arabic, or Sunnipath.com in English or http://www.islamonline.net/en/

March 23, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Frankly Speaking..

@ Tanya

Now, as an orthodox jew can you apologize for the killing of 2 palestinian children as the same article points out ?..You see for some reason it has become a norm for the muslims to apologize anything associated with them in this damn world.. I denounce terrorism as much as Sulayman or you do but on the same I find it STUPID that people expect the muslims to apologize acts purpotrated by crazies!!

You still owe the muslims an apology

Thanks,
      Rizwam

March 23, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • anythingGos

Sulayman, I'm talking about fatwa by reputable cleric. I know that it's no single authority in Islam. I'm sure that some religious scholars taking stand against violence. But it will make big news if such fatwa will be issued by top Saudi clerics and by top shia clerics in Iran or Pakistan. Can you, please, save me search and tell if it' happen? So far influential Pakistani clerics defending assassinations of politicians who suggested(!) to soften blaspheme law to protect life of non-Muslim minorities! It's no need to talk about Iran's clerics. And Saudi authorities often need to punish their clerics for public expression of extremist views (for damage control in relations with US and Europe).
      In Old Testament and in Quran the level of bloody violence not very different. The difference is that, since St. Augustin in Christianity and Rabbi Akiva in Judaism, the mainstream interpretation of this violence is allegorical and non-violent (Augustin's rule of "most charitable interpretation"; only small marginal groups are holding on literal interpretation; non-violent interpretation not prevented violent crusades, but general tendency is non-violent), but mainstream interpretation of Quran is literal. To become non-violent Islam needs to go through same kind of transformation that Judaism and Christianity had 16 hundreds years ago. Violence in Quran needs to be "twisted" and interpreted in non-violent / charitable way (for example, brutal killing of prisoners in Old Testament interpreted as elimination of earthy possessions, as slaves would be if left alive; I don't remember exact details). This process maybe in making and maybe in couple hundreds years we'll see the result, but not yet. But this unlikely to happen in my lifetime -:(

March 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazz7

I grew up catholic but now I dont associate my self with any religion , I just love God. It may sound simplistic but that is who I am. I guess you could say that there are extremist in EVERY religion, look and u can find examples in all of them. NO ONE IS WITHOUT SIN. But there are times when I want to love those I come in contact and they make it extreemly difficult to do so. Here I can say I LOVE u all , words are the only thing u can deture me with. I really cant wait till God does come back so I dont have to deal with the CRAP this world spews out every day. Sorry dont mean to sound like a Debbie downer , that is not who I am. Usually I am the first one to crack a joke. I LOVE U ALL and if you dont like it TOO BAD , HAHAHA

March 23, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • jedi

@ Sulayman F

Is that a public stunt or honest prayer. "Here's your statement "you could always check the websites of American Muslim groups like CAIR, ICNA, ISNA, and MPAC." The Council of Islamic American relation(CAIR) is not an organization i would trust nor would I trust ISNA, ICNA or MPAC. According to ADL and Steve Emerson, CAIR has long record propating anti-semitic and anti-Israeli propaganda. So Sulayman F are you trying to create public stunt or honest prayer? I know one thing for sure that CAIR merely condemn terrorism just to make themselves look good

March 24, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • jedi

Founded by leaders of the Islamic Association for Palestine (IAP), a Hamas affiliated anti-Semitic propaganda organization, CAIR refused for many years to unequivocally condemn by name Hezbollah and Palestinian terror organizations, which the U.S. and international community have condemned and isolated.

March 24, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. oddo

Here we go, looks like radical islam is at it again....

March 23, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Jordan

What else is new? All violence, murder and wars in the world are directly related to islam.....

March 23, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • michaelfury

Or not.

March 23, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • lev

True, but somehow you never see it in the articles "a bomb mysteriously showen up in a phone booth near bus station and even more unexplicably exploded unfortunatly wounding people"
      It's never stated that it's a terror attack ment to kill jews (not even israelies)
      On the other hand you always see somthing like "Israeli bombing kill poor palestinian babies"

March 23, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeremy

As someone who has rode on egged buses many times, especially through Jerusalem, I feel for the victims. There is a wider escalation not reported with grad rockets falling on beer'sheva and ashdod via Gaza. The last few days have seen an escalation.

March 23, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex M

Jeremy, because CNN doesn't want people to know that.
      Check jpost.com or ynetnews.com for true real life information

March 23, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Paul

Sarah got a new toy???

March 23, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeremy

Disgusting rhetoric...hope your racist post is scrubbed

March 23, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Alex M

Non-Believers you are a sand camel doosh bag, go read a book or jump off a bridge.

To the rest of the world this is why Israel imposes gaza blockade and tough security measures on West bank because idiots that just blew up a bus are all over the place.

March 23, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • rr

oh well that is so funny.. I'm from Haifa ... I can tell you this we are not fair ... we killed too a lot of childrens .. etc. took their lands and we still wondering why they want to kill us ???

March 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Adam

Or Allah as you say....

March 23, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. PaliH8r

We need to nuke Palestine once and for all. You cannot be civil with killers.

March 23, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

March 23, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex M

Pali lol there is no such thing as Palestine lol
      we should nuke gaza for sure.. Hamas needs to be destoryed, 99% of people therer are brainwashed..

March 23, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bob

i hope there are not many victims. more victims of evil anti-semitism

March 23, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. angelprints

That is very rude to say...you know inocent lives are at risk here. Babies, children. It's sick to see comments like the one you have posted. What is wrong with people these days??? Doesn't anyone have a heart anymore?

March 23, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • ABD

Most christians say we need to Nuke palestine, afghanistan, pakistan, iraq, Libya, and more other countries, at the end of the day they say christianity is about peace, and forgiveness, and if someone slap you on one side of the face give him the other side, how can people lie to themselves I don't know. The jew made you believe that palestinians who bomb themselves is becasue they are against the democracy in Israel, and becasue they want to kill any non-muslim, and they don't want you to know that they are doing this becasue there land is occupied, and becasue tens of thousands of palestinians were killed by the zionists, and tens of thousands of others are in Jail.

March 23, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Zorro

@ABD,

re: The jew made you believe...

Everything is always the fault of the Jews, isn't it? I bet if you couldn't get it up you'd blame the Jews.

March 23, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jeremy

I guess you have no clue what has been going on lately with Hamas and the rockets they fired..but expected from someone who has no idea.

March 23, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Keksi

Palestinians have right to defend their homes and land like every American....right?

March 23, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

Since when is " defending their homes" bombing buses? sending rockets to cities? give me a break....they have had every opportunity to have their own homes and own homeland...they decided to elect a fundmentalist islamic govt in Gaza. Enough Said.

March 23, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Forget it Jeremy. You can't reason with these people. They see killing others as a sacred duty – how sick is that. I keep hearing how the radicals are such a small minority – time for the majority to get them under control.

March 23, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • PaliH8r

Sure defend the home, but don't go to someone elses backyard and bomb them.

March 23, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

And how did America happen to find their land?

March 23, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. F. Breener

Why are you in NYC then? Why don't you live in the middle east? You suck, will be back to farming goats and sand in 100 years.

March 23, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  14. MEYER BEN-ELAZAR

NO RESPONSE IS NEEDED, JUST READ THE COMMENTS BY THE DERANGED "BELIEVERS"

March 23, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. Leo

The Palestinian murderers are back at their horrific habits.

March 23, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • rr

really .. As jews in Israel .. how about us killing them everyday.. took lands from them and wondering why they hate us ??

March 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |