Tsunami-stranded porpoise rescued from rice paddy 1.2 miles from coast
Ryo Taira rescues a young finless porpoise from a flooded rice paddy.
March 24th, 2011

Tsunami-stranded porpoise rescued from rice paddy 1.2 miles from coast

A young finless porpoise was rescued this week from a flooded rice paddy in Ishinomaki, Japan - where it had apparently been dumped by the March 11 tsunami - and released into the ocean, according to news reports.

Pet-shop owner Ryo Taira told Reuters a motorist spotted the animal in a field two kilometers (1.2 miles) from the coast on Tuesday. The man called Taira, who has been coming to the aid of animal victims of the earthquake and tsunami.

Tairo said he waded into the field and grabbed the porpoise.

"It was pretty weak by then, which was probably the only reason we could catch it," Reuters quoted him as saying.

He wrapped the creature  in towels, took it to the ocean and released it, he said, because facilities to help ailing animals have been damaged or destroyed by the tsunami and quake, according to an Agence France Presse report on AsiaOne.com.

"I don't know if it will live, but it's certainly a lot better than dying in a rice paddy," Tairo told the Asahi Shimbun, according to the Reuters report.

Finless porpoises, distinguished by their lack of a dorsal fin, inhabit shallow coastal waters of the Indian and western Pacific Oceans, according to marinebio.org.

Post by:
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Animals • Japan • World
  1. Larry

flipper would be proud!

March 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flipper

That was my kid. Thanks for returning him to me!

March 24, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. civilizationmustdie

@sowhat- Wow! What talented sarcasm! I'm all goosebumps! Humans stupid enough not only to build nuclear reactors but to actually place them in geologically unstable areas have no reasin to be surprised or complain when they fail and deserve what they get. Compassion for living beings OTHER THAN HUMAN is all too rare and deserves to be applauded.

March 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gvo

If each of us would do one small duty each day to help a human or animal, this would be a much better world. Newsworthy...yes. Because it may just make others understand that most of us out here in newsland appreciate such efforts!

March 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Wolf

Bravo, Mr. Taira, Bravo!

March 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dropdeadkayy

i agree with Civilization. in a time like this we all need to lend a helping hand with our other inhabitant neighbors on this planet. very often we forget that we do not own this planet, and make poor decisions; such as the nuclear plants, that end up creating chaos not only for ourselves but for the other inhabitants on this earth. nonetheless, poor decision making is made by people like the ones mocking this news report. congrats, and thanks for the idiocracy.

March 24, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. surething

I love the in-depth comments about this not being newsworthy. I guess the headline was really misleading and lured you into reading an article that isn't worthy of being in the news?
    "Tsunami-stranded porpoise rescued from rice paddy 1.2 miles from coast"
    That is a dirty trick. How could CNN mislead you that way? And THEN they have the gall to force you to invest even more time by writing a post. Some nerve.

March 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • So What!!

I wasn't mislead at all. I knew the nature of the article before I ever opened it. I opened it and read it for the SOLE purpose of making a sarcastic comment on it. So much for that...huh?

March 24, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar r

The porpoise of this article is to report on humanity and that big fish, or as Krista calls it, a "mammal" Please, if you don't like this news, go to a different thread, then come back and see if you feel different. Your heart might surprise you.

March 24, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cesar r

That's funny. I went to a bar last week and had free sushi with chips. Sure looked, smelled, and tasted like fish.

March 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Blazee

Maybe sushi isn't always fish but marlin is always fish.

March 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. doctorherd

Save a porpoise, be a hero, save a human baby, go to jail!

March 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alex

My hat is off to you Tairo, may your noble efforts here be rewarded in a way you see fit. Thank you!

March 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. beefcake

it's hilarious that everybody that gets mad and calls someone else stupid, usually has several spelling errors in their rant about being smarter or more evolved than the other blogger.

March 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheesecake

I completely agree with you.

March 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bill

i would have grabbed a short 2 by 4 and then bash it's head repepeatly until it was dead. then i would have shared this meal with my family and friends.

March 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • ana

obvious you are an idiot

March 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

you forgot the "hill" in front of your name and the "y" at the end

March 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Terrence Gargiulo

Recently my family and I had a wonderful encounter with dolphins. I'm an avid SCUBA diver and I have been fortunat to be near these animals on boats and even in the water jumping 25 yards from while I was surfacing from a dive...however, touching and interacting with them is another whole experience...it got me thinking about how some of the insights I gained from this experience might be applicable in the work place. I created a short video reflecting on this theme:

Terrence Gargiulo

March 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar r

Sorry Krista, its people like" SO WHAT" that will never understand us. He could care less about the killing of so many defenseless animals throughout the world; like fishermen cutting off fins of sharks then throwing them back, the skinning of cats and dogs for their fur, the list goes on and on. "So What" you are a heartless as*s/hole.

March 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |