Volcano-sparked fire threatens Hawaii wildlife area
A lava flow from the Kilauea Volcano is measured at more than 6.5 feet high on March 14.
March 24th, 2011

Volcano-sparked fire threatens Hawaii wildlife area

A fire ignited by lava from the Kilauea Volcano on Hawaii's Big Island is threatening what a National Park Service spokesman calls "a living laboratory of Hawaiian plants and animals," the Star-Advertiser in Honolulu reports.

The fire, which began on March 5, has burned 100 acres of a 2,750-acre special ecological area in a lowland rain forest, according to the Park Service.

Among the creatures in the area are happy face spiders, carnivorous caterpillars and the endangered Hawaiian bat, the newspaper said, citing Park Service fire information spokesman Gary Wuchner.

"It best represents what Hawaii was, and is a seed source for plants and refuge for birds," Hawaii Volcanoes National Park spokeswoman Mardi Lane told the Star-Advertiser.

Forty Park Service firefighters from Hawaii and western mainland states are battling the fire, according to the report.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Fire • Hawaii • Natural Disasters • Nature • Volcanoes
  1. Bible Thumper

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... Oh my God! Just as it was foretold in the holy manuscript!!!! Repent! No Run then Repent!!!! End of days!!!

March 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • QS

What believers call "the end", to me, is simply the end for them and the beginning for the rest of us. I kinda like the idea that only non-believers will be "left behind" as it leaves the planet open for rebuilding by rational people in order to create a world free from the delusion of religion.

Luckily, the above mentioned opinion is moot anyway because 'the rapture' is make-believe and 'the end' has been near for a long time now according to believers. Guess the rational people will just have to find another way to create that world since the believers really aren't going anywhere.

March 24, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeCMH

For the Christian End Days folks: Kiss my Left Behind.

March 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Rideout

I love how Qs refers to Roman Catholics as irrational but refers to the US government as rational. I suppose it was rational when the US killed women and childred in Iraq Afghanistan and now Libya.

March 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Rideout

"Guess the rational people will just have to find another way to create"?
      What has the US government created? If anything it has destroyed. The US looks at people who pray and cling to their families as enemies. The US is the most perverted nation on Earth. Hope you rot criminals. I would condemn the lot of you however there are some great Americans like Charlie Sheen and Alex Jones who are exposing Cnn and people like Qs for the frauds they are.

March 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

If the great earthquake shook Southern California in the future; then I will be conviced.

March 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

When we finally teraphorm a planet, we should not allow any religiouse people on it, they have ruined this world, why let them destroy another? There will still be fighting, but not over make believe things.

March 24, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Evans

You can poke fun if you want thumper, but our basement is stock piled with food water and other supplies. The end is near. My family and I will be ready. The end is so near.

March 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • James Rideout

So true. People like Qs are scoffers they scoff at the Bible just as the Bible predicted they would. There have been more violent and deadly Earthquakes above magnitude 7 in the past several years then there have been in the past century and Earthquakes are on the rise especially violent and deadly ones along with volcanoes and other signs of tectonic plate movement. It is not "rational" to assume that all of this occurred by chance!

March 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emmy

People believe that we are in trouble now with our nations and natural disasters but it will get a LOT worse before the end. And for those who believe that the end will be quick and painless, you don't realize that before Jesus returns, the world will be on the brink of total and complete global destruction. NO one will be able to hide from it. Global mayhem.

Jesus tells us:: "You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places."

“Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

March 24, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • WSJ

The only thing that ended was any hope of you being an intelligent human being. I feel sorry for your family.

March 24, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Skeptical

Let us say you really believe that and violent earthquakes will rip apart the earth and we have giant tsunamis that wipe out continents. How is a basement going to help?

March 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Hey Emmy, there is more love in this world then there ever has been before. To say these earthquakes are not chance, is ignorance, we no nothing of this planet because geological things happen on such long time scales. I mean, there have been multiple mass extinctions, multiple massive meteor strikes, we are moving to the other end of the milkway, how will the gravitational pulls effect the continents? Ignorance is no excuse for making things up to explain what you do not understand. Oh well, I don't begrudge you your beliefs, if they make you feel good, then go all out, that is all any of us can do, what we think is best. Good luck to you now and in the future.

March 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. islam

no one knows for sure when the world will end excapt for all mighty god when the time comes we will know for sure!

March 24, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ben

If the end is near why would you stock your basement with all that you won't be able to use it when your dead. Lmao heres your sign

March 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • JIMSTER

GOOD CALL BEN....BUT AT LEAST THE BODIES WILL GIVE THE ANTS AND THE ROACHES SOMETHING TO EAT....LOL

March 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Me

I want to leave prison planet. I just pray it's relatively quick and painless. Why would I stockpile food and water so I could survive in a wasteland full of disease and half dead zombies? We're close enough to that as it is. No thanks.

March 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

WOW, that is weak, people like you are the reason the world is the way it is, bet you live on welfare most of the time, cause, waaaa, life is to hard! Idiot.

March 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. David Chicago

I'd still LOVE to live in Hawaii.

March 24, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. rysyngphoenix

So said many are afraid of dying and have never lived. The world is coming to the end for each one that is a mortal and dies. So get over it. I am one is not afraid of dying.. I am afraid of the living who create the havoc, not death.

March 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Wilder

I live here and this is the first I've heard of it.

March 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Me

Also isn't the end days supposed to include a rapture where you're ushered into heaven!? You think heaven doesn't have bottled water and canned meat? Lol

March 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tyto with a Y

The big island of Hawaii is beautiful and I too would love to retire in Paradise.

March 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Me

I'm retiring in Hawaii in about 30 years lol. Hopefully I die on the beach

March 24, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. George Jetson

The happy face spider. I love it. I bet my wife would have a different name for it.

March 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rosiedear

This is sad. Such a beautiful place with such a rich diversity of life existing under constant threat from the volcanos.

It's true that that beauty and all that life wouldn't be possible if it weren't for the volcanic activity that created the islands and continues to renew them, but the destruction of wildlife, habitat, and even human settlement is so tragic.

March 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • JIMSTER

I AM SURE PELE COULD CARE LESS....

March 24, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LeeCMH

For the Christian End Days folks - Kiss My Left Behind.

March 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Steven Landers

Which nature should win? The geological nature or the botanical nature?

March 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

They both win, nature as we know it would not be able to exist with out plate techtonics, without valcanoes, there would not even be a Hawaii

March 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |