Volcano-sparked fire threatens Hawaii wildlife area
A lava flow from the Kilauea Volcano is measured at more than 6.5 feet high on March 14.
March 24th, 2011

Volcano-sparked fire threatens Hawaii wildlife area

A fire ignited by lava from the Kilauea Volcano on Hawaii's Big Island is threatening what a National Park Service spokesman calls "a living laboratory of Hawaiian plants and animals," the Star-Advertiser in Honolulu reports.

The fire, which began on March 5, has burned 100 acres of a 2,750-acre special ecological area in a lowland rain forest, according to the Park Service.

Among the creatures in the area are happy face spiders, carnivorous caterpillars and the endangered Hawaiian bat, the newspaper said, citing Park Service fire information spokesman Gary Wuchner.

"It best represents what Hawaii was, and is a seed source for plants and refuge for birds," Hawaii Volcanoes National Park spokeswoman Mardi Lane told the Star-Advertiser.

Forty Park Service firefighters from Hawaii and western mainland states are battling the fire, according to the report.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Fire • Hawaii • Natural Disasters • Nature • Volcanoes
  1. Dwayne Herbert Alizondo Mountain Dew Comacho

@James Rideout: There hasn't been accurate methods of measuring global activity until recently. I have so much faith in God that I'm not worried about it. What's that say about your faith? You doubt the almighty's ability to protect his flock? I've got more faith than you. 🙂

March 24, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. D&L

Sounds to me the island is doing what it would do naturally if humans were not there and it's us trying to stop nature

March 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luke

Nature HAS been stopped by us and that's why the very small area of the park is an oasis of native and endangered life. The volcanoes have never destroyed a percentage of the species that humans have on these islands. So you're right in one sense – the fire and lava floes that caused it are natural; but you're wrong in another, which is the assumption that it's natural for entire species to be wiped out by such a small fire.

March 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dwayne Herbert Alizondo Mountain Dew Comacho

Maybe the people whom contributed to the bible knew it was a scam and accurately predicted people would figure that out. They got one thing right.

March 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cindy

TRUTH abounds in odd places, even in the Bible. Heaven is here and now. In the arms of your loved ones. In the beauty of a spring morning. The crisp exhilleration of a frosty morning watchint the miricle of your breath on the air. The compassion and warmth in the smile of your barista as he/she hands you your coffee. In the way it makes you feel inside to find a welcoming face on the back of a spider! Even in loss as you realize someone had a profound impact on your life... and that includes pets. Be mindful of others, be compassionate, be present.

Please don't waste your time on this plane of existance praying for death. For those who truly get it, death is but a start of another journey of a different type. For those who long for death, unaware of the beauty and heaven that awaits them if they will just open their hearts and eyes, you get to try again. We all hope you get it. Attacking faith helps no one, if a person is ready they will ask.

Love is the only important thing... everything else is just details.
    Namaste

March 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

@George Jetson:

Exactly my first thought, too....
    Isn't happy-faced spider kind of an oxymoron? 🙂

March 24, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Law

DUH WINNING!

March 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. It's Nature's Way

All this "the sky is falling" hand-wringing over a small, 2,750 acre fire on the side of the world's tallest mountain (as measured from the bottom of the Pacific to the top of Mauna Loa)? Just be glad it is not a big proclastic volcano like Mt. Saint Helens – that kind of eruption really can spoil your whole day. The current Kilauea eruption has been slowly going on for 30+ years. Species on Hawaii have adapted to fire for millions of years and so will the species currently adjusting to the growing island. And for you folks who have stocked your basements for the end of the world, don't tell your neighbors who own weapons!

March 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hawg

Its ok as long as you stockpiled both. Everyone is welcome just bring something to the table with you.

March 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Lol. How christian of you.

March 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dwayne Herbert Alizondo Mountain Dew Comacho

@Cindy: Yes when I think heaven I think Starbucks. Hahahahaha.... Loser. When I think heaven I think of being sandwiched between to gorgeous women whom aren't riddled with stds. You've got you're heaven and I've got mine. 🙂

March 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hawg

I like Cindy's heaven, yours does not sound bad either, as long as it dosent include 68 more virgins, and stuffing C4 up my butt to get there.

March 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sbast18

It's what Hawaii has always done and will do for the next million years or so. Either way, Madame Pele has the final say. Hey, maybe she doesn't like smiling spiders...? I walked accross a flo there once and it was an incredible experience. The lava was still flowing through the tube it had created but the surface was thick, solid and warm. The closest thing to it would be akin to walking on the cover of a boiling pot of water. Sigh....I miss life over there... Beautiful place.

March 24, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dwayne Herbert Alizondo Mountain Dew Comacho

@Emmy: Ok whatever you say. When hasn't there been war? When hasn't there been famine or disease? The God I believe in does not tolerate such things even if Jesus believes they must happen. It's munchaussen syndrome. Devil makes you sick then he sends a fraudulent healer to save you. Either way your soul is going to the same place. My God loves even if yours doesn't.

March 24, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Name*TXPOPS

How silly we all are. We build on fault lines, volcanoes, in tornado alley and in the paths of hurricanes and then we blame it on a higher power. Maybe we are not silly, just stupid!

March 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dr steve ramsey- canada

christeans think the end is in may 21 2011. i am telling you that i spoke to God and he lough and said those idiots are wrong and they have been wrong when they took jesus as God AND LEFT THE REAL GOD jahova( allah) the father as one of thre!!! trinity....jesus is a man and until they worship the true God non of them will go to heaven...in may 21 2011 i will be watching a nice movie and when may 22 comes i will wave my middle finger to you .

March 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ibelieve

After reading all these coments I don't know who to feel sorry for the most, unbelievers or believers that err at understanding the word of God. The end is near & we all r going to face persecution alike before Jesus returns. Our only hope to make it to heaven when we die, is to be filled with the power of the holy ghost, which is Christ living inside of us, to stay strong till we die or go up to the sky to meet Jesus at his return. I pray for the good lord to open all our eyes of understanding as to his wonderful truth's & for power to hold on to them before it's too late. God bless us all.

March 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mike

Wow. the idiots have take over the forum. This is about a small fire in Hawaii from LAVA which is capable of BURNING things. Nothing new to see here folks! As for end times.....puh-lease! Oh, thats right....the good book says there will be people who doubt what they see. Ummmm......thats called a scare tactic. I feel GOOD knowing my body will be recycled by the worms. The cycle of life and recycling of carbon based matter on earth is far more beatiful than your bible.

March 24, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

....that is IF you understand that cycle. For those who don't, well, you can keep your bible and kiss my left behind

March 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dwayne Herbert Alizondo Mountain Dew Comacho

@mike: Haha I can't believe half these people are serious, but people rarely make me laugh, so I thank you.
    @Hawg: No my heaven is entered by being a good person and not scamming others into some creepy cult pyramid scheme. No C4 required, but I'm thinking about being on the bottom of a 72 virgin pyramid, provided they are all smokin hot with open minds. 😉 I just don't like coffee though sorry.

March 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |