Accused cop killer surrenders after hostage standoff
Jamie Donnell Hood, accused of killing a police officer, surrenders Friday night after a hostage standoff in Athens, Georgia.
March 25th, 2011

Accused cop killer surrenders after hostage standoff

A suspect accused of killing a Georgia police officer and wounding another one surrendered to authorities Friday night after a hostage standoff.

The incident was captured by television cameras as officers arrested suspect Jamie Donnell Hood in Athens, Georgia.

Earlier Friday, Hood released four of eight hostages. It is not yet known how long the hostages had been held or if they had been harmed.

Hood is wanted in connection with Tuesday's slaying of Senior Police Officer Elmer "Buddy" Christian, 34, and the wounding of Senior Police Officer Tony Howard, 43.

FULL POST
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Georgia
  1. pointless1

Hopefully this has a swift ending.

March 25, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joe

..and now another life has ended..

March 25, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. C. Morrison

I am thankful that Mr J D Hood finally voluntarily surrendered and that all police officers and hostages are safe!

March 26, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. commontater

I hope he rots in prison for the rest of his life for what he did. The man he killed was a wonderful person.

March 26, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Call me Bob

Thank god criminals are cowards and will trade death now for an execution later.

March 26, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. Wolf

I'm glad he did the right thing.

March 26, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. DnR

Wow, totally not racist at all. But I bet all the crimes against African Americans by white police officers throughout history were completely justified, right?

March 26, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • wow

everyone is racist, saying you're not racist at all is a lie. you should be a politician

March 26, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. RC

Racist.

March 26, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. sandy k

Thank goodness he surrendered. I am glad he is alive, when people kill themselves the victims have no one to direct their need for justice toward. I pray for the officer, the hostages, and the shooter and all families touched by this, these situations no one wins.

March 26, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. DnR

No, I'm not black, I am an educated, white American attending medical school who is very well-aware of all the crimes committed against the black community in this country throughout history. I can't blame them for not trusting hospitals, the government, or police after what we've put them through for the past 200+ years. From slavery to Jim Crow laws to the Tuskegee syphilis experiments, the list goes on and on. I'm not trying to justify what this man did, because it's obviously awful, but I think it's a little unfair to condemn the entire black community in this country and around the world for a problem, I believe, is more tied to poverty and distrust than it is to race.

March 26, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Christopher

"educated" now means left wing indoctrination. There is learning lies in a classroom by agenda driven pundits and then there is the REAL world. Big difference. So you aren't educated at all. You only think you are. And on top of that, what does the medical field have to do with blacks?
    You are nothing but a brainwashed typical libtard who eats up every left wing lie that is thrown at you.
    Haiti has been free of whites for 200 years and its hands down one of the worst places on earth to live, same with many African countries, so don't tell me its the "white mans fault"

March 26, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • DNR is a joke

DNR is a joke pure and simple ...I agree...liberals are brainwashed from the media thru the educational system~

March 26, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • chicagogam

so...the only truly educated people are those who don't go to schools except perhaps splinter groups who most certainly have an agenda... we are truly doomed. if there is some correlation between what liberals say and what educated people say another response might be to take a second look. do you deny the factual components of what the previous person said? because it seems that you deny what you THINK the person implies..which is a different thing.

March 26, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

OK I admit it. I've been brainwashed into thinking all people deserve respect and to live their lives as they see fit so long as they allow others to do the same. Some day I may see the light , join the Tea Party and renounce that non-sense. But for now I remain brainwashed.

March 26, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Amen, So well said..........

March 27, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. Eric

Let me guess. You are white, republican, christian!

March 26, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. Christopher

Proud WHITE male and Republican and thats with a capital R. But I am an atheist.

Guess again blackie/libtard.

March 26, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Personally I think the cop killer should have been shot by a sniper in the house as he held hostages. I don't care what race he is. It seems that whenever it is a black suspect, there is a "reason" he did it and he is somewhat protected. Call it like it is...he is a criminal and a cop killer. He should be put to death!

March 26, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

It always cracks me up when people say they are proud to be white, black, or any race. Do they really think they had something to do with it? It's like being proud of rolling a seven on dice. It's luck, nothing to be proud of...

March 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Saffire Holmes

This is directes to the 3-26-2011 made at 12:20am...Wow, I respect the much needed history lesson...Its amazing how so many of us [African Americans] try to shift the blame towards racism..when will we open our eyes and really see things for what they are..Some things will never change...Much respect..

March 26, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. Christopher

Your comment is awaiting moderation

These leftist libtards just can't handle the truth, it drives them crazy and they have to run for help to get someone to censure it.
    P U S S I E S