March 25th, 2011

Canadian to lead NATO mission over Libya

Canadian Lt. Gen. Charlie Bouchard will command the NATO military campaign over Libya, CNN has confirmed.

Filed under: Canada • Libya • Military • NATO
  1. Dudley Do-Right...

...and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Who better to lead the charge to control Libya's airspace? Makes as much sense as bombing tanks and homes to enforce a no-fly zone. (except for roadside apples)

March 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • American Idiot

Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP are different agencies. Even I, the American Idiot, know that.

March 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • matt

Durka durak jihad jihad

March 25, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. harster

Finally! Canada is referred to as an independant country! We are clearly not "British" or "European", "French" or "American", which seems to be all CNN reports. Our people and planes are also out there making a great contribution to the coalitions goals. How about giving them the recognition they deserve and the up-to-date news on their efforts we, Canadian viewers, deserve. Kudos to your excellent field reporters! I admire their courage.

March 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • robert kirk

yes you are right , go to show us all the yanks are still and always will be dumd asses

March 25, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. brokerbabe076

Lieutenant General Charlie Bouchard is Deputy Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD). He has nothing to do with the RCMP. Can you spell Google? Canada is well known and respected for its peace-keeping, not for attack-search-and-destroy mentality. This is exactly what is required in this case. You might take a few notes.

March 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Warren

His previous position was Deputy Commander NORAD, but he assumed the role of Deputy Commander Allied Joint Force Command Naples in October 2009.

March 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. harster

A Canadian would seem to be a good choice, for this role since it is NATO led. Given the history of some of the other countries, I can understand the concern of the coalition when it comes to staying within the boundaries of their original agreement as much as possible. Give the guy a chance...

March 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mE

I'm just glad somebody besides us (Americans) are leading these type of things now.

March 25, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • American Idiot

Move the target around a little. It doesn't always need to be stapled to an American back.

March 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Douglas

We are a good choice for peacekeeping duties. I think that this will be a good change from the type of activities that we have been part of in Afghanistan.

I just hope that it all works out with minimal mishaps / use of force.

March 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. adrifter

Americans might think of Canadians as people who only get angry during hockey fights (and then shake hands afterwards), but Canada has a long and proud military history. Don't be fooled.

March 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • LT

That's true.. Canada's no.1 hockey enemy is US. If there is ever a match between US and Canada (like the Olympics), US is hated for 3hrs during the match. After that we're all brothers and sisters.

March 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Herbert

Canada? That's a first. Ay

March 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beez

Its Eh, but nice try.

March 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • CANb4AB

..and far from first.. Eh. But then again – Fox doesn't cover Canadian Military Operations....

March 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • American Idiot

Not even first RECENTLY. Various Canadian commanders have been in charge of Kandahar operations over the past few years.

March 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • LT

Herbert, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MK4SEoBFXk
      Canadian held the world record for sniping a Taliban 1.5miles away.

March 25, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Beez

Lets not forget that on D-day the Canadians got further inland then anyone else.

March 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Henry

You remind me of the guy that got in a fight and had it almost won when the other fought back and hit him with his crotches

March 25, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • American Idiot

I'm sure there are people who would love to argue with you Henry, if they could understnad what the &^$%^&*$& you just said.

March 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alpha720

They didn't do so well during the Dieppe Invasion in 1942..........German machine guns had a field day mowing down Brits and Canucks!

March 25, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bigdong

And canada has gorgeous women!

March 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mac

I think trying to command a NATO gang would be like herding cats, the General has my sympathy.

March 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. okieoneshinobi

it is great that someone other than an American is in charge. I figured it would be a NATO effort, but it would still be an American in charge. Great job Canada.

March 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. crazy canuck

Lets get r done ☺

March 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rose-Marie Larsson

As a Canadian, I'm ashamed of my country now taking the lead on bombing a defenceless country that hasn't done a thing to us. Shame, shame, shame! The "responsibility to protect" means protecting the Libyan armed rebels with the world most powerful air cover, while killing young Libyan men who are doing their duty as soldiers in the Libyan army. The US, UK and French bombs are already killing Libyan civilians. Now one of my countrymen will lead he increased bombing, killing and destruction effort. God protect us against such protectors!

March 25, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • adrifter

Hasn't done a thing to us? Probably technically true if you define 'us' as just Canadians. I'm a Canadian and I define 'us' as people of the world. Gadhafi is ordering the killing of innocent people in his country, and I'm proud my country is involved in stopping that outrage to humanity.

March 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Rose-Marie your probably a Liberal, who probably wouldn't have called for military intervention in Rwanda too. Freakin hippy.

March 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott (A proud Canadian)

I cannot say how strongly I disagree with you and am glad that I can cancel your vote as a Canadian myself

March 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Microbial

Lets not bring political affiliations into this. I'm very left wing and yet I support this military action and view it as a peace keeping mission. Those people would have been slaughtered in Benghazi without the coalition support. I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night knowing that we did nothing to help.

March 26, 2011 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Socks

I'd just like to know when all these countries are going to send their jets into the Ivory Coast? 1 million people fleeing the country.. But I guess they don't have any oil, so who cares I guess.

March 26, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |