Colorado dispensary selling 'Joints for Japan'
Compassionate Pain Management is donating its proceeds from marijuana joint sales to Red Cross relief efforts in Japan.
March 25th, 2011

Colorado dispensary selling 'Joints for Japan'

Lakewood, Colorado (CNN) - When the earthquake hit Japan, Shaun Gindi knew he wanted to help.

"I couldn't believe the devastation. I watched everything get wiped away. Their whole lives were gone," he said. "There was a moment where I started looking at ways to fly over there, ways to somehow get there to help out."

Gindi knows nothing about search and rescue, so he soon abandoned that plan. But he is an expert in one area: medical marijuana.

He runs two dispensaries in the Denver area called Compassionate Pain Management. They legally sell marijuana to patients who have received a recommendation from a doctor.

He floated the idea of raising money for Japan on his dispensary’s Facebook page and got a dozen "likes" right away. He knew immediately that he could use his dispensary to raise money. Thus was born "Joints for Japan."

"What we're going to do is take all the revenue from the hand-rolled medicine, 100% of it, from this weekend and potentially for the next few weeks … and we're going to donate it to the Red Cross," Gindi said.

"Hand-rolled medicine" is medical marijuana-speak for a joint, or a marijuana cigarette. They contain half of a gram of marijuana and are the most popular item in the store. At $5 each, Gindi says, they sell thousands a month.

"We get a lot of people who just come in for these," Gindi said.

The most difficult part of the endeavor has been coming up with the fundraiser's name. Gindi’s business is legal under Colorado law. He pays taxes and has 18 full-time employees. But the industry still struggles for respectability.

With that in mind, Gindi rejected contenders such as "Bake for the Quake" and "Joint Relief."

Gindi hopes his fundraising efforts help bring a bit more respectability to the medical marijuana industry. But ultimately, it is the people of Japan he truly hopes to help.

"In Japan every day, the number of lives lost jumps up. Whatever we can do to help out, we’d like to do."

Post by:
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Japan • Medical Marijuana
  1. Leslie

I think john is cute very cute. How old are you john

March 25, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Susan

My ex has grown weed for years, in fact he chose that over his family. Now because its legal to grow he thinks he is some great philanthropist when in actuality he is still the same loser he has always been, only now he is a glorified loser! What a world we live in.

March 25, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • JG

LOL "he chose that over his family". I think you mean "I gave him an ultimatum, and when I didn't get the answer I wanted I took his kids away".

March 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Men just don't pack up and leave for no reason.... that's a female's job

March 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray

Good response, JG. Looks to me like her ex-husband has been somewhat vindicated, if you ask me. When the kids get older it'll probably be Susan who won't get to spend much time with them. I wonder if Susan has a similar negative opinion of someone who has a glass of homemade wine or beer when they come home from a hard day's work?

March 25, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

wow, check out all the misogynist replies! JG, You dont seem to realize the dangers involved with big $$ and weed! There are consequences to most things, some people can get greedy and try to rip off your $$ or weed or both and weapons can get involved and it can be quite dangerous. He proved himself how his business could endanger his family. He had a choice and it was his to make, I never gave him an ultimatum! As for your comments Ray, there is no vindication in losing your family life. His children were never denied their father,nor was he ever denied time with his children! I happen to feel fathers have rights regardless of their poor decisions. Also, I have no problem with people smoking weed for recreation or medicinal purposes. I happen to think weed is physically harmless. It does make you a little slow and stupid, but nothing wrong with stupidity, right gentlemen? As for my opinion on beer or wine, I think they are both fine in moderation( alcoholics are another problem) , so please dont put words in my mouth, I can speak for myself and say what i mean, so dont make assumptions. As for my children and my time with them, I have been their constant, the one who has ALWAYS been there for them and our relationship has been based on honesty and love. I am who i am and have never chosen to lie to them over anything i do, with all that being said,,, you guys can kiss my azz!

March 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Susan just owned that azz, gentlemen.

March 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Susan

You call the posters here misogynists, but what are you? What's the word for a man-hater? "Misanthrope" is taken to mean you hate all people. Guess the courts won't even give us a word for the hate we receive for having a penis, nevermind to actually deliver some justice to men who are torn from their families and stripped of their income. Unlike you though, I don't lump the opposite gender into one basket. Good luck finding a man to sympathize with your lot in life when you have no sympathy for theirs.

March 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

LOL@SUSAN...how very original of you to make a screen name in my honor just to reply. Why didnt you use your own name? I referred to the posters above as misogynists because like you, thats what they sounded like to me. I dont hate men for having a penis, I happen to like a man with a penis, ROFL. You moron, I did not lump your entire gender into a misogynist basket, although you do seem to have some issues with women! Also, I never asked , want or expect any sympathy. There isnt even any reason for sympathy. And fyi, I happen to be a very compassionate person, I just call things as I see them.....So again, with all this being said, you too can kiss my azz! hahahaaha, get owned and hapyy 420!~

March 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Symboy Bot

You didn't really make it clear how he chose growing pot over his family, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on that. You took on the misogynistic replys and repliers and I respect you for that. Good for you.

March 26, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Justice

@ Shane
    Look at the death and suffering caused each year at the hands of alcohol, compare those numbers to that of pot, and tell me how you justify your statement. And please don't give me a line about how these numbers would be comparable if pot was legalized, because that would prove just how ignorant you really are. 18000 in three years at the hands of the cartels and syndicates, if anything the deaths and suffering would decrease with legalization. I call upon all our seamingly intelligent politicians that run our country to stop this ludicrous.

March 25, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tracy

Medical marijuana is a really good alternative to "traditional" drugs the doctors hand out and it's side effects are an elevated mood and hunger, much better than the side effects of the crap the drug companies try to push. My husband suffered a head injury 3 years ago and has lived with a permanant headache since that day. Pot is the ONLY pain reliever his body can tolerate because he's very sensitive to side effects. Its time we legalize it so that my husband and all the other people who use weed responsibly, as a medicine, can do so without fear. But Washington won't listen to the people anymore, no matter how many of us say we want it legalized.

March 25, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jesslevel

shane ... dude...

March 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. David

I'm kind of liking the Bake for the Quake. @ Shane i sure am glad to see that the propaganda that you spill is finally being disproven and that people that actually believe it are vastly becoming the minority. You obviously must be a drinker.

March 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. David

HA HA THAT CHIC HAS ISSUES

March 25, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. David

@ Justice Well said

March 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. 1608

How would he ship it?

The feds would be all over him.

If not ship some to me, I'll tell you the city,state,p.o. box later.

March 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray

He's not actually planning on shipping the product ... just the proceeds from selling the product.

March 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. gabe

It's time to face facts.... there really isn't anything that bad in pot... I smoke on a daily basis and have never did anything harder... its time we get pot out there for everybody to use..." All we are saying...... is give weed a chance!" And its revenue is incredible... either this country can spend billions in fighting the drug... or make billions taxing it.... Washington is full of brains... but only a few use them...

March 25, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • www. BioTrackTHC.com

What's bad is there are a few companies that serve Bars and others that make Oxycontion that spend big bucks to keep this weed off the US market!

March 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gabe

@shane... take your head out the sand... God put it here for us.... are you not partaking in giving thanks for Gods gift to man... shame on you... hypocrisy for the herb was written in scripture... ur a hypocrite as is everyone else that judges ppl like me for partaking in the herbs God put here for man to use as meat.... HYPOCRITE!!!

March 25, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Runaway

good for the distributor. It is smart promotion. I love the haters who say it's a gateway drug or it causes cancer. Seriously, you are bringing up causing cancer as a reason to keep it illigal; give this arguement some thought and you will feel silly. #1 it doesnot cause cancer and #2 tobacco is perfectly legal. Just food for thought, the government made it illegal for no reason other than because they said it was.

March 25, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • www. BioTrackTHC.com

No one has ever died from Pot! Can't say that for the drinkers and pill popers

March 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Scott

Nicotine is a drug... its been classified as an "addictive drug" by the Food and Drug Administration but that isn't banned. Alcohol has been classified as an "addictive drug" by the Food and Drug Administration but that isn't banned either... both kill(cancer) and murders(drunks) entire families on a daily bases but MJ is picked on buy morons... go figure.

March 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Oh and another thing our fabulous government has done - a alcoholic can also claim that as a disability !!! Serious Shane you talk just like a politician - all a$$ no brain.

March 25, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Someone

I agree, nicotine, and alcohol are both killers whether those who use products such as these are addicted in many cases. On the daily basis, and there are statistics to show that people cause several if not thousands of people die each day because of alcohol related accidents. My father died due to alcohol. Nicotine is found in cigarettes, which causes cancer, not only to those who smoke the cigarettes, but those who are around the second hand smoke as well. What is wrong with the world if they think a "weed" God put on this earth is bad, but cigarettes, and alcohol are not? Like someone else posted, there are billions of dollars to be made on MJ. If the government was smart, they would take advantage of the thousands if not millions of people who are willing to give them money for taxes on the weed. If the shops that sell cigarettes sold weed, they would make more money quicker than what they do with the cigarette sales in the same amount of time by legalizing MJ.

March 26, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. 1608

Shane may have something here, after all that's how he got the pipe. Shane am I right?

March 25, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. billy

actually marijuana has been shown to help the body fight off cancer. im not just talking about smoking weed to help against nausea, there are studies that prove THC breaks down diseased and damaged cells, http://www.google.com

March 25, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |