McCain wants U.S. to go after Gadhafi
March 29th, 2011

McCain wants U.S. to go after Gadhafi

President Obama addressed the nation Monday about the United States' involvement in Libya, and he said the goal there is regime change without direct U.S. military force.

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, criticized the president's statement and says the use of military force to take the leader out of power shouldn't be taken off the table. He speaks to Christine Romans about Obama's address:

Post by:
Filed under: Libya • Politics • TV-American Morning
  1. American Idiot

Q. What would Reagan do?
    A. He would have called in the airstrikes the first day that the Mad Dog starting attacking civilians, which was very early on in this conflict.

March 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazz7

My brother was in the Army back in the 70"s, his nickname was MAD DOG, had it tatoed on his arm.

March 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Donna

One of Wilson's Points was the right of a people to self-determine their form of government. That was one of the foundational rights in the League of Nations and was carried over, in principle, to its successor, the UN. Another nation should not interfere with another nation's struggles to determine their form of government.
    Yeah, it would be better to stop ruthless tyrants like Pol Pot, Ferdinand Marcos, Pinochet, Saddam Hussein, etc. But what nation has the capability to ignore its vested interests in favor of a civilian population's right to determine the best leader for them? Certainly not the USA!

March 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Munkee

So we should sit around and watch genocide happen as long as it's not in our own backyard? I seem to remember a quote by a lovely guy by the name of Niemöller...

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out -
      Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out -
      Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out -
      Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak for me.

Who will be left to speak for you when the time comes? You can pretend what's happening abroad doesn't effect you, but eventually you'll learn it does.

March 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. popeye

Ok munkee you want to foot the note because I don't and what will we gain?I've seen homeless people living in card board shacks with little or no heat,food or clothing no running water in ten inches of snow ,temps way below freezing you want to know where! west bank of the mississippi st louis usa, but who cares right go head spend all the money we dont have no one hear needs nothing ! bout too open my can of spinach and fill my pipe.

March 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Donna

The reason the color revolutions in the former Soviet republics and the successful revolutions we've seen lately in the Middle East have been so successful is that they got the police and military on their sides. When the police and army refuses to follow orders of a repressive regime you have a relatively peaceful transition in power. What we're seeing in Libya is the powerful hold the Gadhafi family has over those who are well armed enough to suppress the supporters of revolution. Until the Libyans can get enough of the army and police on their side, their revolution will continue to be violent.

March 29, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. popeye

If it was just about crimes against humanity I could see it but its not if that was the case we would be in so many places you could not count them on your toes & fingers get your heads out off the brain wash'n machine!

March 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. popeye

If it was just about crimes against humanity I could see it but its not if that was the case we would be in so many places you could not count them on your toes & fingers get your heads out off the brain wash'n machine its about oil !

March 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. popeye

well munkee maybe that guy should have found jesus!

March 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Munkee

Seriously? I've, for one, have had enough of your inane comments. Do I really have to spell it out for you?
      If you want to get all Christian about it, if you ignore the plight of others who will care about your plight? Who will come to your aid when you're being slaughtered for demanding even a basic semblance of freedom?
      You feel cozy and safe tucked behind your laptop/PC, but when the revolution comes to your doorstep (and it will, eventually) what will you do? Who, if anyone, will help you when you are being wronged?
      Frankly, we'd all be better off if people like you crawled into a hole and stayed there.

March 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Munkee

PS – I think Pastor Martin Niemöller know Jesus better than you do after being imprisoned in concentration camps for over 8 years. Maybe you could learn something from him.

March 29, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. popeye

@justice thats right as right can be, but I bet all the warmongers would disagree!

March 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Planet X

Israel is becoming a nation. http://nopolicestate.com

March 29, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. popeye

live for today because tomorrow may not be here at this rate.

March 29, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. trio

Mostly dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. popeye

@ planet x Thought that happend after WW11?

March 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. American Idiot

Gadhafi vs. McCain. No holds barred. That'll settle it. My money's on McCain.

March 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. trio

dumb mostly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 29, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gadhafi

Listen you Americans are all idiots, I'm not Saddam, you will never succeed here, you mess with the wrong guy and now you will pay, I'm asking my brother Osama to help me bomb your ass

March 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |