Sources: Hole in US Airways jet caused by bullet
This US Airways 737 was grounded in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Monday after a small hole was found in its fuselage.
March 29th, 2011

Sources: Hole in US Airways jet caused by bullet

A hole in a US Airways jet that landed in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Monday was caused by a bullet, two government sources tell CNN.

The sources say a bullet has been recovered inside the Boeing 737-400.

The aircraft had flown to Charlotte from Philadelphia and was being prepped for another flight on Monday when the pilot discovered the hole above a passenger window toward the back of the plane, according to airline officials. The airline pulled the plane from service and called in the FBI.

"We do not believe it's terrorism related," said one of the government sources. "It appears to be a random event. We do not believe the plane was targeted."

One source told CNN that officials believe the bullet was fired in Charlotte after passengers had exited the aircraft.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Air travel • North Carolina • Travel
  1. Stillie

You'll shoot your eye out kid.

March 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Well yes ,clearly a hole in an airplane would be scary . What I meant was, do you think it was done by a group with an agenda? I was thinkin some (ahem) people maya been plinkin off rounds in the back yard?

March 29, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kim

CRAZY PEOPLE ARE BOLD AND HAVE NO RESPECT FOR OTHERS JUST INSANE!

March 29, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jazz7

that's plausible

March 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Raven! Baby! Wayyyy too long! How ya been, my Alaskan friend?
    Hidey ho to you, too, good neighbor Jazz7!

Actually, raven, I have to agree with you...I don't think it was domestic terrorism, just a stray bullet fired by some yahoo, as American Idiot pointed out. Though they don't necessarily have to be NRA, just dolts. (Good Green Day reference, btw, AI. Don't know if you were going for that, but that's what I always think of....)

And hello to Herbert, too, my little Chalupa! 😉

March 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Herbert

Hi banasy. Don't think it was terrorism either.

March 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. raven

Banasy !! How are ya? I missed ya,sista! been doin a lotta gigs so i been too tired ta post. My guys also a flier and takes forever doin pre-flight checks. after readin this i can see why .

March 29, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

And I always thinka Green Day when A.I.posts too .love it !

March 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. raven

And Herbert, I just noticed your post ,that was rully sweet,thanks !!

March 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

Missed you too, sweetie! I thought all that fracas over my name scared you away, but I'm glad it didn't! I don't get mad any anyone here, especially when I know that you're a pretty sincere person. And I've never been mad at my buddies here...and you all know who you are!

Glad you're doing lots of gigs...may all your endeavors be successful! Yay!

March 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

@philip (when he gets back, of course) I only have your safety in mind...I would be lost without my CO GTG! XO

March 29, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

I tried to post a long-winded response that ended with a crow being shot out of the sky and Red Garner (RIP) explaining to his boy "You didn't shoot that crow. He flew into your bullet" but it didn't go through. (to aid in visualizing how hard it would be to hit a flying aircraft unless you were really close to the runway as it landed or took flight) But noooooo. We need more better technology applied here Mz. CNN. you got it....give it to your faithful.

March 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Also included in the original was a hi and a hug for banasy. Nice having her around. Let's talk about her like she isn't here. lol (smile)

March 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Patty

Hey!!
    This is not the social media!!!! Take it somewhere else.!!!

March 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |