Tuesday's Most Intriguing People: Libyan woman, Libyan prof, Wal-Mart greeter
Eman al-Obeidy shouts to international journalists on Saturday that she was raped by Gadhafi's brigades.
March 29th, 2011

Tuesday's Most Intriguing People: Libyan woman, Libyan prof, Wal-Mart greeter

EMAN AL-OBEIDY

Her location remains unknown days after she burst into a Tripoli hotel that houses foreign journalists, screaming that she had been raped for days by Moammer Gadhafi's brigades. Al-Obeidy was heavily bruised and bleeding, hysterical and crying during the incident on Saturday. Watch the scene. Libyan officials roughly led her out of the hotel after a violent scuffle with journalists who were trying to protect her. She was forced into a car and driven away and has not been seen since. On Tuesday, the men accused of raping al-Obeidy filed counter-charges against her for slander, a Libyan government spokesman told CNN. Watch CNN's Nic Robertson report this development. Al-Obeidy's mother said Monday that her daughter is being held. But the Libyan government claims al-Obeidy was released and is at home with her family. When al-Obeidy was being rushed out of the hotel by Libyan authorities, she shouted to journalists that if they didn't see her again, "then that's it!" CNN photojournalist Khalil Abdallah, who witnessed the violence at the hotel, said he fears for the woman's safety. When the Libyan authorities told reporters that they would see her again, Abdallah recalled, "We have been told that we'd see people again, but we never do."

ALI TARHOUNI

The Libyan professor taught economics at the University of Washington but is now in Libya appointed to the opposition's shadow government as finance minister. Tarhouni, 60, returned to the war-torn country a month ago. He had been exiled for the past 35 years. Tarhouni discussed with journalists challenges that the opposition movement faces. "The process was and is very chaotic," he said. His students were stunned by the sudden departure of their instructor, the Seattle Times reports.

BETTY DUKES

The Wal-Mart greeter is the plaintiff whose discrimination claims against Wal-Mart have reached the U.S Supreme Court. Oral arguments begin Tuesday in the case which is the largest class-action employment lawsuit in U.S. history. Dukes and other accuse Wal-Mart of discriminating in pay and promotions based on employees' gender. Dukes worked for Wal-Mart since 1994. She said she was paid significantly less than men with less seniority who were performing similar work, and that she was passed over for several managerial promotions.

1. raven

So ,to add insult to injury ,the offenders are suing HER ?? sigh ....

March 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rebecca

Any word from Women for Women International? I'd like to see them get involved in the case of Eman al-Obeidy.

March 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

I have contacted several women's associations asking if they are planning any type of a unified approach against the plight of Eman and thousands of other women just like her in the Middle East. I am hoping for at least a comment in the press from the American Muslim Women's Association. Why the silence here in the US? Are these women still afraid of the men in their lives???

April 1, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. Spock

Hi raven, its been a long time since we argued, now tell me if you doubt my word, seems you didn't trust me, I proved you wrong.

March 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ThomasD

Yeah, Raven, they'll counter-sue. And in a nation like Libya, they'll quite probebly win and she will be punished. Thats if they allow her to live at all. If you make trouble for them, especially if you're a woman, chances are you won't survive.

March 29, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ThomasD

Sue walmart? Good luck with that. http://www.walmartsucks.org

March 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Hi ThomasD!! I was thinkin the same thing : At this point I hope she makes it out alive . And Spock, Im not sure what you mean ?

March 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Spock

Don't remember? About posting names

March 29, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ThomasD

Good t see ya, Raven. Yeah, Im pretty concerned for her. Not much protection or rights for women in a place like that. Guess thats the kinda thing they're fighting for.

March 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. American Idiot

Libyan Wal-Mart? I don't get it.

March 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

American Idiot, there are two different lawsuits ,one in Libya one against Wallys .lol . And Spock, I do remember that. Never said I doubted ya tho. And does anyone member what happened to the cab driver that got taken after giving a ride to the CNN crew ? I hope hes alright,too .

March 29, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

and I agree :I doubt anyone would win a lawsuit against Wallys. Didnt they just can 3 employees for STOPPING an armed man in one of their stores because it was against one of their policies ?

March 29, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ThomasD

Yeah something like that. Many have sued walmart but its very rare that it goes anywhere. Some good examples on the site I posted above.

March 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Herbert

raven: Yes, I read the poor taxi driver was still being held captive. Hi Dr. Spock. Where is your spaceship? How is Captain Kirk?

March 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

Hi, raven, ThomasD, Spock.

I am just afraid that poor Libyan woman will never be seen again, just as her family fears. The Libyan government has already contacted her family saying "get her to change her story, and we will get you a new apartment, set you guys up with $, etc. Just tell her to drop the story." I hope she is being treated well, but given Gadhafi's history, it won't play out nicely.

As for WallyWorld, I hope the best for this suit, but lawsuits involving WalMart has a way of just fading away quietly into the sunsets...I have heard many stories about this subject over the years, but nothing ever seems to change. Ah well...

March 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

Herbert! That's all, Herbert!

March 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |