Virginia Tech fined for failure to provide timely warning during shooting rampage
Virginia Tech will be fined for waiting too long to provide warnings during the 2007 shooting rampage.
March 29th, 2011

Virginia Tech will be fined $55,000 for waiting too long to provide timely warnings about a shooter on the loose during a 2007 rampage that killed 32 people, the U.S. Department of Education said Tuesday.

A report released last year on the incident found the school in violation of The Clery Act, which requires colleges and universities to disclose information about crimes on or near their campuses.

Read the department's notice to Virgina Tech

The university said it "respectfully disagrees" with the ruling and plans to appeal.

"As we noted before, neither the Department of Education nor the Clery Act defines 'timely.' The university actions on April 16 were well within the standards and practices in effect at that time," the university said in a statement.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. Remy

That's fine and I'm sure it gives someone a warm and fuzzy but, what are they going to do with the money and how does it help the the response time?

March 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jo

I worked at the corporate research center when this happened. I am not sure who told the story about the texts and phone lines being jammed, but that isn't true. The fine I suspect happened because the first victims were around 9 or 10 am, killed in the dorm. Neither the police nor the college notified anyone about those first killings, they didn't lock down the campus, they didn't really do anything, they thought it was contained to the dorm. Now we know they were his first victims, and if the campus had been locked down and secured, there wouldn't be 32 more victims. And that is not counting the 25 or so that were wounded and lived. The police were ill equipped for this type of tragedy, neither the Tech police, Town police, or state police moved fast enough. You don't expect it in a small town, but nonetheless, you do expect the police to do SOMETHING.

March 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hokies United

The school sent out emails about the shooting in West Ambler before the Norris Hall shootings.

Also, I don't know a single person (myself included) who was able to get out a call or a text for hours once the news broke around campus.

March 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kim

People are very crazy the shooter was out of touch with reality and the people at the school didnt have a ideal just how insane this person was you just dont know. You want better measures to be taken for times when a weirdo snaps and goes on a killing rampage. Of course people want something done to help prevent these kind of killing sprees I dont know if fines after the facts are the solution. They need to stop the nutjobs before they are allowed to injure people. Prevention on all levels is whats needed. PREVENTION

March 29, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Col. Bat Guano

How are you supposed to prevent it? Round up all of your so called "weirdos" and shake them down? Profiling the people you consider "nut jobs" or "weirdos" only perpetuate this and increases their resentment towards society.

March 30, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

My sympathy and condolences to the families of those injured and killed on that horrible day.

However, this brings home a fact that is starting to spread across campus' everywhere: carrying concealed. The debate goes on and on, but I wonder how many lives could have been saved if some kind of policy were in affect?
    I think the whole fine thing was due to VT's reluctance to bring in outside help, and in the end, that reluctance cost many more people to be hurt that could have been avoided. Just my opinion, though.

March 29, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brian

How ridiculous, school is to blame for some crazy guy shooting everyone? I don't think so.

March 29, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Katie

I get the non-compliance thing, but wouldn't that money be better spent on training programs and maybe more usable infrastructure to deal with an incident if, God forbid, it ever happens again? I think Virginia Tech learned their lesson. I just don't think the right punishment for them mishandling the situation should be monetary. It doesn't seem appropriate.

March 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Teen Age Mutant Rodent Bung Super/Fighters

@ bloggers tell frenchy we went to help Mumar fight the forces of evil ! Rodent-bung Super-fighters Get Ready For Launch !!!!

March 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

My bottom line is: this was a horrendous tragedy that has more far-reaching effects than anyone bargained for. The families of the slain and injured are going through such physical and emotional pain that cannot be fathomed, and are going to be going through it for years to come. My heart goes out to all of them, and my sympathy to the families of all involved. Hindsight is always 20-20, and there will be solutions eventually, but no amount of school fines or lawsuits is going to take away the heartbreak of what happened that day.

VT, et al, I'm so, so sorry for these events.

March 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. raven

55 Grand ?? If one of my loved ones were hurt or injured in that attack, I would be insulted . How did they (whoever THEY are ) come up with this figure ?

March 29, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. vrim

Inept police work that day.

March 30, 2011 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  11. DigitalOne

We are overlooking something... Thank God for the internet. What, they should announce it on the loud speaker?

March 31, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |