On the Radar: Baseball, lottery millionaires, Tea Party rally
C.C. Sabathia is the Opening Day starter for the New York Yankees against the Detroit Tigers today.
March 31st, 2011

On the Radar: Baseball, lottery millionaires, Tea Party rally

Opening Day: The first pitches of the 2011 Major League Baseball season are at 1:05 p.m. ET today as the Washington Nationals host the Atlanta Braves in the National League and the New York Yankees welcome the Detroit Tigers in the American League.

Four other games follow, including the defending World Series champion San Francisco Giants traveling down the West Coast to face the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Check out the predictions of SI.com experts for the season, and see SI.com's predictions right through the 2011 World Series as well as Tom Verducci's video previews of what to expect from each Major League team.

MegaMillions winners: The winner or winners of a $319 million MegaMillions lottery jackpot are expected to be announced during a press conference at 10:30 a.m. today, said New York Lottery spokeswoman Carolyn Hapeman.

They are rumored to be seven IT specialists from New York state's Division of Housing and Community Renewal, said Emanuel Biondi, a public employees federation council leader for the agency.

The drawing was held Friday night. Last-minute ticket sales increased the jackpot from $312 million to $319 million, the New York Lottery said.

If the winners chose the cash option when buying the ticket, they will receive a one-time, lump-sum payment of $202.9 million. That amount reflects all the cash in the Mega Millions pool and is the sixth-largest jackpot in its history, according to Hapeman.

Tea Party rally: The Tea Party Patriots Continuing Revolution Rally is at noon ET today on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. The conservative group is pushing federal lawmakers to enact spending cuts.

The rally comes eight days before Congress' most recent temporary spending measure is set to expire. If a new plan isn't approved by April 8, some government services and offices would shut down until a plan is agreed.

Republicans are pushing for about $61 billion in cuts overall, while Democrats say they will accept only a fraction of that.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Lotto • On the Radar • Politics • Sports
  1. all for one

Rumor is this job is an ergonomic disaster. Constantly swinging liners around in an awkward position. Also, exposed router bits are constantly flailing flesh.
    After a few weeks the wage slave realizes he is financially, physically and mentally broken. The company moves on to the next desperate sucker.

March 31, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • john

I shouldn't be surprised at your words, but I am. Some work is difficult to perform. Not all people can perform all jobs. I thought the unions drove away the jobs in the steel industry. Now I am beginning to think it was this kind of mind set. Let me get this right – people do marathons and tri-athalons and play football and such for fun, but somehow likely the same people find difficult work unacceptable?

March 31, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. all for one

We need to bring back the work contract that pays people enough to live without being on "assistance." Can you imagine running on a concrete floor all day, working your fingers to the bone for 12 hours, then needing assistance?
    Get bent creep.

March 31, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • john

I never heard of such a thing as a "work contract" for entry level positions. My grandparents marched in the protests in Lawrence (Bread and Roses) so I have a good understanding about difficult work. What is asked of people now, with all the regulations and agencies watching over the work, doesn't come close to being to difficult to perform for most able bodied people.

March 31, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. Wulf

Two things give tradition a bad name in this country, Baseball and the United States Senate.

March 31, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • john

I love baseball, especially since I heard today they will be selling mixed drinks at Fenway...

March 31, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. MIke

Great, another season of baseball. There goes ESPN. I have to watch all the boring baseball highlights before I can see highlights from the other interesting sports. Baseball, so boooring.

March 31, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. all for one

You may be posting from the comfort of a cubicle chair at a do nothing job, for great pay. Good for you. Tales of parents hard work aside, please take off the rose colored glasses, examine the true effectiveness of regulations supposedly helping workers, and stroll a factory floor. The reality might surprise you. And this is the reality for the 11 percent of people lucky enough to have a manufacturing job.
    Look, it's not a perfect world. We can do better.

March 31, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • john

Nice try. My parents came here from another country and worked to become citizens. They both worked entry level jobs for most of their lives. I dropped out of school to work an entry level job to help out in a paper mill. I am sure you would have called this job dangerous and more than difficult to perform, but I needed it and was grateful to have it. In my 30's I obtained my GED, then attended night school. Now, after years of paying my dues I am lucky enough to have a nice job, but I do not kid myslef to think my job can't go away through no fault of my own. If that happens I will perform "work". in any place I can obtain a job – entry level if need be. People owe me nothing and I owe people nothing. I pay more than my fair share of taxes.

March 31, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. all for one

You are a funny guy tom.

March 31, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. all for one

That would make you into. Nec'ro_phlia. What ever blows your skirt up.

March 31, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. Add in the paper :)

Whats wrong with that picture? TRUE socialism is a little like the sun as impossible to stop and tax free. Tax as defined by criminals is a penalty based sports game. THE trucks look more like dinosaurs every single day. I saw one in a truck museum... With an ad.. Very impressive. 🙂

March 31, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. ole lady

@tom. With stupid comments like that you should SHUT UP!!

March 31, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. all for one

No problem with you John. I like the way you think. Happy to hear you still have an ear to the ground.

March 31, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. tom

@ole lady.. Are you jealous? If you want I can fukk you

March 31, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. tom

@all for one... I don't mind if she's dead. She must have a nice dead ass

March 31, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. tom

@all for one... Pls give me the name of the cementery so I can go dig her out. She would be very happy to sukk dikk

March 31, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. RalphS

I agree that many of the principals of the Tea Party are sound, particularly the financial concerns. The problem with the whole Tea Party movement, in my opinion, is how its perceived mainly due to its lack of educated leadership. Also, thier tone comes accross as being negative and at times filled with hate, and that may not be thier intent. That aside, solutions need to be offered. However, real viable solutions can only come from truly educated organizations (not just those with advanced schooling, but those who understand things globally). Without mentioning specific individuals, I have not yet seen real leadership from this group, and that is unfortunate because there could be some intellegent debates if htere were.

March 31, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. bob

@Scottish...Hi, thanks for leaving me hanging yesterday. I miss talking with you

March 31, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Hey buddy you left me first. I saw your post much later and thought you were gone. Did not post any where after that. I just saw this one as I was responding to John.

March 31, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |