Child killed in school bus wreck
April 1st, 2011

Child killed in school bus wreck

One child died and several were injured Friday in Bolivar County, Mississippi, when a school bus collided with a tractor-trailer on a foggy stretch of road, officials said.

The bus was carrying elementary-school and high-school students when the accident happened around 7 a.m. Friday, said Cedrick Ellis, superintendent of the Shaw School District, in Shaw, Mississippi.

A "younger child" was killed in the accident, said Dr. J.O. Trice, a deputy county coroner.

Ellis said the bus and a tractor-trailer loaded with gravel collided, causing both vehicles to overturn.

The Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol is investigating, Ellis said. It was not clear if the fog contributed to the crash.

Filed under: Mississippi
  1. Sarah McMillian

Just my opinion, but sounds like both drivers were probably going too fast.

April 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. E-Quality Thinkin'..

Idiots! "those spouting opinion of that which u have not knowledge" Could you drive the bus, with 72 kindergartners 'belted' in, which may be engulfed in flames? Stalled, Disabled, Trapped? ..On Train-Tracks? Of Course Train is coming ~ 2min.24seconds ..Tic-Toc?! (2second's) per 'belted' child? (Bus Driver, Primary Distraction?) Parents think'n they have-A-clue! A Bus has exits in the front, side, rear, and top! Also, there are 24 windows available as exits – 29 Exits in all! The main exits primarily are used by 1st responders To Get-In-To the Bus! Providing Access to Assist in the Safe evacuation of your child.. (buses do-not roll-over) Top 2/3rd('z) Air! They will 'topple' over to one Side! Do you really want your child 'belted' into the window seat.. tearing-up; against concrete.. how'bout that Big-Rig.. pushing the bus 60mph down the fwy-grinding your 'belted' child's face into the road way? *Bus-Driver's don't get speed'n tickets! They get 72 counts child endagerment! "My-Fear"? A Child in Your Car ! !

April 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Natattack

I keep seeing all these articles about school bus drivers wrecking recently. I just wish to share my own close call with a school bus driver who endangered my life. I was waiting at a yield sign on a service road that runs alongside one of the busiest roads in town. I didn't see anybody in the turning lane trying to turn out in front on of me from the main road, so I started to make my turn to the left. All of a sudden, a local school bus swerved in to the turning lane at the last second, no blinker, and made a turn, almost t-boning my car. My very SMALL car. Somehow I managed to pull some sort of James Bond maneuver with my car and somehow ended up in the Big Lots parking lot to the right, not the left of me, which was the direction I had been attempting to turn in. I think these school bus drivers should be evaluated on their skills every six months, it may help cut down on close calls and incidents like this where a child lost their life.

April 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cat Woman

So sad.....we just had a bus wreck in MS a few months back where a 18 wheeler hit the bus from choctaw county head on a bridge and killed the coach that was driving and a teacher sitting in seat behind the drive God bless them for their loss...

April 1, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Many of you are asking about school bus seatbelts. I invite you all to research how the few companies that make our schoolbus came into being. And if you reach the same conclusion that I did (that it is due to corporate greed and the fear that drivers will be overwhelmed by unruly brats who don't wanna wear the belt)...vist your local school district admin. and ask abouut it. I promise not to laugh when I told you so. (that you get the run-around)

April 1, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

There are a select few families that own the distribution rights to school busses! They do nothing and bank. One of them has a huge building in Denver full of classic and vintage autos, etc. His son is a famous motocross racer. anyway...if we put seatbelts on the bus, he might hafta cough-up a Porche 959 or two. So that ain't gonna happen.

April 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mmmmm

When the fog is heavy emergency lights should be blinking. The drivers shouldn't travel faster than they can see...

April 1, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

We drop our kids off at the bus stop in our 5 star ride, yep...we do! We could survive a Mack Truck broadside on the way. We wave bye bye as our child boards 1970s tech box rail death trap. Well, compared to the new Volvo it is. Plus I guarantee most of US experienced drivers can out-drive a school bus driver. No offense Mrs. Garner. She and her hubby "Red" (RIP) drove kids from atop the Colorado National Monument (Glade Park, CO) all the way down dangerous icy switch-back infested roads to Grand Jct. They did this faithfully for many many years. And they did it for free. They knew that stretch a road better than anyone, and felt it their civic and neighborly duty and honor to insist that they drive. Red was one hella man. He'd make two of you and me. And you shouldda seen him racing flat track. He could flat drive.

April 1, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

Anyone argueing against the immediate and instant passage of laws requiring anything transporting our kids be held to a higher standard than that which we hold ourselves....the you can kiss my patootie.

April 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Concerned Mom

My sympathies/condolences go out to the family of the dead/injured children. Why dont we stop arguing/finger pointing for a sec, and remember them. I cant believe the mentality of grown adults these days. As the mother of 7 kids, I have dealt with many school buses/drivers. We need to study both the pros/cons of the situation first, then include all possibilities/variables. Then try to figure out a solution. Politics/religion really have nothing to do with subject. Scientific fact/studies will say it all.

April 2, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. Concerned Mom

Also,I would like to add the simplest solution to the whole problem. How about all you who whine/argue/complain, just hop in your cars, and drive the kids yourself~and heck, why not take the neighbors kids too? I mean its just a thought. If you'd just stop all the madness/insanity/craziness and band together, what do you know? You just might get some results.Just a thought... And dont forget to remember the dead child. Do it for her/him, and all the other kids/adults who have also died.

April 2, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. James

Why does the government have to mandate the use of seatbelts? If the school system wants belts they simply need to purchase them when the purchase the bus!

April 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. HMAN

it's unsure whether or not fog played a role.......really?? investigators arn't sure about that yet!

April 3, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. rb

Fate? Are you serious? Another fanatical religious nutjob ... Fate? Unbelievable!

April 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joel Raes

Very sad to hear about this tragic accident. I hope they can find out the exact causes.

Thanks, Joel Raes