Gotta Watch: Jessica Lynch then and now
Private Jessica Lynch is rescued by fellow soldiers April 1, 2003 at a hospital in Nasiriyah, Iraq.
April 1st, 2011

Gotta Watch: Jessica Lynch then and now

A terrified but brave young soldier was rescued by her fellow soldiers in an Iraqi hospital eight years ago today. You may remember Private Jessica Lynch's story as the first successful rescue of a female prisoner of war. We've put together some video that tells her story and where she is now.

Daring nighttime rescue – Video leaked several years after her rescue shows the moment when U.S. military came to her aide after being held in a hospital for nine days.

Lynch sets the record straight– Today, Lynch is a far different woman than the frightened 19-year-old in the video above. She chats with HLN's Joy Behar about her controversial homecoming and her status as an American war hero.

Post by:
Filed under: Gotta Watch • Iraq • Military • Veterans
  1. WDrad

Look at the USAF PJ taking care of business

April 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. brathead

You people saying all of the negative remarks about this story should be drafted into the military. Get your a$$ out there on the front lines and I guarantee you that you change your tune really quick! It doesn't matter what her race was or is for that matter. There are so many people of every different race out there giving their lives for our freedoms. We are not in the times of slavery or civil rights for that matter. All soldiers are treated equally. Because of the hatred that spews from your mouths, our country will never get over all of the racism of our past.

April 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. thatguy

I just want everyone to remember the reason that she was captured in the first place. This soldier and the majority of her companions that day were lost and couldn't find their way out with the help of radio's and maps. Also once they had made contact with hostiles none of these soldiers maintained their weapons to be ready for a fight. She has admit to not having a clean or even functional knowledge of her rifle prior to her being in Iraq. The army is a joke and my main point is that believe it or not if you join an armed service there is a chance to be on the ground in combat and that this girls superiors failed her not only by lack of training but understanding the generation of idiots today's average american are. Thanks.

April 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. onewhowasthere

The only yenta's here are the ones that say poor Jessica Lynch, read my prevous post and you will then see what I am saying. Also apparently you all don't know, didn't realize, or just don't care but Mr Larry Flint is in possesion of a certain video tape that was shot just prior to the 5th of the 52nd ADA and 50th maint co leaving for Kuwait, of which little miss Jessica can be seen in a rather compromissing situation with 5 man of the unit all the while being engaged the the supply sgt of the Headquarters battery of 5-52. See again like I said those of you in the know bite off main stream media and sit there and say that there liberals and what not but your no better because you werent there you dont know and you never will understand. Sure this was alot of hype put forth by the government and the army, but it wasnt done to promote the war it was done to fend off the watch dogs to the truth as to what really happen March 23rd and so that no one including you poor souls would know that it was a captain that got all them soldiers killed and others took prisoner. Oh and by the way it was an Iraqis civilian that took her to the hospital for treatment, the reason why she wasnt under guard because she wasnt a prisoner. Her injuries while severe were sustained when the HMMWV was struck by a semi and crushed against a building. It was a civilian that went an told the military where she was once the republican guard in the area left. Again you just dont know, but keep being ignorant and buying off the governments brand. I guess it is true ignorance is bliss. Unfortunately i lived it and was there so I guess I am not so lucky.

April 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. God

Wow, the U.S. military had to rescue that poor girl from that bad modern hospital and from those evil western trained brown doctors who were doing everything in their power and modern medicine to torture their victim into recovery and health. I wonder who the soldiers in the hallway were gunning down in the meantime... maybe the security guards that any hospital employs, even here in the good ole U.S. of A.???

April 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. onewhowasthere

this is to that guy, got news for you she as well as the rest of the 507th maint company did not take care of there weapons while in theater that much is true, however she did have knowledge of her weapon it was her weapon that was assigned to her since she had gotten in the unit which she had been there almost a year. Further more one M16 is just like another one which she was trained to use while in basic training. To put down the military like you did you obviously have not served so I got this to say to you sir. Either you done the uniform and pick up a weapon and do a tour in a hostile area or keep that mess to your self because I lost a lot of good friends that fateful day in march to that ambush and I was in it myself. We did as we were trained dispite the troubles we had with the command element every soldier fight with honor and distinction and to have some dumb, uneducated individual like yourself dishonor the memory of them and every soldier that has fought and died for this country is not permited. Sure you can say what you will on here internet tuff guy but you know something everyone who reads what you wrote knows how much of a coward you are and how ignorant you and the others like you really are. One day you will be judged and when that day comes I hope I am there to see it.

April 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. EarthBrother

Lori Piestawa was the first female casualty in the war. Shoshanna Johnson was the other female POW along with Lynch.

April 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Soldier

Lets look at the Pentagon report and the fact found about that day. "Pentagon officials disputed a report appearing in the Washington Post that Lynch had fought back, and the first official report of Lynch's actions during her capture released by the Pentagon weeks later said that she did not appear to have fought back against her captors, in contradiction of earlier Pentagon press releases (it was later learned that the heroics initially attributed to Lynch had actually been performed by another soldier, Donald Walters, who was killed during the attack"
    She never fought till she was wounded. she gave up. the real hearo's fought and died that day, and do we hear anything about them???

April 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. onewhowasthere

I got an idea why not stop seeing them as women and seeing them for what they were at the time, THE WERE SOLDIERS, WARRIORS AND MEMBERS OF A TEAM!!!!!!!!!!! They swore an oath just like every other soldier to defend the US from all enemys foreign and domestic, they wore the same uniform, they bleed the same blood, ate the same chow.
    In the military were all green there is no race color, or gender. You do your job and thats it.

April 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • EarthBrother

I disagree. We must see them as women. History is made based on gender being that gender was the cause for discrinimation and laws preventing women from serving on the front line so to ignore gender is a denying the facts. Until men and women are treated as equals in the military, which they are not, then we must recognize these brave women as female soldiers and at this time it does MATTER.

April 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. onewhowasthere

How about giving credit to the Marine division that showed up and help pull the 507th out of there, bottom line they are the real heros out of the whole dang situation. If it had not been for them more would have either died or been taking prisoner. WOW this is what I served for, and people wonder why Washington is corrupt and why we are in the economic situation were in. Not everything is a conspiracy theory, yes the Pentagon distorted the events that took place but it was to over shadow the fact that the soldiers of the 507th did not maintain there equipment and that being a tragedy cause many to die on the 23rd of March. There is alot that could be said and probably should but none of you are reading what I am writing anyway so I guess it is what it is.

April 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • bohica123

I do not see why Marines feel they should get credit in every single piece of action they have been in. No offense but I believe the marines are over rated in some ways and that is not because I am prior Army. I have had relatives in the Marines as well. I also have friends that served in the seals and special forces, and I know of many assignments they have been on that saved more asses than most, but they do not get recongnized for it and they do not ask for recognition. They understand it is a job and they do not feel the need to be glorified. Key word in your post is helped. They did not do the job on their own and no one else is asking for credit.

April 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bohica123

If I recall right, this "hero" did not even fire a round while her fellow soldiers were trying to fight off the attack and died in doing so. She watched her fellow soldiers "friends" die while she coward.

April 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • SPC ME

Youre right, because she wasnt smart enough to clean her weapon so it jammed. I cant believe this is the treatment she got. Even when I was a civilian when I heard about this I was thinking to myself "why didnt they award the people who did the rescuing?"

April 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SPC ME

As a soldier in the army Lynch is a joke. We tell eachother, "Hey soldier, clean your weapon so that the enemy cant capture you. Because if he does and I have to go save your sorry butt then you'll get a medal of honor, and a book deal, and be looked up to by the nation who doesnt know any better".

April 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • JomoDaMusicMan

Actually, she was knocked unconscious therefore it did not matter whether her weapon was in working order or not. i admire her simply because she did not got along with the lies the media told that she was a hero. In Fact if she had went along with the lies the military produced about her she would have been given the Congressional Medal of Honor. SHE IS A HERO OF MORALITY. If u noticed the Black Woman Soldier who actually fired her weapon & was shot is never mentioned. ShoShonna Johnson or Washington. WHY IS THE MALE FEMALE NOT MENTIONED AS A HERO, WRONG COMPLEXION I GUESS

April 3, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. Don

This why it's a bad idea to send women into a combat zone. Most are a liability.

April 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bohica123

I understand everybody's reasoning on her weapon not being cleaned, no excuse in my book since that is part of being a soldier and against the manual or dash 10, but other weapons were available. In iraq, one of our convoy's was hit by a mass of I.E.D's and killed many of the guys. The gunner was thrown out of the truck into a canal. Under heavy enemy fire he jumps back into this burning humvee and gets on the 50cal, returning fire until helped arrived. He saved many of our guys. A soldier does not have the choice to fight. That is what WAR is about.

April 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. GoRobGo

Everyone's missing the point: She's a babe! Totally!! War, peace, politics, global-warming...it's all meaningless without exceptionally beautiful women with which to share the planet. Peace be upon you Ms. Lynch.

April 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |