Naval Academy expels more midshipmen for allegedly using 'spice'
April 1st, 2011

Naval Academy expels more midshipmen for allegedly using 'spice'

Five more midshipmen have been expelled from the U.S. Naval Academy for allegedly using "spice," a mixture of herbs and a synthetic chemical similar to the chemical THC in marijuana.

Last January, CNN reported seven midshipmen had been expelled as part on an investigation of spice use at the academy. Now a spokesperson at the Academy confirms the number of expulsions has reached 12.

"There have been four male 2nd class (juniors), six male 3rd class (sophomores), one male 4th class (freshman), and one female 3rd class midshipmen separated in conjunction with this investigation (totaling 11 males, 1 female)," according to Jennifer M. Erickson, an academy spokeswoman.

The 3rd class female was the most recent separation. She was expelled Monday.

The investigation of spice use at the academy began last fall and is continuing.

"We will not speculate about any potential, additional expulsions," Erickson said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Military • U.S. Navy
  1. Big Game James

Legalize marijuana all this goes away. They are expected to DIE for our country. And they are human. And in college on top of that. Legalize mary jane and put these chemical companies that make this crap out of business. The stress they are under is very high. The government knows they are going to do it. Control it. Tax it. Economics, baby! Economics!

April 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hasher Iva

I agree, legalize it. Treat it like alcohol or tobacco. Put a tax stamp on it and charge for it. That'll give the gov't another route to catch the bad guys. Remember, Al Capone wasn't convicted for all his criminal activities, he was convicted of tax evasion for not reporting his income from his criminal activities.

Just because it might become legal doesn't mean it'll be legal at any of the service academies. They are the equivalent of universities, but they are subject to the UCMJ.

April 4, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • USNA GRAD

Midshipmen are "working" 100% of the time they attend USNA.

They are held to a higher standard, and if cannot live up to that standard they should be expelled.

Midshipmen are expect to be better academically, morally, physically, and ethically than the typical American, typical college student, and the typical young adult. If they are not, then they should not be midshipmen. As these young people discovered.

April 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • muabdib13

Master Chief is it ok if we use marajuana for medicinal purposes? I was also wondering if you all have a jet ski program.

April 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ty

TO USNA GRAD-

So midshipmen are "ALWAYS" on their job. So when they are in a drunken stooper in uniform in public that is "OKAY" ??

DOUBLE STANDARD MY FRIEND!

April 12, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • USAFA 92

To Ty:

Yes...you are always on the job and under scrutiny. I suppose you would have to attend to understand. No surprises here either. The rules are well known from day one. And to respond to your question, a drunken midshipman out in public would be an issue as well. There is no double standard. If you get caught, there will be consequences. Can be as little weekend restrictions, to as much as expulsion as in this case. Lie, cheat, steal, do drugs at a service academy, you know the boot is coming. Should you feel sorry for them because that they got kicked out? No. They knew the consequences. You should pity them because they threw it all away.

April 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

Cannabis was effectively legal on Navy ships in the 70s. Ask guys that served then, the party got really really out of control. People were dying in accidents because of intoxication (a military ship is a hazardous place to make home). The Navy confronted the problem, coined the term Zero Tolerance, and kicked out everyone that wouldn't quit. It made the Navy better. Go ahead and legalize for the cillyvilians, but keep the Navy sober.

April 14, 2011 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Chance Gearheart, AAS, NREMT-P

This stuff isn't pot. It's not even close to it.

Atleast know what you're talking about.

April 16, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • ALTsmoker

Or you could just smoke beer hops, close flavor, close effect, no chemicals, cheap......

April 18, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

@ USNA GRAD,

You said, "Doctors and police officers are also under stress. Would you like them using when working?" If a cop or doctor wanted to get high on the job, they could just as easily buy illegal drugs, and probably easier than you or me. It is fallacious to suggest that if a drug is legalized, *everyone* will automatically start to use it. Do you support illegalization of cigarettes? Because you should, unless you dispute their adverse effects on public health. You are a fear monger and a hypocrite, sir.

April 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • USNA GRAD

@ Eric

You imply that I want to make all drugs illegal because I support the expulsion of midshipmen who deliberately flouted the rules they agreed to abide by. I think you are more concerned about the drugs than you are about the ethics and behavioral expectations that these midshipmen need to adhere to. I think my point went over your head.
      This is not a discussion about legal or illegal drugs, or rationality for the legalization of same. This is my support for a decision to expell midshipmen who are getting a 200,000 dollar or more scholarship based on my tax dollars (and yours by the way) while unable or unwilling to comply with regulations and rules they are supposed to adhere to and support as a future leader as an office in the Navy or Marine Corps.

@Ty
      No double standard at all. If the midshipmen fail to adhere to expected behavior, then they should be expelled or otherwise disciplined. Drunk in public whilst in uniform would apply.

April 23, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Angela

Sorry, legal or not, being in the military, there is no place for drugs. Midshipman should know better. You were accepted into the Academy for a reason. I can imagine showing up to work on a ship and having my co-workers "high", its bad enough try to get work done safely on a ship when everyone is sober, let along hung over, sorry, I would hope that sailors who continue to do drugs continue to be separated!!

April 25, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. anp2j

I agree w/ big game.

April 1, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. SazuMiano

Totally agree with Big Game James et al. Legalize marijuana.

April 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. francekiss83

Seriously? There are more things to worry about than fake pot. Abe Lincoln has been quoted talking about himself smoking weed. Legalize and there really wouldn't be any problems. Its not heroin.

April 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George W Bush

Now Albert,the American people have had enough of you. You have 48 hours to surrender your computer,otherwise I will send U.S. troops to get it.

April 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dick Cheney

Beautiful. :^)

April 23, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Shane from Toledo

I also agree with Big Game James. Legalize it!

April 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Eric

Legalize it

April 1, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jennifer Lopez

Shut up jerk. What's up with Albert?

April 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Martin Sheen

Albert. Come on big guy. Don't snort and type. Very dangerous.

April 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jennifer Lopez

I'm famous. Don't speak to me that way! I'm out of here. BTW, I really am J. Lo

April 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Who Cares

Leave, then.

April 20, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Albert

@Martin I wish I was snorting, no luck today on getting it, try later

April 1, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Snoop Snoopy Dog

Yo Albert Chill. Send you a limo on Sat. Ton of chicks and chicken feed. Gonna party all nite long

April 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Baron Harkonnen

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

April 1, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul Atreides

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain.

April 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chelo

Honor is the most important thing for a future navy officer. They will be in a war ship! They won't be for vacations, they need to be with 5 senses "on" ready for combat! That's the reason for eliminate "mary jane" from the naval academy

April 1, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary Jane

with that reasoning i guess you want alcohol and cigarettes illegal also? I'd rather have a stoner on duty than a drunk

April 14, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

My personal feelings about MJ notwithstanding, there is a reason that drugs are banned. We may not agree with them, but there are reasons, especially in any Military academy, that they are illegal.

That being said, I do agree that MJ should be legalized, and then taxed to the hilt, just like cigarettes and alcohol are. Put stringent restrictions in place, just like ciggys are, and it's a win-win situation for the gov't and everyone else.

April 1, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |