Naval Academy expels more midshipmen for allegedly using 'spice'
April 1st, 2011

Naval Academy expels more midshipmen for allegedly using 'spice'

Five more midshipmen have been expelled from the U.S. Naval Academy for allegedly using "spice," a mixture of herbs and a synthetic chemical similar to the chemical THC in marijuana.

Last January, CNN reported seven midshipmen had been expelled as part on an investigation of spice use at the academy. Now a spokesperson at the Academy confirms the number of expulsions has reached 12.

"There have been four male 2nd class (juniors), six male 3rd class (sophomores), one male 4th class (freshman), and one female 3rd class midshipmen separated in conjunction with this investigation (totaling 11 males, 1 female)," according to Jennifer M. Erickson, an academy spokeswoman.

The 3rd class female was the most recent separation. She was expelled Monday.

The investigation of spice use at the academy began last fall and is continuing.

"We will not speculate about any potential, additional expulsions," Erickson said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Military • U.S. Navy
  1. s p i c e 1

legalize it..

April 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

Wow, censoring the word sp!ce is the dumbest thing I've ever seen; and I've seen CNN do some pretty dumb things...

April 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

Marijuana ypu can say, but not sp!ce? Weird...

April 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

*you*

April 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JAZZ

Banasy 🙂

April 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

JAZZ. 🙂

April 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sunshine Girl

@Sheryl: Are you serious? Anything natural/herbal is ok? So I guess Heroin would be ok. Comes from the Opium Poppy. Natural plant. Or Cocaine. Comes from the Coca Plant. Also natural. Or 'Herbal'. That arguement just doeant make sense. What shape would our country be in with our soldiers running around on those drugs including MJ?

April 3, 2011 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Ty

drop joints not bombs and we wouldnt have war

April 12, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Beavis

Sunshine trim my toe nails heh heh

April 3, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. Butthead

Sheryl. Trim my toe nails heh heh

April 3, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey

I reread some of toenail stories this morning and it relieved some of my fatigue.
    Pizza, huh, is the popular Italian food mentioned here. I'm taking Lay's potato chips to go with the guide to Bavarian tourism.
    On my day off now, I'm going to try to assemble a coalition of estranged (busy) friends for a nostalgic deep-dish pizza outing. Too tired to hit the gym, although I'd feel better after going. Have to rest and grow sometimes.

April 4, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey

I started writing just now to say that I think all these drugs should be legalized. Enforce laws against crimes committed under their influence.
    Crime would go down if we could grow our own marijuana.
    I would not grow or use it: it bores me.
    In fact, I don't like being high–at all–and was just kidding about Veuve Clicquot. I almost never drink any alcohol–also, it wrecks the effects of lifting weights.
    Hey, Sheryl–where do you go to the gym?

April 4, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey

Hmm?

April 4, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. jake

It wasn't illegal at the time, so this is the most wrongful expulsion ever. Just another example of the US government infringing on personal liberties, sadly no one is strong enough to stand up against the wrong doers.

April 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chad

When you're in the military, you don't have the liberty of smoking up. They likely would have been expelled whether is was legal or not.

April 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. geno

Hey, I agree with you guys. Marijuana should be legalized, and so should heroin and cocaine, meth, whatever, you name it. Think how much free time our police would have if this were done. And for that matter, forget about drunken driving–most people driving drunk don't get in accidents, anyway, so why should we spend all this time and money on the few who do cause accidents. People are so old fashioned, good grief.

April 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Player One

sure no drugs.... just let them drink like fish because alchol doesnt impare thoughts or cause violent outbursts.

gimme an Xbox controller and a bag of weed and i can parallel park an aircraft carrier with one eye closed while passing the bong.

adapt.

April 7, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • 2little2late

You should put that on your resume..

April 10, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |