April 6th, 2011

Gadhafi letter pleads for stop to NATO bombing

Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi sent a letter to President Barack Obama urging him to stop the NATO bombings, a senior administration official said Wednesday.

Ex-U.S. Rep. Curt Weldon, who met with Gadhafi within the last decade, paid a visit to the Libyan capital with a cease-fire plan and a clear message to the embattled ruler that he must step down.

"It's a very solemn time because there's so much at risk here," said Weldon, who led a congressional delegation to Libya in 2004 and is visiting Tripoli at Gadhafi's invitation.

See CNN's full coverage of the Libya conflict

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Libya • TV-The Situation Room
  1. Clueless to world affairs

My big question is why this Ghadaffi guy doesn't like lesbians and is killing them?

April 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

We're damned if we do, damned if we don't. Just saying.

April 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. College guy chris

How can you put a price on people lives? Freedom is always going to come at a cost. I am proud to say that my tax money is going to help innoccent people recieve justice. I agree with statements about the United States dealing with problems in its own country but to ignore problems in the world would only be detrimental to itself considering how globally connected the world is today. Prayers and thanks go out to the troops who put their lives at risk so everyone including myself can reap the benifits of freedom.

April 6, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Name*obinna frank

I see why tyrants are always so stupid ghadhafi I requesting an end to nato bombing yet h is shelling his people who all rose and stood for a right course in the east. This crazy man must go .and then hold on a minute where is the united states who took the lead in libya look at what is going on now. Those crooks are taking the advantage to hit th rebels. Who are people from diffrent part of life. If the united states back down now it will back fire against us for not helping them in the times of need remeber who we are and what we stand for. As we speak mothers and fathers children and adults are being killed in libya let's not forget who we are. America don't forget what we stand for.

April 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jack

I'm not supporting Gaddahfi or his ways or anything. Hell, I think we should mind out business, save the hundred of millions of dollars we're spending there when we can use it to keep Washington DC from shutting down and fix our own nation's problems, and pretty much let them fight thaeir own civil war.

You know what's even more funny? Everyone here who's cheering on the rebels and calling Gaddahfi a terrorist and an anti-American doesn't realize the rebels are made up of Al Qaeda, a common enemy of the US and Libya.. If the rebels take hold of Libya, Al Qaeda and Osama will have a safe haven, a new home to build their terror-camps, and I promise you they'll denounce the United States in no time. This is what the CIA calls blowback, it happened in the 70's with Iran and now it's happening all over again.

Sorry to say this but most of you don't even have a clue on what you're fighting and cheering for...including your President. 🙁

April 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Why post the same post you made before? trying to avoid people making comments to your original post?

April 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AJ

The rate the worlds going right now I can't imagine it make another 50 years

April 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Looney Tunes

"I am Moammar Gadhafi. I draw a line of death in sand. You cross it, I kill you. I am Moammar Gadhafi. I draw another line of death in sand. You cross it, I kill you. I am Moammar Gadhafi. I draw yet another line of death in sand. You cross it....." You get the picture. 🙂

April 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ELMER FUDD

NO u don't, cause u can't get it OFF , just except it.

April 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

@College guy chris & SAM: beautifully said. Thanks for the thought-provoking posts. And I agree with both of you.

April 6, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Herbert

Anybody who wants these obscene bombings to continue cannot be true Christians nor have any human decency in them. These people are no better than Qaddafy whom they despise to the hilt!

April 6, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Herbert

Tell that to the right-wing thugs in D.C.! Your tea-party lingo has no place here!

April 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ELMER FUDD

Hey Herbert, agreed 100 on both posts 🙂

April 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

*Sigh*

April 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. VillagePeople

Wake up white people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mari

What makes you think the Libyan rebels are members of Al Quida? Have you been to Libya? Have you met the people?? I have... They are good people who are fed up with the oppression they have endured for years. Don't label people you know nothing about. It makes you sound stupid.

April 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • VillagePeople

I have been there too - they all smell.

April 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joel Raes

Bombs keep coming, this guy wont leave.

Thanks,