The list of collateral effects of a potential government shutdown keeps growing and people are none too pleased about it. Here are just a few of the negative impacts that could arise if Congress and the White House fail to reach an agreement on the budget (click here to view in chart form):
- The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid. Their staffers might be furloughed, though. That has prompted a few lawmakers to announceÂ they'll refuse shutdown pay,but even that has elicited critiques of political posturing.
- Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered nonessential and therefore, the first to be furloughed. That includes people who work in national parks because they'll be closed, ruining countless long family road trips. And it's not just the loss of income that hurts - for many, it's being labeled dispensable when they know their jobs are anything but nonessential.
- As the shutdown looms,Â some political leaders are taking the opportunity to fundraise and rally their supporters. The executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out an appeal asking for a minimum $5 donation saying the organization wants to raise $100,000 in the next 36 hours.
- You'll still get your Social Security checks but don't expect anyone to be around to answer your questions about benefits. The people who take questions on Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work and most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality.
- Various agencies with the Department of Health and Human Services will operate in a patchwork fashion. The National Institutes of Health will not acceptÂ new patients or start new clinical trials. The Food and Drug AdministrationÂ won't operate at full capacity but will have some inspectors on staff.Â As a result, all FDA inspections of food processing facilities and drug manufacturing plants will be prioritized by risk.
- Word is getting around that a government shutdown doesn't actually save taxpayers money. For one, it will cost the government money to ensure a smooth transition to a shutdown. Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park and DC's National Gallery of Art.
How would a government shutdown anger you?
They have most of it backwards!!!
When the government shuts down...
The law markers pay should be stopped (with no guarantee back pay).
National parks (and other revenue generating operations or tourist locations) should remain open!
This crisis is a direct result of the 111 congress run by the feminazi pelosi and dingy harry not passing a budget and Obamas reckless spending. So let's get it right.
Obama is doing nothing for this country except ruining it along with congress especially if this crap passes. worst mistake ever made was putting him in the white house. he is trying to turn this country's people on each other.
WTH?!? Were you under a rock during the reign of GW?! Yeah, sure – it's just Obama trying to ruin everything and turn people against each other. It couldn't be that Bush ruined every shred of progress made during his 8 years on the throne and that people expected Obama to wipe the slate clean in approximately 2 months. And certainly the gov't couldn't be on the verge of shutdown because neither dems or republicans can see past their own greedy, self-serving agendas and do something for the greater good.
i just paid 3.50 for 2 tomatoes at the grocery store... 3.00 of that goes to mexico. shut the gates and melt down the statue of liberty..
Thank you all
National Parks will be closed, ruining long family road trips???!! With the price of gasoline going up every day, who can afford long family road trips? Who can afford to drive to work and make it worth it?
Bill Clintonnnnnnnnn Helppppppp!!!!!!!!! Lol
I think the idea here is flexibility in thought and ideas.
No party, country or society can assume that certain way is going to be always permanent. We have to learn and adapt and that is what is very hard to digest for the masses when faced to so. Politicians will be the last people to tell you the real truth, media goes around the bushes in search of truth most of the time thinking it is doing some great service.
We as a society has tremendous amount of wisdom, and sense of democracy and what freedom means. However we are kind of brain washed by one party or other over fighting the same issues that they do not have solutions for.
A country like China can adapt and bring change at lightning speed to billion plus people in last 3 decades and we are able to do exactly the opposite because of chaos in Washington.
Not to justify how China does it, but their average citizen is better off than he was for sure.
There is no uprising which is the proof and burden on the government to keep it that way. (GET IT !! )
So coming to the point is old issues will not be resolved with old mind set and old schools of thought.
If things needs to be done that are in national interest and may not seem American to most of us may be required to be done.
You cannot sacrifice middle class here to create it around the world telling us that we would enable to do more business with their purchasing power. That is fools gold and China proved that.
All the billionaires who are responsible shipping hundreds of thousands of jobs will not be ready to move in those countries themselves. Well they are creating a situation where they will have to run for life if people here get more and more frustrated.
We have to get the jobs back period, how you do it. Well should not be that difficult for people who can start a war under false pretext.
We can produce enough to consume it, guess what will happen we may not see a new iPhone every year, will it be too bad ? Worse than not being able to get medicine or peace full suburbs.
We can built that damn iPhone here, and every other thing that has been shipped else where.
We buy same things 3 times from cheap Walmart because they are cheap, but guess what why the things do not last as they used to. BAD QUALITY CHEAP PRODUCTS.
My children can live, grow and flourish with half as much toys they have because I was able to. I will rather pay twice and buy half if they are produced here in the USA.
In fact they will do better that way because that would enable the schools being open and colleges being funded and health care more accessible.
Is this so hard to grasp, gosh my mind is exploding now. Guys have a good night. This group of bloggers are really excellent, got to know so many ideas !!!
God bless the USA and let us help to do our part as well !!
Forget all the self-righteous idelogical politicians! Listen to Bluegrass music. It'll at least make you happy for a little while!
"Nonessential" employees complain that they are nonessential when they may not get paid but are happily nonessential when there is a snowstorm.
sigh.. I see in blogs nothing changes.. Nothing solved .2 sides..Group of smart & lovely people.arguing for the same cause. yet on different sides of the fence. Whatever happened to Devided We Stand.. United We Fall? Â¶Heck if the Gov. shuts down it would be caos. Surely we don't have to be great CEO'S to know that our financial status has hit bottom. If you're seeing longer lines in the Unemplyment line Welfare Office & OR OTHER Food Bank Lines. It is because of our declining economy. IT'S ALL WALKS OF LIFE.. depending on the area you live in who are going through their own hardship. MANY ARE WITNESSING THIS Personlly in this blog..or arena as I call it..some to proud to admit it. Â¶Folks why point fingers..This is about FAM. & Single Indivisual.. YOU..Us.Everyone who if you're not in a financial situation.. YOU MAY SOON BE Â¶YES, i agree if everyone takes a cut in wages. IT Should start from the TOP. Unfortunatly Our President Obama had to be in a mess that has been growing for a long time. SIMPLY, PEACEMAKER
Why not make marijuana legal and sell it? Cuz it worth billions of dollar and should make profit out of it america could use? But sooner or later in future marijuana will be legal. Anyway it not dem's fault it all about rep's fault. Why do we need rep? Because it mostly for war. We just need protect ourself not just fly over there and invade their land. It waste of money. Dem is for education and support whatever is it. Do care about us. So down the rep throw them out!
The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid ( of course they will). Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered" nonessential" and therefore, the first to be furloughed (meaning they're useless). No IRS processing of paper tax returns or refunds (so why pay your taxes ?). The Food and Drug Administration won't operate at full capacity (like they have done a great job protecting us anyway?). Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park (like the state of California shouldn't own and take care of it anyway?) The Fed is killing us! Pay taxes to your states and forget the Fed.
I have seem better governing in High School Student Council's than from the present Congress. I resent being held hostage to the ideology of the Tea Party, and urge rational people to remember this when election time rolls around again. Governance is an act of compromise for the betterment of society, even if it runs counter to ideology. I have seen America both grow up and now seemingly lose it's mind in my lifetime. Some days I am embarrassed to now say I am American.
Nonessential employees complain that they are nonessential when they may not get paid but are happily nonessential when there is a snowstorm.