The list of collateral effects of a potential government shutdown keeps growing and people are none too pleased about it. Here are just a few of the negative impacts that could arise if Congress and the White House fail to reach an agreement on the budget (click here to view in chart form):
- The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid. Their staffers might be furloughed, though. That has prompted a few lawmakers to announceÂ they'll refuse shutdown pay,but even that has elicited critiques of political posturing.
- Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered nonessential and therefore, the first to be furloughed. That includes people who work in national parks because they'll be closed, ruining countless long family road trips. And it's not just the loss of income that hurts - for many, it's being labeled dispensable when they know their jobs are anything but nonessential.
- As the shutdown looms,Â some political leaders are taking the opportunity to fundraise and rally their supporters. The executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out an appeal asking for a minimum $5 donation saying the organization wants to raise $100,000 in the next 36 hours.
- You'll still get your Social Security checks but don't expect anyone to be around to answer your questions about benefits. The people who take questions on Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work and most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality.
- Various agencies with the Department of Health and Human Services will operate in a patchwork fashion. The National Institutes of Health will not acceptÂ new patients or start new clinical trials. The Food and Drug AdministrationÂ won't operate at full capacity but will have some inspectors on staff.Â As a result, all FDA inspections of food processing facilities and drug manufacturing plants will be prioritized by risk.
- Word is getting around that a government shutdown doesn't actually save taxpayers money. For one, it will cost the government money to ensure a smooth transition to a shutdown. Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park and DC's National Gallery of Art.
How would a government shutdown anger you?
This is insane! Could this Kenya born idiot possible do anymore damage, or was that the plan all along. My Homeland Security Investigations husband will still be working, but where will the food, rent and gas $ come from if he isnt paid? If his pay doesnt process our household will be upsidedown financially as he has to get to work and gas prices are thru the roof. Well all that needs to be said is Obama, you have done ur job well, if ur goal was to bend over our country and %$&# us royally.
Oh shut up. They aren't shutting down the food stamp offices so if you're that worried about feeding your fat mouth then go apply. "Kenya born." Did you even read the shutdown list?
Kudos to Angie
and fedwife.. gain some knowledge before ranting out of ignorance.
Wake up ! do some research before you barf. Its Bush who bankrupt America not obama.
Welcome to the real world. Many people in the private sector went through the same financial worries 2 years ago during worst part of the recession, with a lot of them still in that situation. A gov't job isn't exempt from forced pay cuts and even job cuts. How concerned were you back then for everybody lossing a paycheck?
Why can't we all just get along?
I'm in the military and have to live day by day now what do I get iou to save my house. Our lose my life .thinking about it instead of the war I'm fighting
Typical CNN liberal Obama water carrying bias.... CNN why do u call urself a news agency????????????
If "Boehner shuts down the government"??? We wouldn't even be at this point if the Democrat controlled House had had the guts to pass a budget back in the fall. Those clowns were paid close to $200K/year and they didn't do their job. If the Grand Canyon is closed for business this spring, blame Nancy Pelosi.
You're right. The GOP should use some of Obama's language and complain about "inheriting a mess" and doing the best they can with it
um ya the only problem is barack your so called leader is the one doing this, and i sure he is a democrate? get over it, Barack is a screw up andhis own dem leaders dont like him now, he will not ger re ele, he isnt even suppose to be a pres, born in africa, and that is true his family is there.. look it up, aint hard to get a birth, when you got money,
You are an idiot. You can't spell above the third grade level, so you probably are a third grader and in that case I'm wasting my time. In the event you are just a moron I will let you know that even the Republican governor of Hawaii has seen Obama's birth certificate and swears it's legit. The Hospital where Obama was born put out announcements in two different newspapers announcing Obama's birth that are on record. His birth certificate is online as well.
I'm tired of you racist backward a$$ dumb as a post rednecks spouting complete garbage about Obama.
I agree with okie (ha funny name by the way) not that obamas not a citizen but that he just flat out sucks
I find it rather disturbing that I'm only 17 and i can clearly see that the only reason we're in this mess now is because we've been getting into every other country's dirty laundry for as long as i can remember and just to think that maybe we would've been okay if EVERYONE including US(THE AMERICAN CITIZENS) could've just stopped living in a bubble and realize WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT! So don't blame these people WE put into power because there only trying to fix what EVERYBODY help fall apart.
This is a great idea but unfortunately not very realistic without a collective voice of the people.I found a website that is geared around talking about these types of issues, debate and coming up with viable solutions to present the voice of the people. Lobbyist are in our politicians pockets and our voice that we use with our votes don't work. We need a real unbiased voice. I believe this website http://www.HelpMeMrPresident.com is a chance for this voice.
Big LOL to that. Trump jumped on that Obama birther thing and that makes him a complete moron IMO.
WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!
Can anyone here read more than a dozen comments on this article and not understand why our political system is at a standstill?
This is RIDICULOUS! Why the HELL are we just hearing about this now? Less than a week before the shutdown! The politicians need to stop bickering like toddlers in the sandbox, there are Americans lives and livelihoods at stake...and now my generation and those to come has to foot the bill for mass overspending and treating the yearly budget like an overdue credit card! Personally, I hope the S.O.B.'s responsible for this catch pancreatic cancer.
Just hearing about this now? That's the problem, nobody even pays attention to or cares what's going on until mainstream media makes it a headline! This has been a year or more in the making!
Budget issues, pork belly additions, political improprieties, health care, war these are all issues that affect us everyday. We all have thoughts and opinion but have we ever been able to get these thoughts and ideas heard? We need to have a collective voice with viable solutions if we want to make changes. A website that has this exact forum is http://www.HelpMeMrPresident.com. You make the topic people comment and debate o come to a collective voice to take to the people capable to install these changes. The time is NOW TO MAKE CHANGES! http://www.helpmemrpresident.com
Thank you Tea Party, thank you Republicans! Rest assured I'll remember this when you come creeping around asking for my vote. I work for my money, I'm not on welfare or food stamps, I'm $1k above the poverty line, my bills don't shut down like the government, and I was kinda lookin' forward to my tax returns. Again, thank you SO much.
If you're looking so forward to your taxes then why'd you wait til only 8 days before the deadline to do them?
I might bot get my passport to travel to be next to my uncles surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!! ReThugs need to get out l!!!!!
Vote for me, i need a job and would love to speak for the people.... how? Hire the "unessentials" as an essential for less than these crooked politicians. Why? Cause they have something to loose and know what its like to worry about there job and worry about feeding there family. Obviously my politicians don't care cause they've been elected and have "security" Screw them all! When was the last time your government official helped you? Yeah you, the "lower" class.... the majority of this nation.... the people who go to work cause we have to, we all know that feeling in the morning, ... you think your "upper" class politician remembers? Do you think they care? .....I'm going to hold the floor again.... who's with me!