The list of collateral effects of a potential government shutdown keeps growing and people are none too pleased about it. Here are just a few of the negative impacts that could arise if Congress and the White House fail to reach an agreement on the budget (click here to view in chart form):
- The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid. Their staffers might be furloughed, though. That has prompted a few lawmakers to announceÂ they'll refuse shutdown pay,but even that has elicited critiques of political posturing.
- Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered nonessential and therefore, the first to be furloughed. That includes people who work in national parks because they'll be closed, ruining countless long family road trips. And it's not just the loss of income that hurts - for many, it's being labeled dispensable when they know their jobs are anything but nonessential.
- As the shutdown looms,Â some political leaders are taking the opportunity to fundraise and rally their supporters. The executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out an appeal asking for a minimum $5 donation saying the organization wants to raise $100,000 in the next 36 hours.
- You'll still get your Social Security checks but don't expect anyone to be around to answer your questions about benefits. The people who take questions on Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work and most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality.
- Various agencies with the Department of Health and Human Services will operate in a patchwork fashion. The National Institutes of Health will not acceptÂ new patients or start new clinical trials. The Food and Drug AdministrationÂ won't operate at full capacity but will have some inspectors on staff.Â As a result, all FDA inspections of food processing facilities and drug manufacturing plants will be prioritized by risk.
- Word is getting around that a government shutdown doesn't actually save taxpayers money. For one, it will cost the government money to ensure a smooth transition to a shutdown. Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park and DC's National Gallery of Art.
How would a government shutdown anger you?
As a legal Washington State medical marijuana patient the government shut down for me a long time ago. It is sad that this is happening,. I notice nobody is mentioning that GW Bush bankrupted America by taking her into an unnecessary war in Iraq. That had a lot to do with our current economy, The apologists wish to heap it all on Obama, who clearly inherited Bush's quagmire and failing economy, Wall street slammed the economy home, and we are all now still paying the price.
Ah, so we finally found Obama's speech writer!
The illuminati wont get away with this. In the end the only True and Living God will prevail. The illuminati is playing all sides of the fence. Death is the illuminati reward and everlasting life is mine! For God I live and for Him I will always stand even until the end of time!
I guess the abortion issue will shut down the government. Lame.
I'm also a soldier and I joined to provide for my family. I leave for afganistan in less than 45 days and I'm spoke to take leave to go see my family in a week and a half. Without gettin paid I won't be able to do that... unless you are going through this you don't know how hard it is to know that because of some people that sit behind a desk all-day can't make their minds up you can't go see your family before you go to a country that is killing Americans everyday. Yea in America we have violence but you don't see anyone getting blown up!!! I love my country to death but I have a wife and 2 kids to support so I ain't join this for free... nobody said this would happen
Yeah! Screw all the federal workers, from truck drivers to secretaries. Most of them (85%) are outside of WDC. These are your friends and neighbors. After all, federal jobs are just jobs that people get. You hate them; you know them. Wish the worst for them. Tell yourself that you're a patriot and that you're awesome!
Throw trash on Boehner's yard? What about Obama? The Republicans have a budget ready but the Senate won't pass it and Obama will veto it! So who's at fault here? The Democrats who failed to pass a budget LAST YEAR or the Republicans who are addressing the enormous debt?
Right on JB. Write on.
This is a great idea but unfortunately not very realistic without a collective voice of the people.I found a website that is geared around talking about these types of issues, debate and coming up with viable solutions to present the voice of the people. Lobbyist are in our politicians pockets and our voice that we use with our votes don't work. We need a real unbiased voice. I believe this website http://www.HelpMeMrPresident.com is a chance for this voice.
"the republican party wants to destroy the middle class"...by robbing us to give to the wealthy. "the democrats want to destroy the middle class" by robbing us to give to the poor. While we in the middle class argue over which side is destroying us more the destruction continues, unhindered and unchallenged.
It is greed destroying this country. Death to privatization. Death to the illuminati! God has made sure of that in His predestined plan for those devil followers. I see you all through the eyes of Christ holy spirit. Get out of my country, gov"t, life, and Gods creation affairs! I rebuke you in Jesus name! Amen!
The republicans demand a 40-60 billion reduction, but their sacred cows, defense and tax cuts for the wealthy, have been put in the "do not touch" catagory. Nice.
Hunting season!!!!!!!!! Yogi there are no rangers to protect the 20 poiint bucks in the camp grounds.
As the Beatle sang "Say ya wanna a revolution.." I've been thinking for the last 3 yrs it's gonna come to that
I have more friends buying guns in the last year
Time for people to take a stand I think everyone should stop paying their taxes!
Everyone b*%^hing about this: if you voted tea party THIS IS WHAT YOU GET. Especially the complaining govt employees. Vote for more logical candidates next time.
Are u all dumb? How can the whole world be broke! The money is somewhere and in someoneones pocket! Speculation and inflation is used to extort the wealth from the american people and mainly the poor. It is called financial slavery and/or opression. It is illegal and immorral! Dont pray for a corrupt government that is imtentional and dont want to change. Pray that God steps in and cleanses the filth from overseeing our supposed well being! All of them! God bless america, israel, and all He created that is good im Him!
Where's the Jergens sunless tan lotion I loves so much??
I think that if the government shuts down, we don't have to pay taxes or tolls until they bring it back up.
Fair's fair, right?