The list of collateral effects of a potential government shutdown keeps growing and people are none too pleased about it. Here are just a few of the negative impacts that could arise if Congress and the White House fail to reach an agreement on the budget (click here to view in chart form):
- The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid. Their staffers might be furloughed, though. That has prompted a few lawmakers to announceÂ they'll refuse shutdown pay,but even that has elicited critiques of political posturing.
- Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered nonessential and therefore, the first to be furloughed. That includes people who work in national parks because they'll be closed, ruining countless long family road trips. And it's not just the loss of income that hurts - for many, it's being labeled dispensable when they know their jobs are anything but nonessential.
- As the shutdown looms,Â some political leaders are taking the opportunity to fundraise and rally their supporters. The executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out an appeal asking for a minimum $5 donation saying the organization wants to raise $100,000 in the next 36 hours.
- You'll still get your Social Security checks but don't expect anyone to be around to answer your questions about benefits. The people who take questions on Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work and most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality.
- Various agencies with the Department of Health and Human Services will operate in a patchwork fashion. The National Institutes of Health will not acceptÂ new patients or start new clinical trials. The Food and Drug AdministrationÂ won't operate at full capacity but will have some inspectors on staff.Â As a result, all FDA inspections of food processing facilities and drug manufacturing plants will be prioritized by risk.
- Word is getting around that a government shutdown doesn't actually save taxpayers money. For one, it will cost the government money to ensure a smooth transition to a shutdown. Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park and DC's National Gallery of Art.
How would a government shutdown anger you?
I'm. Anger now. Because the government don't. Work for the working class people. I need help and i doing doing without help I. Think we can do without the goverment too
Yep, it appears you need help.
Hang in there.
So...the folks that are actually *responsible* for the gov't shutdown will continue to get paid, but Jane and Joe Average that actually *do* the work have to go home? Nice...
Charlie..."We employee 800,000 non-essential employees. This is money wasted each year on non-essential functions. Cut them PERMANENTLY! "
Hey Charlie? I am one of those soon-to-be-furloughed Feds, and I work in FINANCE. Do you consider finance "non-essential" and that we (my entire division is being furloughed – no money, cannot pay the bills!) should be cut permanently? Do you not consider an agency's balanced books (yes, ours are) "essential? Do you not consider a clean audit opinion "essential" (we get one every year)?
Trust me, all of those things are VERY essential for an effeciently operationg agency. Ours is. The only reason we are being furloughed is, as I said...no money, finance people cannot do our jobs. So those "non-essential" employees ARE essential. We are just not allowed to do our jobs, which we want to do, by law during a shutdown.
Your ignorance is shining through as bright as the sun. Please know the facts before you post.
Dont you understand that the dealings of Private Lang Management is at stake becuase of this. In Every state thier is a BLM or Federal Land Managment. These offices hold records and permits of lease and gold prospecting sites and have non-essential "assisstants" that handle the majority of paperwork. These assistants will be considered non-essential, so just make sure you swing by your local BLM office to make sure that someones still manning the post. I guess that the Govt. is taking lessons from those control tower peoples.
Ghost of Uncle Sam? Yes, actually I understand that quite well. I work for that Cabinet agency that BLM is a part of...
Obama is a leader? On what planet would that be true? He did more than his share to perpetuate the problem that 'suddenly reared its ugly head' and began shortly before he took office; now the media claims 'Obama has remained above the fray'. Huh? He caused and perpetuates the fray. Impeach; plain and simple. There is plenty of grounds to bring Articles of Impeachment against him and his ilk.
Klaatu barada nikto
And futher more, get all of these freeloading mexicans and all other foreingnors out of our country.. These insects are a major drag on OUR society and OUR services.. We worked for them, they do nothing but collect OUR benefits that WE pay into for times like this.
Most of us probably won't even notice. This government doesn't run my life - it ruins my life. I would have been better off if this government would have had its hands out of my pockets and out of my life for the past 43 years. All I need is a big gun, the 10 Commandments, and the Golden Rule. These drama queens in Washington need to be tarred, feathered, and exiled. We're better off without them.
What I'm saying is, we don't need these clowns in Washington. We need less government, fewer drama queens, and more American citizens who have the gumption to stand on their own two feet, as our ancestors did when they came over here seeking nothing from government but the chance to be left alone to seek their own destinies.
A big gun, the 10 commandments & the golden rule? Thou shalt not kill & do to others and you would have them do unto you? What about "love your enemy" & "turn the other cheek"? I guess you only pick & choose what you follow.
Well this is real cute, how do you expect people to make a living, as it is now its hard to live, then you guys are making it even harder on us... I mean i work for a living through the state, so therefore i'm frigged..... Some kind of a conclusion has to be made, i'm a 23 yr old married woman and trying to start a life
Captain Queeg for president.
I cant help but LAUGH at all these posts. You all are a bunch of whiny idiots who LET these things happen.
-Soldiers not getting paid? Then leave! Stop kissing ass and leave...if you dont get paid, you dont work. The End.
-Tired of the government? REBEL! Get off your asses and march your ass down there and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
-800,000 people will be out of work...I hope to God 800,000 people run into Cngres and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
Basically what im saying is.....GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Stop whining, stop letting the govt ruin you. If youre a soldier and dont get paid...DONT WORK. You have freedoms, rights, liberties...USE THEM.
@CB When you sign your contract to join the military you give up many of your rights including your right to sue the government. I am bound by law to report for duty when commanded. I dont expect someone like you to understand professionalism and commitment to duty.
I volunteered to join the military. I volunteered to serve this country and ALL of its inhabitants, even the ignorant ones. If I choose to abandon my post then I will be labeled as AWOL (Away Without Leave) and once found they will send me to jail... without pay. It is a privilege to serve the people of this country and the benefits are the best of any nations military. Do I get paid enough to have a six month "rainy day" savings? No. I know that eventually the politicians will work something out and I will get back pay for the time that I did show up to work. This does not make everything right, nor does it mean that I am happy about it. It is YOU the American citizen that has the ability to strike and to protest, not I. I forfeit many of my rights as an American citizen when I joined the military. I gave up these rights so that you would not have to. Many of the posts in this forum are entertaining to read and I truly do enjoy reading them... it tells me that the freedom of speech is thriving; even if it is falling on deaf ears. Go vote! Go protest! GO DO YOUR PART to save this nation; but please do not underestimate the willingness of the military service member to get the job done... At least we volunteered our time and sacrificed our rights to do so.
AMEN to USMC and USAF!!!!
Growing up an immigrant in this country since 1974, becoming a US citizen and learning about how this great country came to be, I am very distressed at where we are all heading. My family came to America to MAKE a better life not to be GIVEN or DEMAND a better life. Depending sooo much on government and the politicians to make our lives better is why many immigrants left their native homes to come to the US. Where should we all go now?
So I guess letting companies like GE who made billions but paid $0 taxes is okay after all?
It's time for "WE THE PEOPLE" to start the next American revolution.
You mean "for US the people". We cannot be the object of a preposition.
Lock 'n' Load... It's time for the fourth box of democracy... The ammo box!
And CB, what have you done?
Maybe it's time for you to get off your lazy a$$ and do something.