The list of collateral effects of a potential government shutdown keeps growing and people are none too pleased about it. Here are just a few of the negative impacts that could arise if Congress and the White House fail to reach an agreement on the budget (click here to view in chart form):
- The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid. Their staffers might be furloughed, though. That has prompted a few lawmakers to announceÂ they'll refuse shutdown pay,but even that has elicited critiques of political posturing.
- Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered nonessential and therefore, the first to be furloughed. That includes people who work in national parks because they'll be closed, ruining countless long family road trips. And it's not just the loss of income that hurts - for many, it's being labeled dispensable when they know their jobs are anything but nonessential.
- As the shutdown looms,Â some political leaders are taking the opportunity to fundraise and rally their supporters. The executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out an appeal asking for a minimum $5 donation saying the organization wants to raise $100,000 in the next 36 hours.
- You'll still get your Social Security checks but don't expect anyone to be around to answer your questions about benefits. The people who take questions on Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work and most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality.
- Various agencies with the Department of Health and Human Services will operate in a patchwork fashion. The National Institutes of Health will not acceptÂ new patients or start new clinical trials. The Food and Drug AdministrationÂ won't operate at full capacity but will have some inspectors on staff.Â As a result, all FDA inspections of food processing facilities and drug manufacturing plants will be prioritized by risk.
- Word is getting around that a government shutdown doesn't actually save taxpayers money. For one, it will cost the government money to ensure a smooth transition to a shutdown. Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park and DC's National Gallery of Art.
How would a government shutdown anger you?
Everyone should quit watching tv for one month. It will open your eyes to how much it it just a pacifier for the masses.
About the shut-down.... I think the Founding Fathers would have been aghast at what's happened to their beloved country. None of these idiots should be running the country. We need legal "votes of confidence" and then boot the bums out of office. Then again, who would run the voting booths for the confdence vote?? Hmmm... We need to pull our troops home, and stay out of civil wars in other countries, and "save" the hundreds of billions of dollars we are throwing away in these stupid wars. Honor the soldiers, but get them HOME. That will get us out of debt pronto!
The majority of people in this country have absolutely NO IDEA what is about to happen to us. This Country has been in a free fall since Clinton left office. Whomever wins the 2012 nomination will be butchered just the two before him/her. You can't fix what we have broken, there are simply too many problems occuring at once mainly at the expense of the top 5% wealthiest and our lovely politicians.
Start buying your dried beans and rice, because we are all gonna need it.
Let's not forget that Pelosi and Reid could have been working on the Budget last year but decided Mid-Term elections for their fellow Democrats were more important than the financial security of the US. Blame it Pelosi and Reid if the gov shuts down!
Yo! I Betta get my tax return dallaz!
Wow..makes me wish some of you were on one of the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center. Your worthlessness knows NO limits.
I love the CNN headline. There was nothing on that list that will ruin my day. If this temporary inconvenience is the starting point to get our government back on track and the spending in line, it is a very small price to pay.
ok listen, Clinton was ostrisized because he was a draft dodger, OBAMA was NEVER in the military, oh wait he was in the TERRORIST military as a child. Clinton was castrated because he "never inhaled" while smoking pot. OBAMA wrote a fricken book about him smoking CRACK, dropping ACID and smoking DOPE hello idiots of the world!!!! Obama never kept any of his promises, we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan in fact we are in other countries now too like Libya, Bahrain and still Kuwait too, I'm certain Pakistan is on his hit list, oh wait the unmanned bombers have been in Pakistan for a couple years now too does that count? What about the deficit he PROMISED he'd cut in half? well he didn't in fact it's QUADROOPLED. We are on the verge of a Gov't shutdown because of this fool! Ok so I have the solution and I can't believe why it has never been talked about... GET RID OF CCAS DEPLOYMENTS and GET RID OF GOV'T CONTRACTORS in theater. HMMMMMM that would save TRILLIONS of dollars. If you don't know what a CCAS deployment or a Gov't Contractor in theater is they are people who go out and sit on thier butts to supposedly "support" the "warfighter". UMMMMMM there are no "warfighters" in Iraq they are in COIN operations, the military is supporting the Iraqi Gov'ts military so why the hell do we have over 75 thousand civilians in Iraq earning well over 100 thousand dollars a year plus bonuses while the average soldier earns 50 thousand a year? Ok what about Afghanistan 125 thousand Civilians doing the same thing earning the same ammounts? All this since the wars began? Blackwater we've all heard of them, they gave us HUGE black eyes because they didn't care who they killed over there and they were making 300 thousand plus per person per year and killed kids and women and didn't answer to ANYONE because they are not military they are contractors. OK back home, what about the broad who can't keep her legs out of the air sleeping with every man she can to have as many kids as she can to earn the 1000 bucks a month for every kid? why would she want a job, she has one! I'm talking about Social Security and Welfare can you say 28% of our total budget being OUT OF CONTROL? HOLY SMOKES but he sure did fix our Health Care, try UNHEALTHY care! rates trippled and the care you get is halved? good job mr president! how about we try something new in 2012!
CNN, why no stories on the obama administration and the rising cost of gasoline, would it show this clown in a bad light, whats this going to do to the economy ? When Bush was in all we heard was how he was tied to big oil.
I know both sides do it but what bothered me yesterday was the rider that the Republicans put on the bill to fund the military for the rest of the year. The rider removed funding for planned parenthood. They then tried to say that not supporting the bill was not supporting our troops. It would be nice if they could separate ideology from the essentials needed to get our most urgent services covered. I swear, congress counts on people being stupid enought to buy into their crap.
I'm in the military, and this whole thing just sucks. I have a newborn on the way and now I have to worry about how I will get food in his stomach. The thing about America is, people will complain up and down on the internet about how messed up this whole situation is. But will America, as a whole, band together to bring about the real change, or will they stand by, saying "Someone else will take care of it." We will do what we always do, but how far is to far?
It is time for mass demonstrations....maybe a mega million man/woman/children march, everywhere all over the country.
We have men and women overseas to protect our freedom here in the U.S. Some even paying the ultimate price with their lives. You would think that Congress would appreciate this and make sure that these men and women would be paid first so their family would be able to live while they are going way above and beyond than those in Washington. I would like to see how the members of Congress would react if they were not going to be paid.
Obama spent more than 2 MILLION $$ in legal fees to avoid the birth certificate issue. He was GIVEN a certificate of live birth...not a birth certificate. Huge difference. The subject is worn, but still the facts remain unseen. As American citizens we have a right to know without a doubt that he is legit. We have to produce Birth certificates, social security cards and all docs in between to get a drivers license. He should have to prove his citizenship to sit in the big seat. For someone with nothing to hide, he sure spends alot of money hiding it.
No, Obama isn't the sole cause of this American meltdown, but he apparently is not the leader needed to get it done.