The list of collateral effects of a potential government shutdown keeps growing and people are none too pleased about it. Here are just a few of the negative impacts that could arise if Congress and the White House fail to reach an agreement on the budget (click here to view in chart form):
- The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid. Their staffers might be furloughed, though. That has prompted a few lawmakers to announceÂ they'll refuse shutdown pay,but even that has elicited critiques of political posturing.
- Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered nonessential and therefore, the first to be furloughed. That includes people who work in national parks because they'll be closed, ruining countless long family road trips. And it's not just the loss of income that hurts - for many, it's being labeled dispensable when they know their jobs are anything but nonessential.
- As the shutdown looms,Â some political leaders are taking the opportunity to fundraise and rally their supporters. The executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out an appeal asking for a minimum $5 donation saying the organization wants to raise $100,000 in the next 36 hours.
- You'll still get your Social Security checks but don't expect anyone to be around to answer your questions about benefits. The people who take questions on Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work and most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality.
- Various agencies with the Department of Health and Human Services will operate in a patchwork fashion. The National Institutes of Health will not acceptÂ new patients or start new clinical trials. The Food and Drug AdministrationÂ won't operate at full capacity but will have some inspectors on staff.Â As a result, all FDA inspections of food processing facilities and drug manufacturing plants will be prioritized by risk.
- Word is getting around that a government shutdown doesn't actually save taxpayers money. For one, it will cost the government money to ensure a smooth transition to a shutdown. Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park and DC's National Gallery of Art.
How would a government shutdown anger you?
Shut it down!–I don't think any of the scare-tactics will work.
Eliminate the pork-jobs, visitor center staff, and everything else un-necessary, or used only by those on the dole.
Fend for yourselves, because obviously, government is not going to help in a time of great need. They want to CONTROL!!!! not help.
Time to go all Egypt on the governments a$$
We don't get paid when we don't work, why do they? It's disgusting.
This is ridiculous. Obama'd birthplace? Still going on about that? PATHETIC. I really do feel for our soldiers who are out there putting their lives on the line so each one of us can freely ramble on and on and on....I hope they get it together so that people have paychecks to take home and so that our soldiers, ESPECIALLY our soldiers get paid!!!
Lol! ***Obama's**** Darn phone and its autocorrect!
This list is a joke...where was the leadership during CR 1. All politicians should see this as a wake up call.
The most disgusting part of this is that both parties are using this shutdown for political gain. I mean fundraising to help get them reelected? Really? I would think that they would be focused on the task at hand and get a budget passed. Also I'm very ashamed of the president. When he knew that we were facing this potential shutdown he was not even leading the group to help get the negations moving until it too late. If we a great president he would be focused on this and not running around to other meetings. We need someone who will lead and not play the political games that the other are playing. Members in congress are playing games and poking jokes at each other instead of getting to the bottom of the situation. It is a very sad state of affairs when you have both sides grandstanding and neither side wanting to work with each other. I wish we could vote them all out of office and put people in there that would do their jobs instead of campaigning constantly.
Shut it down
The National Cherry Blossom Festival (Parade and all events) will indeed be held as scheduled – please correct your error!
How do you expect troops to serve their country, when the country is not serving them... I mean really!!!! Military families are already under a stress level that the average person can't even began to imagine and now this. Thanks land of the free.
OMG! Nobody will be manning the phone to answer questions I have about social security benefits? I will have to resort to Yahoo! Answers?? CNN, you're right – this will absolutely RUIN my day. The government run gift shops will be closed too? This will also ruin my day – and I think it's time to take a stand: I, for one, am ready to open up my wallet to fund these critical services. Just tell me how much and where to send the check!!! Join me!
Congress will still be paid but 800,000 ordinary workers will suffer. Weird...?
All of you upset over politicians who can't balance a budget, but did any of you step back and realize who put these clowns in office to begin with?
I am going to go burn a pile of tea bags in protest of the tea party idiots who are now in congress. Pull your tea bags out of your a... gentlemen and women.