The list of collateral effects of a potential government shutdown keeps growing and people are none too pleased about it. Here are just a few of the negative impacts that could arise if Congress and the White House fail to reach an agreement on the budget (click here to view in chart form):
- The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid. Their staffers might be furloughed, though. That has prompted a few lawmakers to announce they'll refuse shutdown pay,but even that has elicited critiques of political posturing.
- Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered nonessential and therefore, the first to be furloughed. That includes people who work in national parks because they'll be closed, ruining countless long family road trips. And it's not just the loss of income that hurts - for many, it's being labeled dispensable when they know their jobs are anything but nonessential.
- As the shutdown looms, some political leaders are taking the opportunity to fundraise and rally their supporters. The executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out an appeal asking for a minimum $5 donation saying the organization wants to raise $100,000 in the next 36 hours.
- You'll still get your Social Security checks but don't expect anyone to be around to answer your questions about benefits. The people who take questions on Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work and most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality.
- Various agencies with the Department of Health and Human Services will operate in a patchwork fashion. The National Institutes of Health will not accept new patients or start new clinical trials. The Food and Drug Administration won't operate at full capacity but will have some inspectors on staff. As a result, all FDA inspections of food processing facilities and drug manufacturing plants will be prioritized by risk.
- Word is getting around that a government shutdown doesn't actually save taxpayers money. For one, it will cost the government money to ensure a smooth transition to a shutdown. Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park and DC's National Gallery of Art.
How would a government shutdown anger you?
Right on James!
After all, I dont ever use anything related to government or funded by the feds. I dont drive on their highways, I dont go to their parks, I dont use police or fire services (some funding comes from the feds), I dont use pell grants (any more), I dont rely upon the military to protect me, I dont rely upon the FDA or USDA to ensure my food and drugs are safe
After all, anyone who did those things would be a parasite!
All the soldiers and airmen who protect our country are parasites? I'm sure they appreciate the label.
So screw the people who had vacations planned for months in national parks. Screw the people over seas. Screw nearly 1 million people because they got a job that you couldnt. Screw the fact that were actually going to have to pay more to transition to a shutdown. Screw that, the politicians are getting paid through this even though they havent done thier job thats why we are having a shut down. No, instead we should be screwing people like you. The F everyone else because it doesnt effect me crowd....you are whats wrong with this world.
Congress could care less if their pay was held up. They are mostly millionaires. This will give them more time to raise money for reelection. That is the ONLY thing they care about!
It makes sense not to spend money we don't have, but does that money have to come from the hides of the poor and middle class? The super-rich neither deserve or need all that money!
I think what you mean is "Congress couldn't care less", unless you feel they actually do care, and "could care less".
And here I thought I was the only one who found that mistake to be annoying...:)
Wow I never thought about it but I always thought it was I could care less but it makes sense that it is couldn't. Wow, next I will be hearing it isn't an alterior motive but ulterior.
My mom turns 80 this weekend and has always wanted to go up in the St Louis Arch. Our family is coming from all around and our tickets are for Saturday morning. If the govt shuts down it will be shut down. Yes this is a big deal for her. Of course the selfish congressmen don't understand such things.
Tell mom happy Birthday for me. You can still go, it is kind of hard to miss. If the park is closed I'll bet you can make mom have a good time anyway.
You may want to use the internet to see if the Arch is federal, state or local operated. Only the federal government is shutting down. State and local governments and their property is open with business as usual.
How is blaming any party a solution. Republicans and democrats are all the same. Sure they may have differing opinions but they all boil down to the same thing. They are liars and scammers and are no better equipped to balance our laughable defecit than a average high schooler. We are the lazy Americans who point fingers and name call instead of figuring out a way to save the America we were raised to idolize. I hear the complaining but yet no one does anything. The elite wealthy politicians are laughing all the way to the bank. Too depressing.
..I think I love you...
Amen, sister! These people we elect to Congress are supposed to represent US. Well, we Americans want a solution to the budget and are tired of the bickering! Neither party is going to get what they want (Hear that Dems! Hear that Repubs! Hear that Tea Party who has already rejected 2 agreements!!), so just find a compromise and lets get back to work!
Each and every one of the members of Congress should tender their resignations immediately. The level of incompetence of these people is astounding and disgraceful.
LOL James, were you born stupid or did you have to work at it?.
it is all bullsht, we need to revolt and start throwing our so called leaders out, other countries do it and we stick our nose in that too!! how bout we all just stop filing our taxes, how would the IRS come after us all, i have pretty much written off my chance of getting social security, just pay me what I have contributed. Shameful what this country has come to.
Revolution. Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm totally on board. If these soldiers really wanted to serve our country they'd be on board too. Because right now, they're just serving political agendas. I wonder if I get a loan to buy some rifles and ammo.
Really? So, upon just arriving at a new duty station and not having a car anymore so having to resort to renting a car for now because our old car is toast is just something that should be just fine? We can't afford to live on this budget for long. Buying groceries, paying bills, and on top of that, renting a dang car for 40 bucks a day when we were supposed to buy a car in the next couple weeks is not my idea of something to not "whine" over.
you're still whining
wha wha wha....figures another soldier whining...ARMY...Ain't Ready to be a Marine Yet!!!
Don't listen to that guy. This won't bother him because he is 32 and lives in his mother's basement. His Mommy will keep him supplied with chocolate milk and cheese doodles. Hang in there. Go to ACS and try Emergency relief. Good luck.
Look, We voted these guys in. Seems like we are gettilg what We asked for...
Government should be shutdown until the taxes revenues are slightly larger than the expenditures. This should be done with many spending cuts. I want lawmakers to have to justify every cent of spending before they can raise more taxes. People who are inessential should not have government jobs period. A correction needs to be made. I do not spend more than essential unless I have "disposable" income. So should the government. There is no disposable income until the national debt is paid off. (My opinion)
We are not unessential. The term is non exempt. There are people who are not going to get paid money owed to them if I am not at work. i bet they consider me essential. The program I work in actually generates money for the govt. we take in fees and don't get much of it back. it goes into the black hole of Congress General budget. What is non essential is most of our military spending and many of the congresspersons pet grants. And how essential are you at your job?
How is military non essential your an idiot.
Hey Dana before you criticize try reading AND comprehending. By the way, if Bush and the cronies wouldn't have started the black hole conflicts we are in we wouldn't need such a large military or the bloated budget it requires.
we should all have our employers stop taking taxes out of our paychecks, send me a bill IRS, catch us all if you can...
Dear James I am one of those so called parasite that served in the military for 13 years and was medically discharged and depend on that military paycheck to get by since i am unable to work for anyone company considering I ,plus several of my other pals from the service destroyed our bodies to give you the right to call us a parasite. Enjoy yourself and before you write something like this why don't you go to Brooke Army medical center or to Walter Reed and tell some of those people what you said here and see where that takes your day A** Clown!
IGNORANCE IS BLISS ........NOT!